• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Tim.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • HTC Desire S + Bluetooth GPS
  • Tim
    Free Member

Anyone use this setup?

The GPS on the phone is shoddy at best. I want to be able to connect a Bluetooth GPS dongle to feed things like Endomondo and then I can stick phone in a waterproof bag in camelbak.

I’ve done this with past less smart phones. Problem is that the Desire doesn’t ‘see’ the dongle so I can’t pair it.

Anyone done this or know of any compatible Bluetooth GPS recievers?

Cheers

Tim

Flaperon

You might be able to do with with an app that generates mock locations (usually used for testing purposes). No idea if someone has actually written such an app, though, and it’s conditional on HTC leaving the “Allow Mock Locations” option in the settings page.

Edit:

And lo, it exists…
    http://www.appbrain.com/app/bluetooth-gps/googoo.android.btgps

Tim
    Free Member

You can do that and there are apps that theoretically work.

Its the pairing I’m having the issue with, I need a compatible GPS doofer.

Flaperon

I would expect the app to handle the Bluetooth pairing. Are you absolutely sure the Bluetooth dongle is discoverable?

clubber
    Free Member

Odd. I find my Desire S’s GPS to be far more accurate than it really should be for a mobile… A lot of my riding’s under trees and it still seems to be accurate – within 10m most of the time, certainly rarely more than 50m

That said, some apps are better than others at filtering out bad results. I use everytrail pro and find it pretty good.

I would seriously consider whether there’s a problem with your phone…

(and thinking about it, this is my second Desire S – the first was similarly accurate)

edit – thinking about it more and having a quick look at my logged everytrail routes, it’s typically accurate to about 5m – the tracks certainly follow the actual trails on the map.

cp

My experience is as clubber – really accurate GPS on my desire s.

psychobiker
    Free Member

Ace GPS on my Desire S, with Endomondo, I do use GPS fix though, which just retingles the GPS signal via an internet connection (I think).

Tim
    Free Member

Cheers. I’ve grabbed gpsfix, so will see if that helps.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘HTC Desire S + Bluetooth GPS’ is closed to new replies.