Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • HR Q? My boss sent me home sick I wanted to stay.
  • Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Hiya

Sorry, quick look at 2 pages of Google proved inconclusive.

My 1st day back after week annual leave entitlement today; got into work and told my boss I was recovering from Tonsilitis; I’m about 4 days into it. I was initially coming in to do a half day then would re-assess how I felt at lunchtime.
    My illness is not official, not consulted the Dr. but I’ve had it enough times to know what to look for (torch down the throat, lots of white spots, feels like I’m swallowing swords). Combined with a hacking cough. (My wife has laryngitis at same time)

Boss said to go home straight away, I said I’d prefer to work and catch up a bit (having been away), then he got distracted by something.

He came and found me again 10 minutes later and ‘insisted’ I went home; He said it in a louder voice and stressed manner saying he couldn’t afford any of the other staff getting sick as its small company and my line manger is off long-term. I wasn’t in the mood for an argument (We have a stressed working relationship as it is), so I ducked out and agreed.

I really felt like he was proper insisting I went home, but if I am away more than 3 days he also said he’d want a doctors note.
    The only sick pay I get is Statutory which of course only kicks in on the 4th day hence why he then wants a doctors note.
    In essence as far as I’m concerned if I don’t go to work, I don’t get paid.
    Is my boss allowed to insist upon me going home when I’m Ill. Do I really need to go thru the hassle of seeing the doctor for either a confirmation of ability to work/ confirmation of illness. My GP says they don’t normally give them out for anything less than 7 days.

trail_rat
    Free Member

go to the doctors then

quite right not to keep you about – if all his staff get tonselitus then your going to look mighty silly. if you were in my office with your hacking cough every 2 minutes either youd be going home or i would !

work from home if you have to !

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

His call to send you home sick -= I have done so in the past.

On more dodgy ground asking for a sick note for under 7 days absence.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

– if all his staff get tonselitus then your going to look mighty silly.

True, but if I don’t get paid at all for 1st three days, and then only minimal beyond that, that’s quite a big hit, and as far as I’m concerned, his fault for being a cheapskate; double edged sword. Don’t do sick pay to save money and abuse of the system, but risk increased cross-infection from staff sickness. It’s a dog-eat-dog world out there.

Forgot to mention I’m retail worker btw, nothing I can do from home.

trail_rat
    Free Member

also – had you gone to the doctors on your annual leave and got a sick note then back at the start – you might have found you got your holidays back – check your contract.

every contract ive signed has had that clause in it – although that might be due to the nature of my work.

binners

Never mind getting on here moaning about it, Cash in the Attic’s on in a minute.

Sort your priorities out FFS!!! 🙄

jota180
    Free Member

but if I don’t get paid at all for 1st three days, and then only minimal beyond that, that’s quite a big hit,

that’s unfortunate but he has a duty to other staff and customers too

sadmadalan

His call. You need to get a note from the Doc saying that you are fit enough for work! You only need a doc note when you are sick for 7 consecutive days, otherwise you can self certify.

Just remember that he has a duty of care to you AND to all the other employees. Just because you feel well enough, does not mean that you are well enough to work.

(We used to have contractors who would come into work regardless of how sick they were because they could not afford to be sick. They needed to plan how to cope when they were going to be sick.)

trail_rat
    Free Member

well on that information – i wouldnt want you working in retail ill either – from a customer point of view im unlikely to deal with someone with a really bad cough – i had tonsellitus last week and would not have wanted to meet me in work , shop or a pub etc ….

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

EDIT trail rat My contract is new (was verbal up until 8 months ago) and it’s so grey in it’s terminology it may as well have been written on a dishcloth, that kind of malarky probably hasn’t even been considered by any of us.

Guess I’ll MTFU then, and be on my GP’s doorstep at 8am tomorrow for an appointment to yay or nay it then.

binners I was hanging out for the 1.30 movie, otherwise I’ll just catch up on my ebaying

FuzzyWuzzy

Sounds more like strep throat to me than tonsillitis and you should get antibiotics for it so should be seeing your GP anyway.
    As for getting sent home – I’m with your boss on this, I friggin hate people that come into the office coughing and sneezing etc. only to spread it around.

Sandwich

You’re willing to work, he sent you home. You are due pay until the doc certifies you not-fit for work. The boss is not medically qualified and can’t certify you sick.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

You’re willing to work, he sent you home. You are due pay until the doc certifies you not-fit for work. The boss is not medically qualified and can’t certify you sick.

Not true at all.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Your boss can make you take a days holiday whenever he wants.

He can send you home sick.

If you self-certify that you’re well enough and he decides otherwise… I’m not sure on what the standpoint is regarding a sick note.

jon1973
    Free Member

So if you work at a checkout in a supermarket and you’re vomiting in to a paper bag every 20 mins, there is nothing the company can do?

gsp1984
    Free Member

Out of respect for the other people at work you should just stay at home, i think your boss was correct in what he has done. You should still get sick pay though I would have thought. Can you not work remotely temporarily until you feel better?

I hate it when people come in to work with a raging flu or bad cold, and it sounds like you’ve already caught a spreadable bad cough which highlights the point… people come in ill then spread it around, end up giving it me and put my training back a couple of weeks, then there’s the risk of post viral fatigue. It’s better for everyone just to have a couple of days at home until your better.

binners

What’s the 1.30 movie then? Worth sticking around for? Or have you resorted to Come Dine With Me re-runs?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member

Your boss can make you take a days holiday whenever he wants.

Nope – holiday is either laid down in your contract what days to take or taken at mutual convenience

he can send you home sick tho

binners

What time’s Countdown on?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

TeeJ – I believe you’re wrong on that one. But I guess there’s no telling you.

jota180
    Free Member

Nope – holiday is either laid down in your contract what days to take or taken at mutual convenience

No

I used to work fort a place that would randomly give people a week’s holiday when it was quiet, it was questioned and challenged and found to be perfectly legal

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘HR Q? My boss sent me home sick I wanted to stay.’ is closed to new replies.