• This topic has 52 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • HR advice regarding child care
  • Drac

Department managers can quite easily evidence increased workloads (and can even create them) to prove that older contracts need to be changed.

Of course they could but would be classed as bullying or constructive dismissal. This was recently tried with a relative their manager tried that utter nonsense you’ve just proposed. I was asked for advice from the relative, they took it spoke to a senior manager and HR. The other manager in question now has a new job elsewhere on a lower pay. My relative has kept her flexible working.

project
    Free Member

tjagain – Member
    Project – my guess is thats what is happening

Bloody HELL we agree on something, sadly a lot of companies are using the same tactics or using modern slavery techniques eg forcing staff to work long hours for the benefit of the company,and to protect their jobs, (their words), to save recruiting new staff to help out.

surfer
    Free Member

significant – and it has to be so – changes to the employers situation then changes can be made but making up stuff as you suggest just gets employers into a lot of trouble

These arent “made up” and I could evidence why in almost every department of my organisation we have more work than we can currently handle, almost every organisation can do the same. You may have a “slide rule” interpretation where work=hours but I for one could work 18 hours a day and still leave work to do, Many of us do. I can easily make a case for reversing a decision to allow a team member to go from 5 days a week to 4 and when these changes are agreed it is not because the employee by some incredible coincidence has only enough work to fill 4 days! it is because other people pick up the slack or I decide certain parts of that role can be moved/removed.
    I suspect given your profession your interpretation is skewed in the same way as mine is skewed because changes like this are not rare.

Of course they could but would be classed as bullying or constructive dismissal

No it wouldnt. I used the word “evidence”

Just to be clear I would only ever try to change a contract or one of my teams working arrangements if their was a genuine reason to do so. People arrange their lives around working hours and I would always be as supportive as I could with my teams so I would never change these to be vindictive. I am just making the point that these things are not written in stone as some on this thread would indicate.

Drac

Hold on you forgot the important bit.

increased workloads (and can even create them) to prove that older contracts need to be changed.

surfer
    Free Member

increased workloads (and can even create them) to prove that older contracts need to be changed

Your looking for something that isnt there Drac. I meant legitimately “create” them by taking on extra contracts, approving projects, moving workloads etc. You seem to think that I am justifying under handed working practices. I am not.

Drac

It read that way.

Either way your trying to force a change of contact you can’t just go ahead and do that, it’s possible but far from easy for an employer to do. Increasing workload, especially creating them, won’t win it as their would be other options before making changes to someone’s contract.

surfer
    Free Member

force a change of contact you can’t just go ahead and do that

Or

it’s possible but far from easy for an employer to do

Which is it?

their would be other options before making changes to someone’s contract.

Nope, depends on skill set and if theirs was easily replaceable.

Drac

Which is it?

What do you mean? I take it you don’t negotiate with your staff that you just tell them your changing their hours.

Nope, depends on skill set and if theirs was easily replaceable.

Skill set or not you have to look at other options, you can’t just go ahead and change someone’s contract because your business can’t deal with the workload.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

But claiming “All companies have a duty to accept reasonable adjustments for family friendly working.” is wrong. They can consider proposals, offer options but they are not obliged to accept them if they can’t be achieved.

Sure. But if we’re going to massively clamp down on immigration, we are going to have to start giving professional British born women a good reason to have kids again – as it is now, birth rates will probably drop down to 1.2/1.3 and we’ll end up like Japan – **** economically.

UK businesses think too much in the short term, instead of how their businesses and workers will cope with a rapidly ageing population.

tjagain

surfer – creating extra workload would not be a suitable reason – really easy to counter that one. Simple no brainer win at tribunal.

Drac

Sure. But if we’re going to massively clamp down on immigration, we are going to have to start giving professional British born women a good reason to have kids again – as it is now, birth rates will probably drop down to 1.2/1.3 and we’ll end up like Japan – **** economically.

😯

surfer
    Free Member

I take it you don’t negotiate with your staff that you just tell them your changing their hours.

Of course and whether I wanted to or not (and I did make that clear earlier) Policy and law dictates I do. Straw man.
    Firstly you said that it cant be done, then you said it could. Which is what I had stated.

Drac

Firstly you said that it cant be done, then you said it could. Which is what I had stated.

Your tone was suggestive that employees has no choice to change that’s what I and TJ were challenging as they dont. Hence why you can ask for it be done but if an employee says no you then you’re stuck, even when you create them more work.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘HR advice regarding child care’ is closed to new replies.