Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • How's the UK at the moment?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Sometime next year I’ll be making a guest appearance in Blighty. As far as I know I have got some work for the period of my stay, which will be around three months, but I was wondering in general what the noticable effects of the economic downturn are.
    I am receiving lots of emails from CRC, Wiggle and Merlin, so I guess the biking industry is starting to suffer.
    On one hand things here (Spain) are pretty 5hitty, but on the other the recession is quite positive. Positive in the respect that the country should be in a more realistic economic position than the everything built on credit situation we had before and the fact that people are more willing to show their true (selfish) colours. 😀 That said there are some people who are demonstrating their positive side too, which is equally good.

What’s happening over there? (Or is this too heavy for a Sunday??? 😉 )

CHB

Any answer you get this week will be out of date in a couple of weeks time after the spending review is announced.

I think we are selling off all the nations pensioners, they are too expensive, and apparently can replace coal at power stations. I am sure I read something like that on the front cover of the Dail Mail.

MrNutt
    Free Member

mobile phones give you cancer apparently

skiboy
    Free Member

i’m in the science research industry and we have enjoyed a rather prosperous last two years, even had a good rise a few months back, But saying that you can see the effects of the recession with the companies we use for sub contract work, they are generally engineering companies and there is not much work around,

on the street confidence is knocked for sure, but up at the mall you would hardly notice it,

lots of houses for sale on the street i live on, and the people across the road keep having the bailiffs around (not being nosey, they are friends and told us? ) as a guide their house is worth around 3-400K and he is self employed as a plumber

spooky_b329

You won’t notice anything different…except every high street has a gap where Woolsworths used to be.

skiboy
    Free Member

and there is more TK Max than there used to be

donsimon
    Free Member

What’s TK Max?

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s a cheap shop that seems to get it’s stock from closing down/warehouse clearances.

some of it’s good, some of it is tat.

The main effect of the economic downturn is that everyone i know has so much work we don’t know what to do with it…

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

TK Maxx is the UK variant of an American chain called TJ Maxx which sells a range of end of line branded goods at knock-down prices.

Anything from golf clubs to jeans, via ski jackets and underwear.

The shops typically resemble the scene 30 seconds after a UN aid drop in a war ravaged third world country. Aisles littered with detritus as the assembled public fight over the last pair of charcoal grey bootcut cords in 32/32 etc etc.

That said, there are some good bargains to be had if you’re willing to look.

MrNutt
    Free Member

did some one say charcoal grey bootcuts? where??! which store?!!?? NOW!!!

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

#
    MrNutt – Member

did some one say charcoal grey bootcuts? where??! which store?!!?? NOW!!!
    Posted 5 minutes ago # Report-Post

Invariably, it turns out to be just a wild rumour. Too late, they realise they’re competing over some lime green leisure slacks with ‘Le Coq Sportif’ emblazoned down the side in pink stitching.

Drac

The UK is making cut backs in areas it’s never had to for generations and many of them it should have years ago. Whether there being done in the right way is debatable but I know my pension, pay and retirement plans are being affected working in the public sector.

Industries have/are suffering but that seems to be a 20 year cycle.

Others seem to think that houses for sale means all hope is lost, there’s about 4 or 5 sold in my small street this last year. I see that as a good thing not many sold before that and prices up here have hardly changed.

It’ll will bother you as much as you let it or if your one of the many unfortunate ones who have lost their job.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it will be brilliant when you get here. Half a million lazy public sectors workers [ firemen , police, social workers – spongers I call them] will have been sacked and had to enter benefits the real world of private industry as a huge wave of private enterprise sweeps the nation powering a phenmomenal economic recovery. The elated people, unshackled by big government, will all be busy being excellent to each other via Big Society. it will be ace bet you cant wait.
    Dave has said and I believe.
    You cant smoke in pubs you will notice that change.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s great over here !……. we’re all “in it together” ……… it’s just like during the blitz !

Just to give you an example of how we are all pulling in together to help each other, we are slashing £billions off welfare so that top bankers can still get the £7billion in bonuses they have come to expect.

It’s that kind of community spirit where we all help each other during hard times which makes Britain so special.

zokes
    Free Member

Bugger it and move to Oz. Seems to have done me no harm, and the trails are dusty here too 🙂

andyplasterer
    Free Member

shit hole ……..

donsimon
    Free Member

Bugger it and move to Oz.

On the first point, I’d rather not! 😯
    The second, I really could move anywhere and have thought about Argentina as a base many times. What’s happening in Oz? What work is available? Immigration problems?

andyplasterer
    Free Member

move to oz

zokes
    Free Member

They are tightening up, but unless you arrive on a boat you may not have too many problems 😉

Depending on what you do (and how old you are), the quickest way in is getting a new employer to sponsor your application i.e. say that they need you as they can’t fill the post locally. That’s the way I got in. The points system still operates though, just takes a lot longer, and the jobs on it change, often.

You wouldn’t get any sort of social security for 2 years though, so unless you do have a job, they’d want evidence of buried treasure or some other way of supporting yourself.

If you’re in mining, nursing, and maybe teaching, you’re on to a winner. If not, the current list should be on the aussie high commission website.

crikey
    Free Member
    Mackem

Dont move to Oz.

luked2
    Free Member

How do you get a job at Goldman Sachs? Or be a council chief exec?

iDave
    Free Member

UK is last place I’d choose, given choice. I’m looking forward to getting out of the UK to Brazil in Jan. Argentina will probably be a good choice also as they’re sure to benefit from the growth in Brazil. My plan is to move to Buenos Aires after the Rio games. But my plans tend to go a bit wonky.

zokes
    Free Member

Dont move to Oz.

Why not?

Mackem

The mountain biking isnt particularly good and it’s a bit dull once you’ve been there a few months.

donsimon
    Free Member

Pfft! It’s not going to be a permanent move to the UK, do you think I’m crazy??? I just have to spend a few months there to tie up some loose ends and was wondering what the work situation and general atmosphere was like.
    If I move from Spain it would probably be to Argentina and not to Oz, too old now!

I’m also a bit sick of the recession here and fancy a change of scene, but if it’s as bad in UK, frying pan/fire springs to mind… 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Argentina will probably be a good choice also as they’re sure to benefit from the growth in Brazil

😕 The Argentine economy is doing rather better than the Brazilian economy (probably because they are pursuing left-wing policies with even more enthusiasm than Brazil) The Brazilian economy is expected to grow by about 6% this year. The Argentine economy is predicted to grow by 8.5%

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/20/argentina-poll-kirchner-return-cristina

Although I can understand your confusion. In 2002 Argentina was responsible for the largest sovereign debt default in history – it was in a worst situation than Greece is in today. However, ever since then, the Argentine economy has made a staggering recovery. Which has led amongst other things, to massive growth and a dramatic fall in unemployment and poverty. And it has now long paid off it’s debt.

How did it do it ? Well by doing the complete opposite to what Britain and Greece are doing today, ie, by dramatically abandoning the free-market policies which got it in the mess in the first place. And adopting the left-wing solution of increase taxation and massive government intervention.

No great surprise really, Keynesian economics has always tended to work. Unlike monetarist policies which have never worked, expect for a short period of time and only for a very privileged few.

Of course you are quite right about the might of the Brazilian economy though – the population of Brazil is after all, about six times the size of Argentina. And I have no doubt that in a few decades time Brazil will be one of the world’s super powers. Although Argentina itself has huge potential due to its huge natural resources – it was after the 4th wealthiest country in the world a hundred years ago.

But the whole region is doing rather well, including desperately poor countries such as Bolivia – a country which elected an uneducated indigenous peasant as its leader. This is down to basically two things, firstly, the region has finally freed itself from the shackles of US hegemony. And secondly, the region is pursuing left-wing policies in complete defiance of TINA (There Is No Alternative)

What is happening in Latin America is the best kept political secret in the Northern Hemisphere.

And the political situation in Brazil is really rather healthy. In last Sunday’s presidential election every single candidate was left-wing……the conservatives didn’t even bother fielding a candidate, so discredited are right-wing policies. The Green candidate received 19% of the vote – the largest amount of votes for any Green candidate in history anywhere in the world. Considering just how important Brazil is to the world’s ecology, there might still be hope for mankind – specially when poor people in poor countries feel the environment is that important.

And it now looks like after the next round, the new President of Brazil will be a former guerrilla fighter from the Workers Party.

Yep, “Go South Young Man” …..that’s were its all happening 8)

zokes
    Free Member

The mountain biking isnt particularly good and it’s a bit dull once you’ve been there a few months.

Really? In your own opinion, of course… Compared to what I’ve ridden in the UK, my local bit of Oz sems pretty good.

Not sure what you mean by dull, but real life in most countries is hardly exciting for the most part. (Unless you live in Baghdad or similar, in which case I suspect adrenaline is high on a daily basis)

donsimon
    Free Member

Possibly the other problem with Oz is that when you talk, there is no one around to hear you. 😉

Thanks Ernie, there really was no need for you to have gone to so much trouble, interesting as it was.
    What time is the party potical broadcast on behalf of the Flasheart Party?

zokes
    Free Member

Possibly the other problem with Oz is that when you talk, there is no one around to hear you.

Which given some of the responses you get on some niche-orientated bike related internet fora is a blessing in disguise 😆

It certainly means you can get a few hours work done without too much distraction before the rest of the world wakes up and starts arguing again…

donsimon
    Free Member

😆

Whereabouts are you?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How’s the UK at the moment?

Still the most beautiful country in the world. 🙂

NZCol

I’ve established that there is a perception that the grass is always greener. In my experience where you live is what you make it, it’s not necessarily the place. I’ve met miserable people in beautiful places.

But Oz ?! FFS it’s full of Australians for a start!!

donsimon
    Free Member

But don’t you dig it up and send it to other places?? 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

i like to remind myself just how lovely my back yard is:

zokes
    Free Member

In full HDR technicolour too 😯

it’s full of Australians for a start!!

It’s practically empty. Anyway they’re horrible losers, so give them until just after xmas and they’ll be as quiet as mice for a couple of years…

I’m in Adelaide BTW…

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s happening in Oz?

Everyone’s a racist, lazy, lager swilling moron and there’s no water and no mountains (mostly). Or a whinging Pom going on and on about how shit Britain is and how wonderful everything is in the Promised land whilst all the locals back away smiling and nodding. And there are giant frogs everywhere.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Everyone’s a racist, lazy, lager swilling moron and there’s no water and no mountains

Sounds about right.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

ernie_lynch
    In 2002 Argentina was responsible for the largest sovereign debt default in history……[snip]…. And it has now long paid off it’s debt.

Do you actually know what ‘default’ means?

ernie_lynch
    How did it do it ? Well by doing the complete opposite to what Britain and Greece are doing today, ie, by dramatically abandoning the free-market policies which got it in the mess in the first place. And adopting the left-wing solution of increase taxation and massive government intervention.

No great surprise really, Keynesian economics has always tended to work. Unlike monetarist policies which have never worked, expect for a short period of time and only for a very privileged few.

Yeah, because the ‘Keynesian’ policies implemented by Clueless Clown as chancellor in the years between 1997 and 2008 worked really well.

In truth, Brown never actually implemented Keynesian economics, the central theme of Keynes being ‘save in the boom so you can spend in the bust’. But Brown believed he had abolished busts so sprayed money around and maxed out the credit cards during the boom and when the bust arrived (as it surely must as a central feature of keynesian economics) the cupboard was bare. And so here we are, painted into a corner.

Perhaps you think we should default like Argentina?

kimbers

check again after the 20th of october when the spending review is out and you can work out how long it will take britian to recover from another round of crippling tory cuts 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘How's the UK at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.