Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Howies merino
  • mark d
    Free Member

Has anyone else seen a sharp decline in Howies products? Sizing/ product wearing out rips, / buttons falling off?
    I loved this in the early days but now I’d not recommend.

mark d
    Free Member

Another thread falling into the ocean.
    Howies have been very good though, not apologising or acknowleding the poor quality control just full refund.
    I’ll take that.
    I want Howies to be an amazing brand.
    They are not at the mo

salad_dodger

Howies might have the same name but the people who run the business have changed (as has the location) since it was originally set up. Things are very different there now to how it used to be.

northerntom
    Free Member

I’ve purchased a few bits of clothing from them. Jumper fell to bits within a few months and only been work a few times. Can stitch back up, but it’s not very nice anyway.

Other clothing is average at best, and certainly there is a lot better out there now for cheaper.

I bought some Rivelo roadie kit a few days ago, far better, and cheaper than howies.

rOcKeTdOg

Bought a pair of their bibs 3 years ago, most comfy things ever. Thought I’d buy a second pair beginning of this year as they were so good, totally different. Same size but these are a baggy stretchy mess & feel horrible

frogstomp

I thought the original owners bought it back a few years ago?

joshvegas
    Free Member

They did.

Bit gutted about the bibs observation above.

Mine are so bloody good i was thinking newpair

faustus

Not sure what the ownership is like now, but their brand has definitely faded a lot. Alpkit has taken some of their sunshine with outdoor clothing. I’ve had some great stuff from them before, and my winter bib tights form them are super comfortable and well made. Seems like they need a refresh or something.

angeldust
    Free Member

I bought some Rivelo roadie kit a few days ago, far better, and cheaper than howies.

Given the constant sale prices at Sport Pursuit, have Rivelo gone out of business? I get the impression SP have purchased their entire stock (cheaply) and need to sell it cheaply and quickly? I don’t have any info, just guessing. Pity as I like their kit.

Just had a quick google, and I see mention of ‘launching at Sports pursuits’, which suggests it is a in-house brand, or a special collaboration of some sort?

ahsat

Also stock control is even more random than Alpkits. Howies are one of the few companies whose jeans fit me. Two old, VERY well worn pairs have now died. But Howies haven’t had any women’s jeans in stock for months.

a11y

I bought some merino baselayers to replace my much older turtle-neck Howies ones from years ago. Totally different quality (in a bad way) and poor fit with tight on body but huge neckline. Returned and went back to Endura for merino instead.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I recently bought some bibshorts, and they are comfortable, but, the material has started to pill after only 3 washes.

Won’t be using them again.

rhid

I have a 7 year old outback jacket and its my absolute fave riding jacket. It is perfect. I dont think they have made anything like as good as that for years. I also 2nd the bibs comment, they are wonderful.

It seemed like for a while they moved away from the technical clothing just to make more fashion orientated stuff, but them moved back to the more techy gear.

I like them, they are not cheap but most of the stuff I have bought has lasted.

mark d
    Free Member

Not just me then.
    I have a few 10 year old items that are still going strong and absolutely love them; my ‘go to’ items of clothing.
    These past few years have seen a dramatic difference in quality/ fabric/ sizing.
    Maybe different suppliers to save cost?
    I want the old Howies!
    I hope they can pull it out of the bag.

LeeW

Just had a quick google, and I see mention of ‘launching at Sports pursuits’, which suggests it is a in-house brand, or a special collaboration of some sort?

It feels like an in-house brand. When it not on ‘sale’ the only place you can buy it is SP.

Feel the same with another brand I can’t remember the name of. Their kit is (for example) £220 reduced to £105 on SP. But you could buy it direct from the mfr for £70. Well you could but not any more as their website isn’t there any longer. But you can still buy it on SP.

angeldust
    Free Member

It feels like an in-house brand. When it not on ‘sale’ the only place you can buy it is SP.

Feel the same with another brand I can’t remember the name of. Their kit is (for example) £220 reduced to £105 on SP. But you could buy it direct from the mfr for £70. Well you could but not any more as their website isn’t there any longer. But you can still buy it on SP.

Yeah, it’s always worth googling the stuff on SP, as sometimes they are cheaper elsewhere. Have some good bargains on there too occasionally though. I actually quite like the couple of Rivelo items I have got from SP, they do seem good value at the ‘sale’ price. I don’t much like the sport direct/DFS style pricing tactics though.

andykirk
    Free Member

They used to do some nice stuff. They do have the most bizarre sizing I have ever come across though, an XL is more like a medium in most brands. Unless of course this is to do with the current repulsive ‘tight’ sizing fashion.

angeldust
    Free Member

They used to do some nice stuff. They do have the most bizarre sizing I have ever come across though, an XL is more like a medium in most brands. Unless of course this is to do with the current repulsive ‘tight’ sizing fashion.

I am discovering this is ‘normal’ for road bike clothing. Rivelo seems to size up fairly similarly to Castelli, Vulpine and dhb (depending on the ‘fit). Other brands I’ve tried are not far off, perhaps a tough more generous (Polaris, Shimano, Gore).

dragon
    Free Member

Alpkit has taken some of their sunshine with outdoor clothing.

I don’t see Howies and Alpkit competing in the same space. Howies is primarily ‘fashion’ clothes with and outdoor nod. However, Alpkit are just cheap technical clothing and accessories, no fashion stuff at all.

If you ask me Alpkit aren’t the brand they were either, you can get better for similar prices elsewhere.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of howies long sleeve merino tops and a couple of sweatshirts. One of the merino tops arrived with pulls along the bottom at the back and a small hole. I emailed them and got a substantial discount and in the end it cost sender £10 – its a base layer so nut fussed about a week hole. Very comfortable, as are the sweatshirts.

mark d
    Free Member

Gary M They seem to be very good at discounts and refunds; maybe they know the issue as well so not worth arguing, just refund.
    I’m so disappointed in the brand; I bought into the whole advertising/ ethical thing.
    It was a brand I liked to be associated with.
    Climbing/ walking/ cycling etc and I liked to tell people about it.
    Can’t tell you how disappointed I am.

iainc

I have an old Merino base that refuses to die, probably had it for 15 years. I also have a few from maybe 5 yrs ago, which are thinner and not as well made. Good base layers though I don’t like merino on the bike – toasty for winter walks and the like.

I had 2 pairs of their bibs and 2 pairs of the 3/4’s – bought them probably between 2 and 3 yrs ago – only have one pair of 3/4’s left, rest all fell apart. Won’t be replacing them with same brand.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Out of the last 4 Howies items I’ve bought only 1 (a pair of jeans) has been decent. I too liked the brand and had one of the original T’s, unfortunately the email just gets deleted now.

fergal
    Free Member

ordered a pair of outdoor shorts in that stretchy fabric recently, absoloutely gopping, cheap shiny fabric, looked like reggatta but not cheap, returned pronto.

mark d
    Free Member

I hope Howies are reading this and turn it around.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Howies merino’ is closed to new replies.