Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How would you spec a Bfe?
  • scunny
    Free Member

I’ve not had a new bike for a while, my Inbred has been preforming nicely but i think it’s time to retire it the the daily commute and get something shiney for weekend riding.

I’m set on a Bfe, i raced DH throughout my teens, and although those days are behind me i still enjoy the downs much more than the up’s. So the Bfe seems like the perfect choice.

Most of the spec is already on the on one, with my lower spec spares being used to replace them. So it’ll have Easton Havens/Saints/Raceface Dues cranks/XO Group/Pro2-717 or ex5.1/Fizik, all i’m really undecided on is the chain device or forks.

My first choice had been 36’s, but now im starting to think these might be a little heavy? Maybe some 34’s?

Heard alot of stuff about the Lopes guide?

Ta

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think the 36 would be a great choice, but I would shim them down to 140mm travel. At that setting, they’d still be marginally taller than a 32mm Fox fork at 150mm, which would be more than tall enough to set the BFe’s handling to suit its character but still keep the steering feeling relatively responsive.

The 36 are only about 300g heavier than a 32mm fork and so probably about half that of a 34mm fork (does Fox now offer a 26″ wheeled 34mm fork?); you could easily lose that elsewhere if you wanted to. Otherwise, if you’re smooth and capable (as I imagine you are) then a Soul could be just as good and lighter.

Your other option would be to go for a 140mm Bos Devile, which is a sublime fork, fractionally lighter than the 36 Float but a ton better in terms of performance and it’s a lot stiffer than a 32mm RS Rev/Fox Float.

scunny
    Free Member

Yeah, i think i got a bit confused. I was referring to the Fox 32 in 140mm.

Would love a set of BOS, i’m not sure i could justify the price though.

I shall keep an eye out for a set of 36 floats, i’ve heard a few bad stories about preformance when compared to springs. But i can always rectify that later on should i need to.

geetee1972
    Free Member

i’ve heard a few bad stories about preformance when compared to springs.

Not sure what stories you’ve heard but from my own experience and those of many others I know that run them, the Floats are fantastic in terms of performance and reliability. I’ve heard that the TALAS is a bit more compromised, the travel adjust system adds weight and complexity and detracts a little from performance.

Preferring coils to air as a spring seems to a personal choice, but if you’re shying away from the Float because you’re worried about reliability and marginal performance, I wouldn’t let that put you off.

The BOS isn’t quite as expensive as it sounds when compared to a new 36 at RRP. The fact that you can get better deals on the 36 second hand or older stock does make it slightly better value, but the BOS really is excellent and if you’ve raced DH, I think you’d appreciate just what it can do.

t-p26
    Free Member

i’m not sure i could justify the price though.

Its your toy, who do you have to justify it too?

Vortexracing

I would look to running a Rev with blackbox damping set at 130/140mm.

I have the MRP Lopes guide on my Soul and although it’s silly expensive it does work well. The other option is to use a Straitline uide as they are ISCG mounted.

In other words as this, but with the BFe frame and not the Soul.

get a dropper post as well, a good upgrade IMHO.

The only thing is the 717’s may be a little light/fragile for the type of riding the BFe will coax you into.

P1040284 by eastham_david, on Flickr

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run coil Lyriks on my BFe – I usually adjust them between 100-145ish. They suit the bike really well – nice and tough and direct.

And a Superstar guide – cheap+cheerful but works fine.

_tom_
    Free Member

I used an air u-turn Pike on mine which felt about right. Don’t think I’d want any more travel on a hardtail. The u-turn was really handy for climbing, felt too wandery with the forks out all the way.

Roblilly
    Free Member

I run a superstar guide on mine and it is fine.

Also have boil fox 36’s which feel too long (turns too slow). Need to find out how to shorten them to 140mm

GW
    Free Member

first thing I’d spec would be a different frame

My first choice had been 36’s, but now im starting to think these might be a little heavy?

So why did you choose a 5.5lb hardtail frame in the first place? to be even contemplating 717 rims there’s no way you’re going to need anything as overbuilt as a BFe.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’m running Mavic EX72’s built on Hope Pro 2 hubs. I think they are fantastic, strong and reliable. Also running a Sektor, which is good value at present.

Arcticdan
    Free Member

Kinda agree with GW, but hey your choice and I’m sure you would have considered the Soul?!

My Bfe is built with Coil Lyrics, Saint, Straitline, Mavic XM 819…

Comes in about 34lbs, mine is also a verison one Bfe all 853.

Despite my initial comment, I recommend one to anyone….big smiles on the downs!!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Good time to start this thread I have just sold enough stuff to order my BFe.

I will be running Pike coils Mavic 321 rims (when I can get hold of a rear wheel cheaply) a Deore drive train, apart from cranks but hopefully that will change, just need to sell more stuff. Either Elixir or deore brakes not sure yet but they will be 180/160mm. 750mm ride wide bars not sure on the stem I have a 90/70/65 available to test that are on other bikes. And it will be a double and bash as I want this to be a little more versatile than my FS. Should come in at about 30lbs.

Looking forward to it.

andeh

Currently I’ve got some Pike dual-airs on my BFe, they feel good but I’m pretty sure that sometime in the future I’ll swap them out for some u-turn Lyriks. I’d want to keep the travel adjust, it really does get used for everything and 160mm travel isn’t conducive to good 4x track performance.

Other than that I’ve got a 1×9 X7setup, Stand ZTR Flow/hope wheels, some gigantic bars, SLX brakes and High Rollers. It’s by no means the lightest, or fanciest, build, but it’s tough and functional.

They are, by the way, the most fun bike in the world. Amazingly stable at speed for a hardtail. Unless I scrape together a bit of money, mine will be coming along to the Mega with me this year.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Don’t forget the BFe is often a less costly route to a Soul. They are identical apart from the tube sets used.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve only had a test ride so my thoughts may not be that relevant… but with the Wottan fork at 160mm the bike was dreadfull up and down. Far to much weight towards the back and a bottom bracket that was too high. At 140mm travel I could see the point when pointed downhill but the seat angle was too slack for the uphills and I think the bottom bracket was still too high. At 120mm travel it worked great on all the flater bits and climbed well enough… but downhill it felt like it needed a slacker headangle. I was left thinking it’s an 100-120mm forked frame with a big fork attached to it (funny that), I really don’t get why people rate them with 140-160mm forks? I guess they never ride techy climbs? All in IMHO etc…

If I had bought the Bfe this would be on my shopping list.

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/works-components—10-degree-ec34—traditional-1-18-fitment-6-p.asp

geetee1972
    Free Member

I was left thinking it’s an 100-120mm forked frame with a big fork attached to it (funny that)

Because that’s precisely what it is…. 😆

chiefgrooveguru

I really don’t get why people rate them with 140-160mm forks? I guess they never ride techy climbs?

I don’t know about 160mm but with a straight seatpost and the saddle forwards I can climb pretty steep stuff with a 140’d Soul.

smoothchicken

Currently running my BFe with 140mm u-turn coil Pikes, 1×9 SLX drive train, Hope X2 brakes, Superstar switch hubs with Stan’s ZTR rims, Superstar chain guide (great value), 60mm stem, 760mm bars and it’s brilliant. Not really found it a bind climbing unless it’s really steep but everywhere else it’s a hoot! Recommended!

Clobber
    Free Member

I’ve got a nice condition, Large Blue BFe boxed up ready for post if someone wants one… Email me…

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve run coil Lyrics, Air U-turn Pikes and Air u-turn Revs on mine.

The Lyrics are an absolute hoot if you have steep and techy downs to play on – did a couple of holidays in the Alps like that, including riding (although not racing) the Mega. They’re overkill for the UK though.

The Pikes were great. I replaced them with Revs, mostly because I could, and 10mm more travel and 1lb less weight – what’s not to like? It rides pretty well like that. Long climbs I drop the travel down, but as a looning around on techy trails bike, it’s a lot of fun with the 150s, doesn’t get fazed by real steep stuff and still handles fairly nippily (50mm stem). BB is possibly a bit high for ultimate cornering, but on the other hand you don’t get hung up on the rocks so much, of which there are LOTS round my way.

Chain device? Old LG1+ with taco here. Would like to swap to a MRP MiniG2SL though. If you’re going to be abusing it, then some sort of chainring protection is handy.

717 rims will not survive very long if you’re using it for purpose. I’d go with Flows myself…

scunny
    Free Member

first thing I’d spec would be a different frame

My first choice had been 36’s, but now im starting to think these might be a little heavy?
    So why did you choose a 5.5lb hardtail frame in the first place? to be even contemplating 717 rims there’s no way you’re going to need anything as overbuilt as a BFe.

You’re a mardy bugger arn’t you?

I chose the Bfe because I think it would suit my style or riding best. Despite that, i’d still like it to weigh a manageable amount, so i’ll look to save weight where i can whilst still running the frame i want.

I have 2 sets of wheels, 717’s and 5.1s. I’ll swap them round depending on which type of riding i’ll be doing.

If you’d like, i’ll put up a video i filmed a while back, and then you can tell me which bike and components i need, i’ll give you my bank card and you can buy them for me.

Vortexracing

I have 2 sets of wheels, 717’s and 5.1s. I’ll swap them round depending on which type of riding i’ll be doing

that makes a lot of sense, I do that. DT5.1 with big tyres on for daft stuff and 355’s with smaller rubber for everyday riding.

I still have an itch to try one of the new ones, (especially as they are so cheap) and swap all of the stuff from my Soul just to see what they are like.

I had a original one,

P1000447 by eastham_david, on Flickr

which I thought was great, that had u turn Lyriks on. I think the Pike (which I had on my other Soul) or a Rev would give you the best ‘all round’ capability as Jon Edwards mentioned.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I have coil U turn pikes on mine set at about 110mm.
    Stnas flow rims
    60mm stem
    711 x 50mm bars
    1 x 9 gears

Its ideal. Dont put long forks on it, you’ll ruin it. Its not really a frame that works with long forks. Look at the pictures of those with 140mm+ forks, the geometry looks well off.

Although if all you’re doing is lift assisted riding in the Alps then by all means put some 160mm forks on it, since its strong enough for them.

Northwind

I built mine up lighter than most… I never used the Lyriks at full length anyway and I didn’t like what they did to the balance of the bike so I fitted my Revs (120-150mm uturn) and much preferred that- not as stiff or as strong, but good enough. Spent most of the time in the bottom end of the travel.

Lots of people seem to go directly to building a massive tank but for me, couldn’t see the point, really not a fan of 2-ton hardtails. Though equally, I could probably have been fine with a Soul for the use I put it to- but then I couldn’t have got a Soul for £130 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘How would you spec a Bfe?’ is closed to new replies.