Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • how wolves change rivers.
  • racefaceec90

saw this on fretboard forum and though it was a great video.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q[/video]

matther01
    Free Member

Interesting…wonder if they will ever contemplate bringing them back into the UK again.

JCL
    Free Member

Best video I’ve seen for some time.

steveirwin
    Free Member

We need something like that to control the human population in this country

mangoridebike

Fantastic

Thanks for posting

matt_outandabout
    ratherbeintobago

Interesting…wonder if they will ever contemplate bringing them back into the UK again.

Yes, it’s been contemplated. Not sure how far it’ll get though, not least as there are issues about land access and deer.

kimbers

thats cool

jonba
    Free Member

Funnily enough my wife has just come back from Romania where she was horse riding. The stable owners are mainly involved in wolf research and conservation and she was telling me about this.

http://equus-silvania.com/en/index.php?lg=en

http://www.conservationcarpathia.org/life_en/index.php?lg=en

Shaun20
    Free Member

This video is great! Emphasises how nature is far too complicated for humans ever to ‘manage’. It can does a pretty good job itself, naturally.

anagallis_arvensis

This video is great! Emphasises how nature is far too complicated for humans ever to ‘manage’. It can does a pretty good job itself, naturally.

I agree its a great video, but the rest is just plain wrong. Who managed the reintroduction of the wolves? What do you mean by naturally and nature, are humans not just another species on the planet and part of nature?

slackalice
    Free Member

Well, it’s had a lot more practice at being ‘nature’ than human kind…

Great vid btw

toys19
    Free Member

What do you mean by naturally and nature, are humans not just another species on the planet and part of nature?

This ^.

“Natural” is a fallacy.
    See if you can get anyone to agree on a definition..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What do you mean by naturally and nature………

It is universally accepted that in English “naturally” means without human intervention, and “nature” refers to the physical world which hasn’t been created by humans.

Great video, thanks.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, ‘natural’ as in ‘not manufactured’. HTH.

epicyclo

The idea of reintroducing wolves to Scotland is just a ruse by the big landowners to close off large areas to access. They’re pissed off about the access laws and will pretend to be passionately “green” to do so.

If they want to reintroduce extinct native species and allow them to proliferate, may I suggest they start with the reintroduction of a species the landowners went to great lengths to remove from the land in more recent times – humans.

Naturally we would hunt wolves to extinction again. 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

It is universally accepted that in English “naturally” means without human intervention, and “nature” refers to the physical world which hasn’t been created by humans.

how can humans not intervene in an ecosystem when they are present in the biosphere? I means Yellowstone National Park… the clues in the title. I dont accept your universal definition and I have a PhD in ecology.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I dont accept your universal definition and I have a PhD in ecology.

But obviously not in English.

I don’t have a PhD in anything, or any degree for that matter, but I do know what “naturally” and “nature” means.

If you haven’t got a dictionary try googling ?

anagallis_arvensis

So describe terrestrial ecosystem that is natural by your definition.

Marin
    Free Member

George Monibot’s book Feral is a good read for a look at the U.K. and a similar issue with sheep in the Welsh hills.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s not “my” definition, I didn’t invent the English language.

It’s sad that someone posting a fascinating video which shows what can happen to the environment when humans take a back seat approach should result in pedantic point scoring by those who want to prove how clever and highly qualified they are.

anagallis_arvensis

But the point is the humans didnt take a back seat they reintroduced wolves.
    I take from this you havent thought of a natural ecosystem yet?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeah everyone is aware that it was humans that reintroduced the wolves, but thanks for pointing it out to us less qualified people

stuey
    Free Member

“…increased the number of badgers” – never float over here 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Yeah everyone is aware that it was humans that reintroduced the wolves, but thanks for pointing it out to us less qualified people

you keep deflecting

slackalice
    Free Member

I may have missed something here, but wasn’t it the humans that extinguished wolves from the area in the first place?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Apparently a wolf was run over and killed on the autobahn about 30km from where I live a month or so ago. They seem to be migrating from places like Romania. Much like their human cousins. 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

So it’s the deer’s fault?

alpin
    Free Member

there is some documentary about introduced and re-introduced species somewhere online. included the thing about yellowstone. can’t find it. 🙁

anagallis_arvensis

I may have missed something here, but wasn’t it the humans that extinguished wolves from the area in the first place?

true but they evolved in the first place in ecosystems with humans in. The whole “natural” or “unnatural” thing is very anti-darwinian and implies that humans are somehow separate or different from other living things.

anagallis_arvensis

Roter stern, I take it you dont live in Berkshire!!!!

slackalice
    Free Member

This is true, we haven’t been around long enough to know what ‘normal’ is. Not that there is ever a state of ‘normality’ as change being the only variable constant.

Can you tell that I don’t have a degree either? 😉

alpin
    Free Member

It’s sad that someone posting a fascinating video which shows what can happen to the environment when humans take a back seat approach should result in pedantic point scoring by those who want to prove how clever and highly qualified they are.

+1

it is only in the last 13000 years that humans have inhabited the Americas. before that the wolves had a long time to find their place within the ecosystem. when the first people did arrive they lived alongside the wolves. they did not exterminate them. we know this as there were still wolves around when the europeans turned up. it is only one generation ago when wolves were removed from the park.

anagallis_arvensis

Can you tell that I don’t have a degree either? 

only because you told me

anagallis_arvensis

Alpin do you think yellowstone 13000 years ago looked like it does now?

slackalice
    Free Member

There were probably more tree’s, because there were wolves to keep the deer in check. Apart from that, I’d say it was very similar

jambalaya
    Free Member

Great video thanks. Good to see in true STW form the thread has descened into a row complete with a bit about big landowners !

anagallis_arvensis

Well you would be wrong. Yellowstone Park was formed from the habitat that preceded it and it had thousands of years of human intervention the changes that occurred within the park after the introduction of wolves such as the return of song birds for example would have come largely from migration of species from the “unnatural” outside or changes to the frequency of those species within which again wouldnt have been those species around 13000 years ago.
    The point being calling something natural is just daft, we live on the planet and to missquote somone or other no ecosystem is an island.

anagallis_arvensis

To be clear I thought I was having a discussion not a row and I also think the video is brilliant just talking about what it means from a wider perspective. Would be a bit dull if someone posted something we all said thats great and left it at that wouldnt it?

brakes
    Free Member

Will the wolves stop the supervolcano from erupting?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘how wolves change rivers.’ is closed to new replies.