Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • How wide do you go with your tyres for road use?
  • epicyclo

Is 65mm wide enough? 🙂

Just built up a wheel with 40mm rims, and it certainly adds volume.

The back tyre is looking anaemic now at only 60mm, but it’s getting a matching rim tonight.

richmtb

Got 2.0″ slicks on my old mtb based commuter.

Probably a bit slower than skinnier slicks but certainly takes the edge off potholes

aP
    Free Member

38mm Compass Loup Loup Pass going back on my Bokeh after last weekend at Gravel Dash.

ton

2.0 big apples here.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You really should consider opening an ugly bike museum Brian….

(no offence btw!) 😀

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I was using 2.3 crazy bobs for awhile on my old mtb set up as rigid for commuting, it felt proper fast.

John

RustySpanner

Brilliant.
    🙂

2.0 Marathon Supremes atm.
    Great on the road, fast, grippy, loads of feedback.

Road surfaces cease to be a problem, just proper comfy.

dai21t
    Free Member

23mm gp4000 on my road bike.Can’t get any wider on it.
    28mm gp4000 on my cx bike

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

As a Brucie bonus the crazy bobs even worked on trail centres! Assuming they were dry.

John

kerley
    Free Member

25mm, and that is almost rubbing the frame. Use bike off road too.

Don’t seem to get comfort issues (on or off road) but then my longest rides are only 2 hours. Have tried bigger tyres on other bikes but they just feel cumbersome.

epicyclo

Rusty Spanner – Member
    …2.0 Marathon Supremes atm.
    Great on the road, fast, grippy, loads of feedback.

Road surfaces cease to be a problem, just proper comfy.

Yep, that’s the whole point.

johnnyboy666 – Member
    As a Brucie bonus the crazy bobs even worked on trail centres! Assuming they were dry.

And that’s the really big bonus. This is really my gravel bike and it is generally only on the road to get me to a trail, eg the Corrieyairack and the likes.

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    You really should consider opening an ugly bike museum Brian….

Sob… 😥

No offence taken. I have even uglier bikes. I have pretty bikes too, but they don’t get ridden as much as the effective bikes. 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

25mm on my proper road bike
    28mm on my winter/wet weather commuter
    and just ordered 32mm Continental GP 4 seasons for my cx based summer commuter.

freeagent
    Free Member

25mm on my summer road bike.
    28mm on my winter roadie (Arkose) however these will be swapped out for 32mm at some point.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not sure the OP was seeking serious replies.

Love the bike, it’s clear you don’t give a flying **** about having the “right” bike and have sussed out what works for you. Looks much more fun for that kind of “gravel” riding than a CXer.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

2.35″ G-One Speed Evos, they roll really well and absorb all the potholes around town with ease, without the chatter of when I use my Jumbo Jim wheels.

Only had the G-Ones ~2 weeks and already done my two fastest commutes to work on them, I’m convinced a sub 15min time will happen in 2017.

OK, I’ve forgotten how to read calipers, thought OP photo read 61 not 65! 😆

TiRed

23 on TT bike, 30 on road, normally race 25c on wider rims.

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some 22mm Schwalbes for my summer road bike because they were about 70% off . I’ve been perfectly happy on 23mms for the past 15 years or so of road riding so I suspect I won’t die, but it’s a risk 😉

nedrapier

2.0. About to go a bit bigger – jumped on the same deal as you at CRC – similar, anyway – Arc 27s

epicyclo

nedrapier – Member
    2.0. About to go a bit bigger – jumped on the same deal as you at CRC – similar, anyway – Arc 27s

That’s interesting. I sold my Peregrine because I couldn’t get 2″ in the back. That was on a 30mm (24mm internal) rim. (One of the first models). Otherwise I would still have it.

Yours looks nicely balanced. 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

I have pretty bikes too, but they don’t get ridden as much as the effective bikes

Ah the eternal cycloconundrum, it’s always the way though…

A friend of mine uses a much nicer term for utilitarian, functional and comfy, but ultimately pug-fugly bikes, he describes them as ‘worthy’ bicycles, and that sir is an extremely worthy bicycle!

My commuto-exploro bike is similar, running on 1.75s thought but occasionally wears 2.2 micro knobblies whihc are almost as fast but better offroad

My ‘normal’ road bikes run from 23-38mm depending on bike/use

sirromj

26″ rigid commute mtb 2.3″ spec. slaughter on front, 2.1″ hutch. cobra rear. Have frequently been tempted to get slick 2.0-2.3″ tyres but don’t fancy sliding in the wet road as I make a right-hand turn with oncoming traffic.

nedrapier

cheers! I like it. It’d be the last out the door if I was forced to sell everything. I still might hide the Dekerf in the attic though!

I’ve got the Mk2, which seems to have more room in the back – 2.1 Thunder Burts on Stans Alpha at the moment, 17mm internal. There’s enough room in the back, and not quite enough room in the front – the fork crown lugs have lost a bit of paint. The idea with the 27mm Arc is to max out the volume on 2″ tyres rather than push the clearance with 2.1s that are wide at the shoulder knobs but pulled in tight by a narrow rim. Fat Franks, Race Kings, Marathon Supremes, maybe some Compass Snoqualmie pass if I feel like chucking money away!

birdage

23mm on an old Roberts all the way up to a 2.35 Big Apple on a Gryphon.
    Can’t tell any difference.

epicyclo

sirromj – Member
    ..Have frequently been tempted to get slick 2.0-2.3″ tyres but don’t fancy sliding in the wet road as I make a right-hand turn with oncoming traffic.

I find I can take a negative camber downhill tarmac bend much faster. It’s more like confident cornering on a motorbike than sketchy bicycle stuff. I actually have to hang off the bike. Wet is no problem, I’d trust them more than any 23mm tyre.

The important thing is to run them at a lowish pressure. Mine are usually under 20 psi and I’m 85kg.

RustySpanner

Still have a psychological aversion to full slicks.

The Supremes ( 🙂 , sorry) have a vestigial tread, which I’d like to think is designed by German engineers to disperse water, but is probably just put there by German marketing folk to appease silly old farts.

Lots of rubber smeared across the road should equal huge amounts of grip, but illogical as it seems, I feel that bit of tread adds something comforting.
    Daft, I know.

slowoldman

What is it with these swept back bars but no basket?

simondbarnes

24mm on my summer bike
    25mm on my winter bike
    28mm on my fixie
    37mm on my touring bike.

RustySpanner

Basketist.

A basket is just a less gnar centric barbag, which is merely a more practical alternative to a skull with horns attached.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

My frankensemichubby monster cross currently fitted with 2.35 29″ big apples on mulefut 50mm wide rims.

seosamh77
    Free Member

1.5 x 26 vittoria rubino slicks when in road mode. 2.4/2.2 xkings live on it at the moment since i can’t be arsed changing them. So they do for everything just now.

amedias
    Free Member

What is it with these…

swept back bars

comfort and a decent upright riding position great for town and cargo hauling

but no basket?

well mine has an f’ing great rack there, it sometimes has a basket, sometimes a big bag, sometimes a box, sometimes nothing, sometimes a dog (in a box), sometimes $STUFF randomly lashed to it, do I have to take pictures of all the variations or can you use your imagination? 😉

On a related note, what bars are those Epicyclo? they look like inverted North Roads or similar?

epicyclo

doncorleoni – Member
    My frankensemichubby monster cross currently fitted with 2.35 29″ big apples on mulefut 50mm wide rims.

Excellent. Need a pic of the whole bike now. 🙂

What width do those go up to?

amedias – Member
    …On a related note, what bars are those Epicyclo? they look like inverted North Roads or similar?

I’ve seen them with various brand names on them. They are actually drops, but they’re almost the same bend as the North Road drop bars on my 1935 Sunbeam.

Satori Minotaur, One23 Bullbar, Smooth Drop, are some of the names I’ve seen. Who actually makes them I don’t know. It’s obviously a generic bar of many names, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was in Raleigh’s range with another name and a better price.

I’d prefer them to be about 20mm wider, but they’re good for a long day out, so that’s a minor gripe.

The big advantage is that they take mtb levers etc which i prefer to the less robust road stuff.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

23mm i like to feel the road 😉

epicyclo

Whathaveisaidnow – Member
    23mm i like to feel the road

My roads go places like this 🙂

(That’s the good bit)

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not gone super wide yet, but liking the 38c’s on my Plug. Main problem is that most tyres that size are a bit commuterish – would love to see something like a giant GP4000s.
    Will probably go for marathon supremes when(if) the stock kendas wear out

richardthird

I wore out a set of Barlow Pass 38 and replaced with SO much cheaper Vittoria Voyager Hyper 37-622, tubeless. Both lovely, light and fast tyres.

Inherited and tried some ProOnes 25, tubeless, nope, too harsh thanks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, Vittoria Voyager hyper here too, 35mm. I reckon I’ve found my perfect commuting tyre.

smokey_jo

Been running voyager hyper in 38c for a few rides now and seem to be great rolling, are very comfy at 70psi with tubes. No punctures to date but early days yet I suppose.

Didn’t know there was a tubeless version, I’d buy them without hesitation if could find some

tomhoward

25mm on summer bike
    42mm on gravel/winter/commuter bike

onandon
    Free Member

Cervelo s3 25
    Synapse 30
    Pickenflick 35
    Singlespeed 2.0

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘How wide do you go with your tyres for road use?’ is closed to new replies.