• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • how wide are your bars? should i go wide and flat?
  • rep341
    Free Member

I have a 09 small Spicy, pretty bomber mini dh spec, ccdb on back and big wheels+ tyres and van 36 upfront. The ccdb seems to be outperforming the 36s and I am having front grip issues, current bars are diabolous mid rise with about 30- 40mm of spacers below the stem. I would like to keep a high front end so would it be worth going from 40mm stem to 50mm and fit big wide flat bars like spank 777 or sunline v ones and keeping the spacers?
    Or are am I falling for the current fashions AGAIN.
    thoughts?

ton

6'' wider than my shoulders.
    which is the ideal length.

jam-bo

drop the front end. 30-40mm of spacers is massive.

might feel odd for a bit but it will handle better.

IA

Problems with front end grip and a high front end?

There's an obvious solution here….

Get rid of all them spacers. Do a day of DH runs with the bars right down, bet you're faster.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I would like to keep a high front end

why? it makes bikes ride rubish.

i just changed the bar stem set up on my 456. from 70mm stem 685mm bars to a 40mm stem and 750mm bars; it's ace. no longer find my hands hanging off the ends of the grips either.

rep341
    Free Member

I will measure the spacers when it gets back to me. Just shipped it back from summer hols. I have 2 mid size spacers on it. Maybe they are only 10mm each then. I did run it today with 1 spacer above the stem, didn't have any negatives but didn't have any massive pros either. Maybe I need to go flush to frame and get used to it

sambob
    Free Member

Wide bars are fantastic. I went from 600 to 710 with 60mm on my merida and would never look back although i want some lower bars now.

rep341
    Free Member

Always liked that sit up n beg riding position seemed to help me feel less exposed on steep terrain lol

sambob
    Free Member

Wide bars are fantastic. I went from 600 to 710 with 60mm on my merida and would never look back although i want some lower bars now.
    EDIT: sorry about double post.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've gone the other way, all be it on a 130mm travel XC bike, gone from a 711mm bars with 65mm stem to 660mm bars with 90mm stem and the bike handles better, turns quicker and is way more fun to ride.

Not saying this will apply to a gravity sled but it worked for me, now have the same bar width on my SS too.

The bars are 220mm wider than my roadies bars, so all feels good

IA

Oh, FWIW I like the bigger bars on my socom (760mm) but I am a proper lanky git with long arms, so they probably just feel like regular bars feel like to lesser men now…

rep341
    Free Member

I am only 5"6 the stretch might do me good!

GW
    Free Member

Without knowing the rider, his height, riding style (can only Guess at DH but that in itself could mean a whole heap of different riding) and the exact bike (& set-up), no one can really advise on bar height or width.
    So there's **** all point in anyone else typing what width/rise their bars are or what stem rise/reach or spacers they run. I'm very particular about bike set-up and notice very small differences so have different width bars on each of my (5) bikes and all are set up with slightly different rise and stem lengths (the only constant is the bar sweep).. but all are spot on for each bike for me.

Mugboo

Both my Hemlock and Summer Season both small have 70mm stems 12degree rise and Nukeproof flat bars cut down to 710.

The Hemlock has no spacers and i'm just under 5'8".

On 685 bars i always seemed to ride with hands on the ends now my hands sit on the grips. Although i occasionaly catch trees now on narrow, techy stuff!

Just changed the forks on the On One and the bar height is 15mm lower on that one and it stills feels good so maybe i can go 0degree on the Hemlock!

Lower = better as far as i'm concerned although you can get to a point where it feels wrong but its worth messing to find out.
    More weight on the front = more confidence in corners.

Hope my ramblings help, if not ignore them….

rootes1

put yoru arms in front of yourself.

pretend you are holding some bars that same width as your shoulder.. hands would be quite parallel with straight bars…

now move your hands away from each others as if you where grasping wider and wider bars.. see the angle of you hands change more the more you move your hands away.. so i reckon the wider the bar the more sweep you should have.

just my thoughts though…
    Si

lunge

I've always run 685mm wide Easton bars. Bought a pair of 760mm Nuke Proof with a view to cutting them down and never have. I just like the width, love how the bike feels now, just feels more "right". This is on a 140mm hardtail BTW.

sailor74
    Free Member

785mm on both my bikes.

MSP

In the attack position your forearms should be roughly parallel, any wider and its compromising manoeuvrability. far too many people are running bars too wide for their physiques because of fashion and internet misinformation.
    Consider your whole position on the bike, make sure you are centred and balanced on the pedals and not throwing all your weight off the back, you should be able to push your arms into the bars to steer.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘how wide are your bars? should i go wide and flat?’ is closed to new replies.