Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • How do you train for the trans wales??
  • Wookster

How do you train for the trans wales? Is it simlar to the Merida training or more often greater amount? The only traiining programme I can find is on the BC bike race web pages but its more of at the pro plan. Any one done it how did you train any tips etc.

I really fancy doing it next year. but over doing some meridas this year I’m a bit stuck. I remember that WMB did some stuff a year ago but neither of the blokes finished all the stages or took part in them all. Not after a win just like to do it all and finish really.

Thanks.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ride until it hurts, then double that.
    Then do it again and again and again, for as many days as possible.
    Yes really…
    🙂

Try and be riding 250miles+ for a few weeks beforehand but it’s all about PREPARATION more than training I found

Your bike must fit PERFECTLY
    It must be in superb condition. I fitted a brand new drivetrain and new tyres.

But above all else it’s in your head, not your legs – Mentally more than physically you must believe in yourself, and be able to ride at 80%, constantly, rather than flat out
    You must now when and what to eat and drink. Experiment before hand, not on the ride

Then go ride some more
    🙂

Wookster

thanks pete!!

mudshark
    Free Member

There are more scientific ways to train for cycling, e.g. something like this for road riding:

http://www.martygaal.com/words/cycling.html

Wookster

spot on thanks Mud shark!

Straightliner

As PeterPoddy suggests, a lot of it is mental rather than physical.

First suggestion is get out on the roads for long (6+hr) rides at the weekends. That’s both days so you get used to having long rides back to back. Then try and ride as much as possible during the week – the suggestion for 250 miles a week is a good one.

Then 6 or 7 pairs of the best bib shorts you can find. A clean dry pair at the start of each day really makes a difference. Your bike needs to be ready for it, so replace anything that’s worn and take spares of most consumables.

The cynical part of me also suggests a scuba diving course to put up with the puddles and the underwater campsites….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How do you train for the trans wales??’ is closed to new replies.