Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • How to train a 11 year old
  • polo
    Free Member

What type of training a 11 year old must have to be competitive but not bored or saturated which too much physical training

richpips
    Free Member

Presuming you are talking about cycling, the emphasis seems these days to concentrate on bike handling skills and technique for kids.

user-removed
    Free Member

You’ll need patience, a whip and a few carrots. The stable should be mucked out daily.

xiphon
    Free Member

Make it fun – work on skills they can show off to their mates – but read between the lines – they’ll develop excellent bike handling skills/balance. They can be practised anywhere, and make longer rides more entertaining.

Wheelies, one-handed wheelies, no-handed wheelies, no-foot wheelies, endos, 180 endos, bunnyhops, front-wheel hops, back-wheel hops, static 180 spins, bike surfing… the list goes on!

toys19
    Free Member

I’m working on my 5 year old with
    Braking drills. Pedal to a mark and then brake before a mark. This has now progressed to stop exactly on the mark.
    Cornering drills. Outside foot down, look where you want to, using outer boundaries to teach her to corner tighter.
    Jumps next. Jedi push, and spot your landing.
    She will be dh worldchamp in 2028..

Marmoset
    Free Member

No specific training as such here, every time we come up to something my 5 year old son can’t ride, or hasn’t seen before, I get off and I encourage him over/through it with some pointers. We just did some riding last weekend and he quickly became adept at spotting sand that could be ridden through and stuff that would throw you off if you weren’t careful.

I think a strong will to win helps at age 11 – as they’re still not fully developed by then there’ll always be some who are faster as they’ve grwn that little bit quicker, so I’d avoid training sessions and just concentrate on “riding”, technique can be a great leveller….

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

1. find out if he wants to do it.
    2. don’t be pushy
    3. ride lots

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Our club, and quite a few to others, have MTB sessions for youngsters, (7 upwards), these are very popular and let the little ones ride with others of their age. Generally riding XC loops and parkland.

The more competitive can ones then progress to training with the different groups on other nights. We have a number of 12-14 year olds who are more than able to hold their own doing every other interval in an adult based session.

The most important thing is for them to have fun.

robbo
    Free Member

Get along to some organised events to give goals. My daughter has gone running mad after entering a fun race at the Reading Half Marathon and now independently runs three times a week. Amazing for a 13 year old girl!

eskay

Are you talking about road or mtb?

There are more and more clubs around now that cater for kids. They normally work on technique (such as bunch riding etc) in traffic free areas. They may organise child friendly club runs and they normally have British Cycling qualified coaches who will know how to develop the children correctly. Some of them have academy sections for very talented riders.

Even if you are mtb orientated, some of the road skills, technique and fitness they would pick up would translate across.

jameso

At that age I was starting out, riding with mates at the weekends on 7-8 miles of rolling roads to the mtb trails, our favourite loops, then ride home. Understood what the bonk was by 12 : ) I think that kind of riding means you grow into it during your teens but it’s speculation.
    I think having the freedom to ride with friends unsupervised between 11-16 was a big part of why I stuck with cycling. We tested ourselves on skills (DH ‘bombing’, ‘pussy of the week’ competition involved riding the steepest drops in the bombhole etc) and they were really good times.
    I used to sail with my Dad between 7-13 and as much as I loved it, the structured time, instruction element and lesser freedom to do it when the urge grabbed me meant it never clicked in the same way. fwiw, not a lot maybe. I think it’d worry me sick to let a child do the same thing now but I would, as long as the roads were safe and the road sense was there.

Keep it fun..

polo
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback…. I want him to increase his skills but not get bored with to much discipline and strict training schedules…by the way he is 11, has an Orange 5 size 14 and we live in Peru…

xiphon
    Free Member

Teach him how to drive an Audi, and fix a computer.

rewski
    Free Member

I think I’ve scared off my 9 year old, he’s witnessed daddy in hospital too many times.

DrP

I’m working on getting my lad to look up/forward, and to ‘slalom’ down a long hill, rather than bomb straight down the fall line…
    He’s 3, on a balance bike, and loves it!

DrP

robbieh
    Free Member

Nothing so pathetic as pushy parents…

Junkyard
    Free Member

not even dismissive posters ?

Have fun and set a goal

Double figures for my 6 year old in a few weeks – he has already done this I just never told him in case it put him off 😳

jameso

he is 11, has an Orange 5 size 14 and we live in Peru…

lucky ***** : )

no need for training, just playing about at altitude will do it!

DrP

Nothing so pathetic as pushy parents…

I’m more ‘smacky’ than pushy, tbh. Is that ok?
    Are you free this weekend to help out at all?

Please…..

DrP

🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you are giving away smack I can probably make it there …might lack the motivation to leave though

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

he he 😀

kids need pushing, they are lazy little ****s

. . just like me . . . 🙁

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘How to train a 11 year old’ is closed to new replies.