Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • how to tell when forks need servicing?
  • meeeee
    Free Member

is there a recommended time (regular use 1-2 times a week) or are there signs i should look for? Or is it a case of keep using until a seal blows or starts leaking air?!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What forks are they?

Time depends on brand. Marzocchi (pre 08) could go on for years without a service, others are different

Taff
    Free Member

Service your forks regularly to avoid any internal problems. Most forks are piece of p*ss to service whether it’s changing the oil or changing seals. You don’t need to go to flooks or mojo for these as you can do it just as well with a little trial and error.

meeeee
    Free Member

they’re fox floats (RLC) 2 years old now so was thinking they might be due a service but wasnt sure what signs to look for.

epicyclo

If you’re like me, when they collapse in the middle of a 12 hour night race and you’re too knackered to notice for 2 laps.

I reckon that might be a sign they need servicing.

I now avoid that problem by using a carbon rigid fork – seeing as I didn’t notice I didn’t have suspension, I figured I could do without it.

BearBack
    Free Member

Forks tend to become less plush as they are used.. this is due to the oil becoming contaminated with dirt and little bits of worn inners.
    Once you notice stiction, you’re probably in trouble!
    Keeping the oil clean is simple and more than do-able at home! Do an oil swap fairly regularly.. even if you dont use them much, its cheap and easy to do and worth it in the long run.
    This is the best way to elongate the life of your fork.
    Remember too that Fox rely on wet foam wipers under the seals to prevent the bushings from wearing the stantion. Keep them inverted so that your rings dont dry out.. dry rings is likely worse than rings wet with dirty oil.. although neither is a good idea.

Fox’s tech help

u02sgb
    Free Member

Anyone got an idea where you can get your hands on lots of the Fox "crush washers" your meant to replace from the bottom of the fork? I’ve done a couple of oil changes with the same ones and am loathe to pay £15 for the full seal kit just to get the washers.

Stu.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If they are two years old and you haven’t had them serviced, be prepared to have your stanchions replaced, oh and get them serviced NOW! They are well overdue.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i give my forks an oil change once a year or so until the seals or bushings start to go then send it off to Mojo/tftuned if everything else is ok (i.e. stanchions haven’t worn).

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its probably too late to save the stachions. Depends on how abraisive the local mud is.

My forks generally get sluice out, wipe down and fresh oil once or twice a year, with a flooks service every year to 18months – sending it to flooks is more about having an expert eye look at the condition of the innards rather than a general clean and fresh oil.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I serviced my Rebas about 2 months ago, but had a very very muddy ride on Sunday, I thought I’d better service them again after that and I’m glad I did the amount of cack that had soaked into the foam rings was alarming.

From now on I’m going to do them every 4 weeks throughout the rest of the winter / spring.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m terrified by the prospect for servicing/wrecking my Fox 32 F120 RLs. Is there is a guide for complete numpties?

stumpy01

Sorry to hijack this, but with respect to servicing Rock Shox forks…..when i tried I an absolute nightmare getting the top seals out and new ones back in.
    Do people have a special technique/widget for doing this?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi, if you check the Fox web site it gives service instruction videos that a fairly easy to follow. Even if you bought the tools needed, and a seal kit from mojo (£15) + oil its still cheaper than sending them away. With the fox forks (and probably others) If you wait till the anodising has worn off the stanchions its too late…………. Its time for expensive new uppers. Its a case of preventative maintanance. The top seals wear and let dirt and water in this becomes a very abbrasive mixture and wears between the bushes and stanchions. If you ride a lot in wet muddy conditions (like every one in the UK) I would say pull off the lowers and replace the oil and top seals evry 6 months minimum.

coffeeking
    Free Member

If they are two years old and you haven’t had them serviced, be prepared to have your stanchions replaced, oh and get them serviced NOW! They are well overdue

Are they making forks out of butter these days?! I’m still on a set of 2000 Z1 drop-offs that blew a seal in teh first few months (I replaced) and have since been serviced only once until about 3 months ago. Still working fine and dandy! My brother is still on a set of ’98 bombers 🙂

BearBack
    Free Member

I’m terrified by the prospect for servicing/wrecking my Fox 32 F120 RLs. Is there is a guide for complete numpties?

I posted a link to the Fox service centre in my earlier post

You can navigate to the F120 pages from there.

sq225917
    Free Member

I’m on a two year old set of RC41’s xcams that have never seen a service, but they were made for Brit mud…

BearBack
    Free Member

Are they making forks out of butter these days?! I’m still on a set of 2000 Z1 drop-offs that blew a seal in teh first few months (I replaced) and have since been serviced only once until about 3 months ago. Still working fine and dandy! My brother is still on a set of ’98 bombers

I guess thats what you get for lighter better damped products.

the first forks I ever serviced were Marzocchis some ’99 Junior T’s and a pair of 98 bombers.. whilst the forks still "worked" the difference post service was quite something! The fork oil was basically a slurry of metallic gunk.
    Those Marz forks were a doddle to swap the oil in.. so i definately recommend that you have a go on yours.. I think you’ll probably appreciate the importance of clean oil once you do and breath a new lease of life back into the old faithfulls 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘how to tell when forks need servicing?’ is closed to new replies.