Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • How to stop a baby waking up at 5am?
  • damo2576
    Free Member

Any ideas? 20 months old, used to sleep to 7am no problem.
    Knackered.

lodious
    Free Member

More feeding before bedtime?

damo2576
    Free Member

thanks – tried that, tried putting to bed later and earlier, no bloody difference!

tree-magnet
    Free Member

My one started doing this so we kept him up a little later for a couple of nights till he got back into waking up at 7 am again.

damo2576
    Free Member

My one started doing this so we kept him up a little later for a couple of nights till he got back into waking up at 7 am again.

We tried this for a couple of nights and didnt work for us. May try again though as it seems to have worked for a few people we’ve spoken too…

damo2576
    Free Member

Oh Teletubbies is on

spooky_b329

Your heating/hot water doesn’t come on at 5am? Wakes me up…

damo2576
    Free Member

Your heating/hot water doesn’t come on at 5am? Wakes me up…

Interesting, her room is above the boiler – heating doesnt come on at that time but perhaps hot water? Will investigate!
    Thanks

incognito
    Free Member

pee in it’s shoes.

lodious
    Free Member

Oh Teletubbies is on

Happy memories! Terrible hangovers trying to catch an extra 10 minutes sleep with a screaming baby, waiting for CBBies to start.

Got it all to come again from the 17th of December….kill me now.

catfood
    Free Member

As they grow up their sleep patterns change, my son went through a period of waking from 3 til 4 then getting up at 5, not nice but it settled back down, does he/she have an afternoon nap, maybe try to cut that out or do what I do and go to bed at 10.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Pffft, In the Night Garden and Wayballo are where it’s at now. 🙄

geoffj

Sat up waiting for cbeebies to start, I remember that.
    It’s just a phase – it’ll pass.

Some one once said to me that it all happens in 6 week cycles. I think they were spot on.

Drac

One of those things, they can change their pattern. You may find something to break it but best advice is teach her it’s still bedtime. Don’t let her think it’s ok to get up by taking away from the bedroom.

Anyway my wife is getting the kids sorted for school, think I’ll grab another 5 minutes.

rob2
    Free Member

I feel your pain – we have one aged 23months and one 6 months.

what are you giving he/she for tea? We found our 23month old sleeps better if we don’t have sugary puddings, even fruit. Worth a try maybe.

What I don’t get is why don’t kids indoor play places or kids weekend classes start at 7am, they’d get loads of business!

Markie
    Free Member

Have you cut back on the amount of sleep the baby gets during the day? Every month or two ours starts waking early, I then cut ten minutes off her daytime sleep and then she starts sleeping through again. Except for last night when teething and a cold had us up for four hours.

djglover
    Free Member

Its coldest just before dawn, is he cold.

Ours twins are 22 months and go through these phases. We just tuck them in then ignore it, they soon learn

geoffj

Every month or two ours starts waking early, I then cut ten minutes off her daytime sleep

You time the daytime sleep to that level of accuracy? 😯

What happens if they drop off in the push chair or the car – do you wake them up?

Dark-Side

Pffft, In the Night Garden and Wayballo are where it’s at now.

Not at that time in the morning its not. Telly Tubbies, Tommy Zoom and Everythings Rosie.

I feel your pain Damo, its been 5.30am starts here for the last 6 months (2 year old). I’m just used to it now.

luked2
    Free Member

20 months old?

Probably just bored and fancies some attention.

If you respond to the crying then it’s working for them.

20 months isn’t really a baby, more a toddler. Can he/she speak? If so, get a clock and explain about the short hand and getting up time.

damo2576
    Free Member

So many parents here!

All good advice, thanks. At the moment she’s sleeping for an hour at lunchtime. Going to bed at 7.30ish. Waking at 5, we go in tell her its still bed time, per her back down. She screams. We’ll leave her then till 6 as I think like some people have said if we just get her up then she’s just getting her own way and before you know it 5am is the regular wake up time!

Going to try bed later for a few days…

Its not too bad, I was asleep during question time, my wife beat me being asleep at 9.30!

Hopefully it will pass…

VanHalen

cricket bat?

although more dinner was the answer in our house. That said my sisters kid was up at 5am regardless untill she was about 6yr old! she used to stand in the doorway and scream the house down untill she got attention. when her little bro got big enough to punch her for waking him up it stopped.

ocrider

Pffft, In the Night Garden and Wayballo are where it’s at now.

Plus Big and Small for the grownups 😆

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Get used to earlier mornings, lovely time of the day, just a shame you picked the winter to start with.

Absolute treat in the summer, quiet, cool and great listening to the birds singing along with the fantastic colours of sunrise

Been getting up at 05.30 for as long as I can remember and wouldn’t want it any other way, just means going to bed a bit earlier

lodious
    Free Member

It’s just a phase – it’ll pass

Lot easier to say that when it’s someone else going through it 😀

steve-g
    Free Member

Keep them up a bit later, feed them later, less sleep in the day, make sure the room is dark – are there any street lights outside the room that are now on at 5am?

wwaswas

Our daughter did this for about 4 months.

Tried everything, nothing worked.

You just get used to getting up at 5am every other day and dozing on the sofa ’til 7am whilst they watch dvd’s or whatever.

Then, one day, she started sleeping through ’til 7 and has done ever since.

molgrips
    Free Member

It could be food. Try giving her a snack then putting her back down. When our little one wakes up in the night it’s because she’s on a growth spurt and she’s starving all the time.

jwh
    Free Member

Try a Gro Clock http://www.gro.co.uk/Gro-clock.html

Works a treat our little one now shouts when the sun comes up… best thing is at weekends its set later so we get more sleep

bol

They grow out of it – at about 6 from my experience. I’m sharing the joy of Everything’s Rosie with my two year old at the moment. Counting down the years…

luked2
    Free Member

It’s nothing like as bad as when they become teenagers. That *really* does your head in.

deep_river
    Free Member

we’ve tried everything, and yet my 2 yr old still gets up between 5 and 6 every morning!

rusky
    Free Member

Wait till the clocks go back in a couple of weeks, it will be 4am then 😥

Markie
    Free Member

You time the daytime sleep to that level of accuracy?

What happens if they drop off in the push chair or the car – do you wake them up?

Embarrassingly, she now has a 17 minute morning nap :/

I won’t wake her if she dozes off in the car, but would try to have a rough idea of how long she slept for and would adjust the next nap time accordingly. In the buggy it would depend what we were doing, but yes I sometimes wake her up there too…

It’s really not as psychotic as writing it down makes it sound, I hope (though this may not be the time to mention the daily baby food, sleep, poo and activity log book)!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Can’t offer any advice just got me worried the 7 till 7 we have finally got sorted ( at 16 months) will soon be gone…

damo2576
    Free Member

6.15 this morning! Anything after 6 is fine with me – agree with previous posters about being up early – love it when no one else around. Just 5am is a little too early for me.

So today was:
    6.15up
    6.15-7.15 CBeebies
    Tag team with wife
    7.30-9.30 Singletrack blast up Stanmer Park!

damo2576
    Free Member

Walk the dog now then out for duvel and curry for lunch. Perfect.

leffeboy

Ah, it’s a karma balance thing. Wakey is going to be 4am tomorrow to compensate 🙂
    Jealous

Bunnyhop

Have you got ‘blackout lined’ curtains/blinds? They can often get you an extra half an hour if natural light is reduced.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Change your clocks to 7 am 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘How to stop a baby waking up at 5am?’ is closed to new replies.