Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • How to spend new years in Singapore?
  • Jezkidd
    Free Member

I hereby submit the question to the stw oracle, never been there before but backpacking through on the 30th

Cheers,

Jez

Waderider
    Free Member

Singapore is the worst place I’ve ever been to in my life. If you like humidity while experiencing the best service industries and base capitalism has to offer, you’ll like it.

Otherwise I recommend a Scottish bothy and a bottle of whisky, with pals and a fire.

ben
    Free Member

On a more constructive note, I’d suggest making sure you’ve got a view of the Marina Bay Sands hotel (the building that looks like a ship perched on three skyscrapers) wherever you end up. This will give you a decent view of some pretty spectacular fireworks.

Obvious choices for such vantage points are Clarke Quay and Robertson Quay areas where you’ll find plenty of bars, etc. It’s a bit touristy, but then you are a tourist!

If you want to push the boat out you go to one of the rooftop bars (MBS, altitude, etc.) but they will cost.

There will no doubt be fairly big beach parties on Sentosa (I like Tanjong Beach Club) but, again, they’ll be expensive.

New year is not a huge night here (Chinese New Year is a much bigger deal), but the above suggestions will be where the parties are.

If the above doesn’t appeal, you could opt to head out to Pulau Ubin (a small island to the east of the mainland) where you could have a much quieter evening on an island resembling what Singapore used to be like and eat some of the best seafood our little island offers.

Hope you manage to enjoy it more that Waderider did.. 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m sure someone will be along in a minute to suggest the four floors!

Edit: As previously discussed…

jajdxb
    Free Member

Clarke quay

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Clarke quay

is full of ex-pats and OKish, that’s all.

Ben’s local, so he knows what he’s talking about. Straits bar is another that’s great for a view.

For a fine feed, try Din Tai Fung just opposit Raffles. Surprisingly brilliant and astonishingly cheap! (Ben, I should have kept the whole receipt on my card!)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How to spend new years in Singapore?’ is closed to new replies.