Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • How to sell a bike?
  • LMT
    Free Member

Probably a daft question but struggling to sell a bike, i think it could be down to the frame size being a 15.5. My last resort is to ebay the bike but would rather not.

So far posted in the classified in here and bikeradar, poster up in my LBS all 3 of them. Searched the wanted lists and offered the bike, someone said i wanted too much so i lowered the price, but nope still have the bike. Its a good bike, the only reason im trying to sell it is due to the fact i need an urban/road bike for work, and don’t have space for 2 mtb’s and a road bike. So any tips? or just ebay it?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Selling bikes is a funny old game sometimes. I have sold bikes really quickly (Genesis Day 01 went last week in less than 24 hours) and others have hung around. It really is a case of being lucky that the right person sees your advert. Ebay seems to have a bigger audience so this improves your chances of finding a buyer.

Have you thought about splitting it and selling the bits? It is easier for people to find money for parts rather than a whole bike.

carlphillips
    Free Member

join the club i’ve been trying to get rid of my 224 for 2 weeks now and only messers and young kids offering rc cars and xbox games, if i was in the market for my bike i’d snap it up its a minter yet not a sniff..
    will be splitting soon and will prob end up making more on it but there is always the hassle factor and chancve you end up with odd bits that dont sell….dont forget evilbay takes a fair chunk of profit now and factor that into your price..

ampthill

i couldn’t see a link to your advert on your profile. But your reply to a wanted seemed a fair price but i’m not an expert. Its a fairly small frame. You just need the right buyer. A fs isn’t an obvious autumn buy. How about a long buy it now on ebay

LMT
    Free Member

I advertised it a while ago and failed to sell it, readvertised it the other day on Bikeradar as i got more interest on there. The bike is fairly mint considering its age and the stuff ive done on the bike.

I certainly haven’t done the nevis red route on it, or laggan wolftrax and many other welsh trails honest! lol, the bike is in great condition really didnt want to sell it, but i need a commuter due to cycling helps me unstress and im working 14 hrs a day so no time for mtb’ing.

Here is the link:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12736379

incognito
    Free Member

have you thought of breaking it up? I’m after a small frame for my other half & son to use. I may be interested in the frame & bb.

neninja
    Free Member

I never have any luck selling on Bikeradar apart from people making pee taking offers.

STW is the best and Ebay the place of last resort.

A decent description with a spec list, size etc combined with plenty of pictures will increase your chances of a sale loads.

This is the way not to sell a bike – http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-specialized-stumpjumper-fsr-s-works-2010

No pictures, no spec list – just a plain lazy ad. If you want someone to drop £3000 on a bike make an effort.

incognito
    Free Member

and only his 2nd post…..avoid, avoid!

JonR
    Free Member

It is now mid October and the off season for selling bikes, prices are plumeting and now there are santa cruz and turner frames going for 300 ish quid which you would never see in the spring or summer months. At this time of year if you want a reasonble price for your bike you need to put it in the shed til the spring and as the good weather comes along and people want to be out on those sunny hills the prices start to go back up again.

elaineanne
    Free Member

crikey thort youd have no peobs selling that frame size (my hardtail is 13 ich im well struggling…had it on classifieds on this forum for ages no bites…then a randon thread popped up the other day on here and now i have two emails saying they are interested…. also i replyed to one of those adverts out the magazine (similar to cash my gold adverts, i gave them the spec of my bike with upgrades bof it etc ..sods only offered me 100 pounds and then a mechanic was going to look it over and they said it mite be even less than 1000 quid if i had over specced it !!!! cheeky sods.lol

elaineanne
    Free Member

oops 100 pounds not 1000 pounds (stupido keyboard,,,
    patience is a virtue as they say lol

will1
    Free Member

elaine
    What bike is it??

chriswilk
    Free Member

small framed bikes go well as Xmas presents for fast growing kids.
    Market it as this and it might go??

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Just stick it everywhere you can:

STW, BikeRadar, PinkBike, Retrobike, MTB Britain, Gumtree, AdTrader and any local free-ads papers you have.

Then put it on eBay with a buy it now or best offer option and see what you get.

Nothing sells slower than an overpriced bike so be realistic with your pricing.

You may get your price by simply selling frame, forks, wheels and brakes seperately too.

elaineanne
    Free Member

will 1.. its a specialized myka elite hardtail. ive added rockshox recon race forks to it since buying it from lesiurelakes bikes in 2008. and straight away i upgraded it from 8 speed to 9 speed.

pic :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23692229@N07/3337889696/

will1
    Free Member

How much??

elaineanne
    Free Member

how nuch wud you offer will 1…. ive been offered too many rediculous prices now…lol

LMT
    Free Member

Ive seen one on ebay, but the cheeky seller has it listed as a 2008 model but has a bid for £550, i know its the same bike, just his is the wsd version. Might give it till friday then ebay the bike. Its too much overkill as a commuter.

will1
    Free Member

Well I am in Tod so collection is easy, just start the bidding!!

will1
    Free Member

LMT
    Would you post it?

LMT
    Free Member

Would rather not post it, too much hassle, trying to find a box, damn thing won’t fit in a banana box! i have offered to meet people at cannock as i bike there twice a week. I don’t mind travelling meeting halfway, if the price is right.

will1
    Free Member

What’s the best price??

will1
    Free Member

LMT
    Can you mail me please. Can’t see yours in your profile. Thanks

elaineanne
    Free Member

i was selling mine for 400 ….(cos i added the beefier forks….

bruneep

Would rather not post it, too much hassle, trying to find a box

Really?

Free box from LBS/Halfords
    wheels off, turn the bars.
    call courier firm to pick up.

you’ve just cut down the number of your prospective buyers.

will1
    Free Member

Cheers Elaine but that’s way too much for me with the spec it has.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘How to sell a bike?’ is closed to new replies.