Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • how to save 1,400g off the weight of your bike for less than £250
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Those wheels are light not because of good design or fancy materials – there is just nothing there! I wouldnt take those wheels off road.

rubbish – I had Pro XC6 with 355s for several years and was probably 13st with pack on and they took a fair bashing, although nothing airborne that wasn’t part of the trail.

and wifey must weight less than me.

only reason I am getting some pro2 evos with more spokes is the front wheel was folded after a dog collision from the side and the bike shop screwed up twice – rebuilt it with a crest but not central, and then when a spoke nipple popped they left a flat spot in the wheel after trueing and then more spoke nipples have gone.

so new and slightly heavier wheels for the turner and those 24 spoke hubs might go on some Iron Crosses for the cross bike.

honourablegeorge

just trying to find a well priced pair of pro 2 evos / crests to put on the turner which i sold to my best mate.

I might have just that for sale shortly. Although the front hub is Chris King.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Those wheels are light not because of good design or fancy materials – there is just nothing there! I wouldnt take those wheels off road.
    Are you talking about going back to non-locking grips? – but they are rubbish. Why not run no grips at all – thats even lighter.

Are you actually serious, my mates ran them on his superlight for a good 2 years and they’re faultless

He’s even ridden over rocks with them!!

stu1972
    Free Member

only reason I am getting some pro2 evos with more spokes is the front wheel was folded after a dog collision from the side

Not the sausage dog I hope ?

chriswilk
    Free Member

interesting, got a SH bike coming with pro3 XC6 / DT 4.2 rims / ashima air 160 rotors. Not sure if i’ll keep them or sell them to get someting a little more robust.
    Sounds like they may take the battering I’ll give them. 13 stone on a hardtail for mainly XC stuff.

trail_rat
    Free Member

got pro 3 SP on 355s on my race bike. thats the only place ill ave em , two issues at play here , 1 is hopeless hope hoop build and 2 is low spoke tension means they like attention all the time

nice wheels for a purpose im 12 stone riding fairly groomed XC race courses – wouldnt like to be using them for anything rough given the looking after i have to give em – and it was worse till i rebuilt them , the original build snapped several spokes in the center of the spoke at random points round the wheel – something ive never seen EVER in 10 years of spannering bikes in a shop.

rebuilt them to spec as i know from prior that if you ramp up tension on stans rims the nipples pull through 🙁

be fine for mincing though im sure

Toasty

Rather tragically I think swapping my nice Ourys to some ESI Chunkys was the smallest weight gain I’ve ever achieved for the biggest negative side effect. Even riding on a tiny rock hard saddle, at least I can stand up to get away from it. Cut them off with scissors and stuck the Ourys back on.

Victory!

Ditching sensible tyres and riding with thin little 500g tyres comes a close second. Didn’t cut them off with scissors, bet I could have done though.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

hopeless hope hoop build

mine were from Roger Musson who trimmed them up before sale. I think he thought the Hope build was too tight.

greeble
    Free Member

my hope sp xc3’s built onto mavic crossride rims have stood up to all sorts of abuse

njee20
    Free Member

Ditching sensible tyres and riding with thin little 500g tyres comes a close second. Didn’t cut them off with scissors, bet I could have done though

Seeing as 2.25″ Rons and Ralphs are lighter than that I suspect it was the tyre as much as its girth and weight to blame…

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Not picking on you Trail Rat, but you’re supposing I suppose ?

trail_rat – Member

is she fly weight ?

fuel EX will encourage hooliganism – the LAST place id put a pair of those wheels……. there delicate SOBs

I’d have to disagree been using them for 8 months and they have stood a pasting, I’m no lightweight in fact 10kg over the suggested weight for the wheel and they are still running true.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘how to save 1,400g off the weight of your bike for less than £250’ is closed to new replies.