Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How to re-locate gas and electricity meters?
  • BigJohn

I need to relocate a gas and an electricity meter which are in an under-stair cupboard.

They’re on the outside wall (but on the inside of the house) so I’m thinking I could set a proper cabinet into the wall which is accessible from the outside. Nevertheless I’d have to lift them up a couple of feet. The distribution board is old so I’ll be replacing that with a current spec one.

Current supplier for gas & elec is E-on.

(waits for flaming – literally.)

johnellison
    Free Member

Are you qualified to do this? With the gas meter particularly I’m fairly sure that it may be illegal to move it if you are not qualified/licensed.

Personally I’d speak to your service provider first.

althepal

Don’t know exact details but I’ve been told its quite expensive to do this and also a pita because up to the meter, its owned by the utility company. Dealing with them is apparently a very long drawn out affair.
    Come back and let us know how much they quote you- I had considered something similar to put in a downstairs loo but have been told it’ll cost a fortune.

djglover
    Free Member

You need to speak to the network operators, not the suppliers btw, as they own the pipes to the meter. And yes, it can be costly for two I doubt you’d get change from a grand.

BigJohn

No I’m not qualified to do this – I’d be getting somebody in who was.

How do I find out who the network operators are? This is in Stafford.

DavidB
    Free Member

Cost me £560 to have my gas meter moved from inside the house to an outside box. It was not drawn out at all, I filled in an application form got a quote very quickly after a site visit and work was done within 3 weeks. This was in Devon so may vary elsewhere. In Devon it has to be done by the network operator.

BigJohn

No, I use Bing. 8)

bigyinn
    Free Member

BigJohn – Member

No I’m not qualified to do this – I’d be getting somebody in who was.

How do I find out who the network operators are? This is in Stafford. You should be able to find this out reasonably easily from your current supplier (you pay the bills to them) surely?

BigJohn

Thanks guys. E-On contacted and a quote will be forthcoming. And big.

phil.w
    Free Member

No, I use Bing.

Hence having to ask on here. 🙂

BigJohn

Might not be good for meters but it’s better for pron.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

You phone the network owner not your gas supplier. Only they can move it. You ask for an altercation of service pack to be sent out. The price varies from area to area. Usually between 300-600 as long as the pipework on your property doesn’t exceed 20 meters from the road to the meter point. Just remember if you want an inset recessed meter box into the wall you have to pay another contractor to take the bricks out of the wall prior to installation. The surface mounted meter box and semi concealed in the ground are the easiest. No price difference. Time is 3-6weeks unless a road closure is needed to turn or your gas supply or the main is on someone else’s land.

Guess what I used to do for a living lol.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Oh and once the meter is fitted outside you need to get a corgi registered engineer to connect your internals to the meter outside.

BigJohn

You ask for an altercation of service pack

Altercation sounds right!

Harry from the Stile Cop D/Hers is my Corgi Gas Safe registered engineer of choice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How to re-locate gas and electricity meters?’ is closed to new replies.