Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How to protect car from a boot mounted bike rack
  • canopy
    Free Member

Hi All,

As subject says, any tips on protecting car?

Clutch just went on my car so its getting scrapped as its not worth it to repair (valuation at best 500, clutch cost 500+). Luckily, the Mrs hadn’t sold her old Golf yet so I’m in that for now – but don’t want to scratch that car up too prior to sale.

I used my boot carrier wit my civic for the last 18 months on a weekly basis and hit two problems. In the end it had already happened I wasn’t too worried on my old car.

1. the hooks part rubs away at the tailgate. (this is a flat piece of metal about 4 cm wide
    2. due to the curve of the boot the strap rubbed the paint in some places too. this may not apply to the golf if hte strap doesn’t wrap around the tailgate as much, wont know yet.

Also, I’ll be getting a new car (probably a newer golf) in the next couple months or so and want to protect that car until i get a towbar or roof carrier rack fitted. (or I never ride again as the mrs due date is mid-sept… lol)

Thanks! 🙂

oldnpastit

nickjb
    Free Member

Helicopter tape

frogstomp

When I had one, I used thick ‘copter tape where the rack touched the bodywork. Wasn’t 100% and had to replace every so often but it was better than nothing.

philjunior
    Free Member

Yeah, helicopter tape or if it’s really only a short duration T cut it prior to sale.

belugabob
    Free Member

Just bite the bullet and get a towbar fitted – zero contact between rack & car.

Kryton57

I bought a Halford Chamois leather and cut it into four to put a piece under each foot.

ads678

Put bike in car until you get a tow bar fitted.

michaelbowden

1. Make sure the car is clean
    2. Pieces of microfibre cloth

canopy
    Free Member

Just bite the bullet and get a towbar fitted – zero contact between rack & car.

not spending that kind of money on a car i don’t own, and might only use for a month or two..

thanks for chamois/cloth suggestions. i’ll look into that 🙂

andybrad

having got a golf ive had significant issues fitting a boot mounted rack. The issue is the boot has too tight panel gaps.

Just to make you aware. im not the only one.

canopy
    Free Member

ah yeah.. well thing is.. the mrs old car is an 03 one, just peeked out of my office window. looks like it’ll be fine in the middle bit.

new car will be worth putting a tow bar/roof mount on if they dont fit.

i know the bluemotion tech and ‘proper’ bluemotion golfs/polos have tighter fitting doors/panels

windyg
    Free Member

Get a van

nickdavies

Proper 3m copter tape.
    My t5 rack has been on there 6 years and it’s just in need of changing. Unmarked underneath. Clean it really well before hand, degrease the paint and warm the tape slightly.

richardkennerley

I had a boot mounted rack on a corsa a few years ago. wrapped each foot in cheap insulation tape, job done.

canopy
    Free Member

i’m going to go for something like that 🙂

i’ll also see what copter tape i’ve got left kicking around. i’ve def got matte rhino tape (as my bike is anodised)

I checked panel fitment this morning. the straps fit on the top and side, but the bottom ones are going to have to go under the bumper

Get a van

would be nice, but i want something that does 50mpg for commuting, and doubled up duty as a (new soon-to-be) dad wagon for family duties.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How to protect car from a boot mounted bike rack’ is closed to new replies.