Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How to make my rims less tacky :(
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

OK I know I shouldnt have but Ive just peeled the decals off my rims leaving behind lots of little islands of glue residue that just wont come off

Im desperately trying to resist robbing my GF's nail varnish remover cos Im worried about destroying the plastic

I have 3h before meeting the lads for an evening ride
    As soon as I hit the trail my rims are going to attract a whole heap of dust and filth which will then be stuck fast and never come off

Any ideas?

If I chance it and leave the glue patches alone will they eventually dry and fall off or stay tacky frever?

Cheers

bassspine
    Free Member

disk brake cleaner will remove sticker guck.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

as will lighter fluid

Northwind

Or isopropyl alcohol (which is basically what most brake cleaner is) or paraffin, or white spirit, or WD40 or TF2 or GT85 or whatever your stoddart-solvent-in-a-can-with-additives of choice is. Or petrol. Quite a lot of the better solvents flash off really fast, so you might want to soak a rag in it and lay that on the wheel instead.

Oh, and use a rough cloth not kitchen paper or whatever, old tshirt is ideal.

lagerfanny
    Free Member

+1 for WD40, that's it's best use!

Daffy

Nail polish remover will take it off. Raid the GFs makeup…you probably paid for it anyway!

scaredypants

suspect you've already made them less tacky by taking off the stickers

now you've just got to make them less sticky

njee20
    Free Member

Im desperately trying to resist robbing my GF's nail varnish remover cos Im worried about destroying the plastic

What part of your set up is plastic!? Nail varnish remover will definitely do it, or white spirit as the most likely household items to have kicking about!

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Cheers guys

It was petrol wot won it 🙂
    With the help of an old tea towel

Thanks

I just needed the confidence to ignore the plastic rim and pour corrosive petrochemical solvents on it LOL

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How to make my rims less tacky :(’ is closed to new replies.