Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How to make an old bike feel like a new one? Some upgrade advice pleeeeez
  • womble72
    Free Member

I’ve had this from new for about 9 years

It is completely standard apart from new tyres and a charge spoon saddle. I’ve been toying with the idea of keeping it and just updating it as best as possible. What could i do to the old girl to make her feel/ride like a more modern bike? I’ve a limited budget of £500 so is it possible or should i keep her as is and put the money towards a 2nd, more modern bike?

ads678

front and rear susspension service, probably less than £200
    Hydraulic disc brakes, should be able to get for £100
    new bars and stem, easily doable for £50
    New wheels, should be able to get for £200

jonathan
    Free Member

What ads678 said is a good list ^^^

It does depend on what condition stuff is in. If drivetrain is worn then a complete overhaul of that (chain, sprockets, rings, cables) will make it feel nice again. But generally it depends on whether you want it to feel different or feel the same but a bit better. If different then you’re best off looking at a new bike I reckon. If you like the way that one rides then any of those changes will freshen it up a bit. Wheels and disks would be high on my list in that case.

womble72
    Free Member

Ah Thanks chaps. I really like my old girl, she has proven to be a very capable bike. I guess the braking, or lack of, is the big issue at the moment then her ride comfort/handling next. I got shiny bike syndrome earlier this year and was really lusting after a new bike but today, looking at my old girl, I still have a soft spot for her and thought a change of a few parts would be more beneficial. I’m not really good with the spanners so do you reckon swapping brakes and wheels etc is easy(ish) for a novice?

ads678

fitting new brakes is a doddle, it’s literally just bolting them on in the right place. Bleeding them is daunting but easy once you get into it. Loads of how’s to’s on the internet. watch the videos then go for it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I rather like that, it certainly doesn’t look nine years old!

It’s up to you in the end…if you upgrade bits then you’ll certainly notice a difference but the bike will still feel famailiar. If you decide to upgrade the frame in a few years, you can carry the upgraded bits over so you don’t really lose out. I’d certainly want to go out and test ride a few bikes in the interim though, just to see what you’re missing.

Top of my upgrade list would be the brakes, closely followed by the wheels – I see the hubs that you have are non-disc. Take a look at Merlin Cycles’ website and see if there are any deals on wheel and brake kits. Fitting them is an absolute doddle, your biggest issue is swapping the cassette from the old freehub to the new, but a good LBS will do it for a fiver.

Next up would be the bars and stem. You might want to go for a flatter, wider bar and a shorter stem, which will tighten up the handling without losing you breathing space up front. This can be done surprisingly cheaply.

After that, you might want to change the chainset – £110 buys you SLX and £150 buys you XT. There’s sixty grammes between them and barely a nadgers in stiffness, so I’d go for SLX.

After that, you might want to consider replacing the bearings and servicing the suspension, which may turn expensive depending on the condition of everything. That’s when a new – or nearly new – bike begins to look attractive. Get a second opinion on the bearings etc as they may be fine for a while.

Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve a very similar bike to yours (Merida Transmission LRS – a long travel epic without the horst link) which i overhauled last year.

Went from x317/XT with IRC Mudmads and converted to UST (XM819/Pro2’s), running Fat Alberts – this was the biggest change to the feel of the bike.

New drivechain (SLX except for XT cassette to go with the aluminium freehub) – Nice crisp shifting but not something you’ll notice long term, I got 3×9 rapidrise (to match my alfine bikes) cheap – might be worth looking at 2×10.

Kept the forks (RC40xcam) as they are a nice fit (period and travel wise) and work perfectly, but fitted a new shorter stem to make the bike handle a bit slacker with a midrise bar.

The bike is bang up to date (I spec’ed new bb7’s, but with a bigger rotor up front) and good for another 7 years or so. My budget was ~650yoyos, but this would be before all the price hikes.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Good pads can make all ther difference to the performance of V-brakes. I use Aztec Charcol on mine and they are fine. Clarks make some good one too. Cheaper than discs to.

I would do the following;

New v-brake pads (Aztec charcol or similar).

Suspension service is a must if has not been done at all. Bare minimium overhaul drivetrain if it old and worn, and service hubs.

If we knew the current wheel components and what riding you do we could recomend a hub/rim combo that would be an upgrade. Well built wheels can transform a bike.

Replace worn drivetrain componenets.
    Replace worn BB, headset e.t.c and service hubs if wheel are kept.
    If you are using ISIS BB then replace with a new Shimano external BB and new cranks. ISIS BB where rubbish when new and they have not got better with age. A flawed design.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If drivetrain is worn then a complete overhaul of that (chain, sprockets, rings, cables) will make it feel nice again

This. Go for a complete new simple 1×9/10 setup + BB and shed a some weight too.

And get your brakes upgraded, suspension serviced, new grips and some nice new lightweight rubber. Dismantle and clean everything until spotless.

It will feel great.

marsdenman
    Free Member

+ 1 for suspension service + tune – recently sent my 6yo Fox F100’s off to MOJO for their first fettle since new…
    They came back with an adjustment to to rebound stack (+ shiney & new, new seals etc) an absolute night and day difference in handling my 16 stone riding weight…

womble72
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input. My shiny bike syndrome is being focused on my own bike now. It’s almost like treating the wife to some sexy lingerie 🙂

james
    Free Member

“ISIS BB where rubbish when new and they have not got better with age”
    Apart from the superstar one?

robdeanhove
    Free Member

I’d say it really depends on what you want to do? Aggressive, trailcentre-centric riding or fast/long xc or endurance riding.

I’d recommend the following, assuming from the setup you’re after fast, long rides in the hills without compromising handling, rather than a jump bike, looking at your current setup:

– SPD (clipless, if you prefer) pedals

– Hydraulic disc brakes

– Serice shock & forks

– New gear cable inners (and outers if you’re feeling flash!)

– Tubless tyre conversion, ideally with a modern, wide, tubeless compatible rim. Lighter, faster rolling, more puncture resistant

– Wider, flatter bar (if your back will take it)

All of that may blow your budget. If it doesn’t, spend the rest on pies 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How to make an old bike feel like a new one? Some upgrade advice pleeeeez’ is closed to new replies.