Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)
  • how to get to mornington crescent?
  • mrlebowski
    Free Member

Very droll Angus but dont you know that by virtue of The Egypt/Sinai Accord that move IS allowed after 4pm on Saturday..

So..

The next step obviously is Beirut Central via the new light rail extension.

TA DA!

emsz
    Free Member

(this is so silly)

right, I’ve looked carefully (and I’m only a beginner, so go easy) but I think, with luck you can get from Beruit central to Malta high street via the overnight (see Hanson’s Eastern Edition to confirm) which I think (if I’ve read right) means I can do a shunt to Dover….

Is that right?

CaptJon
    Free Member

emsz – Member
    (this is so silly)

right, I’ve looked carefully (and I’m only a beginner, so go easy) but I think, with luck you can get from Beruit central to Malta high street via the overnight (see Hanson’s Eastern Edition to confirm) which I think (if I’ve read right) means I can do a shunt to Dover….

Is that right?

Almost…

*whispers* Heathrow T4

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Very nice move for a novice emsz. Bravo!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ebbsfleet.

Pook

Slow down Captain. Let’s just welcome emsz into the fold. For a complete beginner that is a rather accomplished move.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You need to learn in the deep end. I reckon she’ll cope.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think you should take a penalty there CFH, 3 moves..& you get to make the Tea..Thats a harsh play for young’un..some have been scarred for life dealing with that kind of mental dexterity..

No offence emsz please but CFH has been a bit of a brute there I feel..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh, hang on, hang on a minute! 😯

That’s what’s known in Footie as a ‘professional foul’. Emsz has played an absolute peach of a move there, stunning. Then Flashy pulls out an Ebbsfleet. That’s ungentlemanly conduct right there. Sheesh.

Flashy, well, I’m surpised at you, I really am. I expected better from you, quite frankly. 😐

Sorry, but I’m afraid you forfeit the game for that. I’m sure everyone will agree with me.

Right, to get things back onto an even keel; Lebanon Road via Croydon Tramlink.

That’s how it should be played, Flashy. Watch and learn… 😉

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Lebanon Road. Like it. Subtle. Deft even..

Hmm..

Its a sideways move required to get out of that one & no mistake..

dawson

(another novice here)

I’d like to invoke the Strictly clause, and give CFH a parking ticket in the Priory Shopping centre carpark.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Can I make the ‘Industrial Action’ move?

Edit:
    No objections, invoked Industrial Action and bus replacement service in place. Camden High Street closed due to water works

jojoA1
    Free Member

I’m going to be controversial, but as It’s obviously ladies’ night I’m sure you gentlemen will allow it:
    Invoking the West Lothian entente (strathclyde variation) I declare Anniesland.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Oi, JoJo, see post above, bus replacement service, miss a turn.

AngusWells

But JoJo could be right. The Edinburgh Tram Controversy, so often detailed on these pages, means that buses as well as trams and trolley buses are null and void north of the border. JoJo, the ball’s back in your court.

Houns

Best thread for a while 😀

Drillski
    Free Member

I don’t want to tip my hand here but…. just hypothetically say…. is crosshatching by proxy still considered bally unreasonable in these parts?

joolsburger
    Free Member

I know I’m a late entrant but I feel that a bifurcation under the strict Oslo accord here is practically a given. Brixton via Morden please.

Drillski
    Free Member

a given? I beg to differ!! I’ll say no more on the matter provided you rescind that move immediately. Other wise I may be forced to suggest a parliamentary Nidd!

AngusWells

The Nidd. Hmm, that runs through Knaresborough doesn’t it? Harrogate Terrace.

Drillski
    Free Member

Sorry, i really don’t want to seem like a jumped up little nobody with nothing better to do than sit here with a copy of the rules on my lap, but the second Oslo convention clearly states that if you watercourse your Nidd status, you “may not cul-de-sac, terrace or avenue for the next two moves” . I’m sorry but Stovold is clear on this for a reason: Anyone who can remember the shambles that was the put forward in defence of Krazinsky on this in ’73 certainly understands……

organic355
    Free Member

jesus not this again!!! do we get this every 6 months or something?

AngusWells

Drillski, I realise that the ending is slightly different, but that could be a translation error from the original cyrillic alphabet, you’re not related to Krazinsky are you? If so, I think you should declare your interest.
    Anyhow, my tail is well and truly between my legs. I think I over-pegged JoJo anyway, so it’s still her go isn’t it?.

Drillski
    Free Member

I am hardly likely to be related….when you bear in mind that Krazinsky was an only child and part of the so called “Western Front Eunoch’s Club”.
    Anyway, apology accepted, and yes, it is indeed Jo-Jo’s turn. Perhaps somebody should point out to her, as a lady, that a “standing delivery” is required if she is thinking of playing through any thoroughfare terminating in a public convenience. This may avoid further reference to somewhat controversial, perhaps slightly outdated, and if i may be so bold, slightly sexist, rules.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I’m going to invoke the Gogarburn built but never going to open eventually linked to the south suburban adjunct. Sorry for going nuclear.

brakes
    Free Member

sorry to say this, but edd’s move to Westminster on page 1 was in direct violation of rule 23 section ix clause c of the original Mandelin variation of Mornington Crescent.
    as such we are forced to take the Jameson conduit to Charing Cross with any further moves having to follow from the ’93 Simpson scenario.
    unfortunately this automatically excludes any players from the north western quadrant of zone 5.

Drillski
    Free Member

well that’s me right out, thanks for nothin’……

Cougar

Sorry, Brakes, I can see where you’re going but that’s not right. Or rather, it is, except the Mandelin was superseded by Wesson’s Annexe in the 1932 refresh.

The whole of rule 23 (which, as I’m sure you know, has always been controversial) was overturned as its frankly lunatic restrictions on diagonal inter-zone travel at weekends meant the it was practically impossible to ever get anywhere without going through Bank, even carrying purple tokens. And I’m sure I don’t need to explain the implications of that.

I can only assume you’ve got an old copy of the Almanac. Fortunately, I’ve got a current tournament edition right here. The full Annexe is obviously too long for me to transcribe here (plus, y’know, Copyright), but the gist of it is that Wesson rather elegantly resolved the Bank problem and subsequent Jameson’s Conduit shunt (which, let’s face it, was messy at best) by supplementing the Northern Line with an extraordinary bus service which, critically, can be assumed to be in place as required to bypass Bank completely. Thus, long plays can be made without having to specify “change at Euston, collect a blue token, get the bus, blah blah” every time. The result being a much faster, more flowing game.

So, Edd’s move was correct; he even mentioned that it was a ‘long play’ (though technically he didn’t need to) presumably to avoid this sort of confusion.

brakes
    Free Member

bleedin’ Wesson and his nu skool refresh – you do realise I’m within my rights to take this to the MCC and ask for a tribunal?

impossible to ever get anywhere without going through Bank, even carrying purple tokens. And I’m sure I don’t need to explain the implications of that.

ah, the Forgotten 12, a great loss to the game.

anyway, carry on.
    Seven Sisters on the side.

Cougar

So to summarise so far,

The last valid move was Elfin’s to Lebanon Road. Because he’s a sneaky git, Jojo and Jools both attempted sadly invalid moves, however Paulosoxo successfully managed to invoke Industrial Action at Charing Cross.

CFH has two turns to get back to within walking distance of the Priory or forfeit his Free Parking,

It’s technically still Jojo’s, turn, however with half the team in Nidd and the board dangerously close to being in Spoon, frankly it’s a free-for-all.

So, can anyone see a way out of Elfin’s nasty little boobytrap without causing signal failure? I can see one way, perhaps two if you’re going to be a little, ah, creative (-: but I’m still missing a turn so can’t play just yet.

Cougar

Seven Sisters, you say. Interesting.

*squints*

Go on, I give up, how do you get there, then? It’s sure as hell not valid on a SuperSaver.

Cougar

Wait a minute. It’s the bloody Central Line, isn’t it. You can do it if you walk from Moorgate. Good spot. *applause*

brakes
    Free Member

it needs no explanation anyway as it is a lunatam veteribus superior move

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Easy, so easy..too easy..but if you cant see it I aint gonna say it.

For clues I refer you to the New Electric Addition of rules (Boris version 2011)..

Cor I cant believe you lot are making such hard work out of this..

Cougars damn close mind..

Cougar

lunatim, ITYM.

And no, I couldn’t see any reason it’d be invalid, I just couldn’t see a direct route. It took me a moment to realise, there isn’t one, but that’s ok.

Cougar

Oh come now. You can’t seriously be suggesting playing non-ratified amendments?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Youre right you know..Ill take the penalty & sit this one out for 3..Biscuit preference anyone? I might as well nip down the shop while the committee sort this out..

Cougar

TBH, the only good bit about the so-called ‘Boris’ revision is the inclusion of cycle hire, though there’s a genuine concerns that it makes the game too easy.

I personally think it’d be a useful addition as an optional ruleset for the Beginner’s Game, but have grave reservations about its suitability for tournament play.

Anyway, as you were. Do you want to grab some bourbons? Ta.

FraserHughes
    Free Member

Sorry chaps. Late start, so I believe I’m entitled to use the sussex bypass to catch up 8)

I follow that with a pint and some scratchings in the Queen Vic, and I’m on double moves next turn…

theflatboy
    Free Member

after a five day mechanical hiatus, we arrive at Pimlico.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘how to get to mornington crescent?’ is closed to new replies.