Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • How to get better at photography?
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

A recent sfb shot completely ignoring those "depleted uranium" rules, yet somehow managing to have an obvious subject, strong lead-in lines, thirds, foreground interest, triangular geometry and framing

thanks I'm sure, but I never thought about any of those things when either taking the shot or cropping it. I just did what I thought looked right. I did include the tree on the left for contrast…

Don't you agree Simon?

well, I agree bits of milk bottle can start forest fires

GrahamS

I just did what I thought looked right.

Yep, you naturally intuit "the rules" but I don't think that makes naming them or thinking about them somehow toxic to your photography.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you naturally intuit "the rules" but I don't think that makes naming them or thinking about them somehow toxic to your photography.

I put a lot of effort into surpressing their memory as I think they stultify freedom of expression 🙁

GrahamS

Wouldn't want to restrict your artistic range simon 😀

😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Fworr! NOW do you see why I have no time for technical details ??

Trekster

Fine set`o hips on the girl in pink 😉

New camera play time. Tried a few different sttings on these pics just for experimental reasons.

Just happened to look in the mirror, watching & waiting on wife finishing work, noticed this & snapped.
    Tell me/us what your thoughts are.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Interesting thread, which I've followed without contributing (I don't think I've much to add anyway).

My thoughts:

Kit – I frequently look at your Flickr photos in the photo-a-day pool and I've seen a lot that I like. Some of your Drumlanrig ones were excellent and show a bit of thought about how to use a camera to convey a mood or an effect. I like quite a few of your 365 shots too. Obviously not every shot is going to be a standout but I firmly believe you learn by doing and, crucially, by looking at what others are shooting to gain ideas and inspiration. Some technical knowledge about how an image is created is crucial if you want to grow as a photographer.

What happened to Photo Club? Did Ti29er get a High Court Injunction against it? 😉

Ti29er
    Free Member

To prove Dr correct.
    I'm not sure whose image it is, but I thought a little crop might help.

PhotoClub? No idea what that is? Please elaborate.

There's no "right" or "wrong". It's just that if you wish to earn a living from photography there's a level or standard your images need to be at.

You can go and study photography at Uni, do a Masters even, it doesn't make your photography any more saleable – I know, my assistant has letters galore after his name & he's the first to admit his skills lie outside of the actual picture taking process. Clients still pay him £500 a day to be the 2nd photographer at my bigger weddings.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm not sure whose image it is, but I thought a little crop might help.

it's mine 🙂 This is how I cropped it:

the thumbnail above is a fixed 225×150 for the front page of the website. I nearly always go widescreen to fit the browser window

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘How to get better at photography?’ is closed to new replies.