Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • how to get a tubeless tire off?
  • ollie151
    Free Member

i bought a secont hand swift a while ago. i didn’t realize untill i started riding it that it had tubeless tires. being a beginner to the MTB world, i didnt even know this existed. anyway, the tire never got punctures so i didnt think about it too much

recently i got a big gash in the sidewall and i need to replace the tire.

problem one, i can’t ge tht e tire off the wheel. its really tight on. is that normal??

should it be difficult?

can anyone offer advice on changing and reinstalling.

i guess i will need new sealant gunk as well??

cheers

mattjg
    Free Member

deflate

push firmly all around one side on the beading trying to dislodge, press beading into centre of the rim where there will likely be a channel, repeat other side

in the worse case cut if off because if you can’t get it off on the trail it’s useless anyway

its really tight on. is that normal??

It can happen, depends on the tyre/rim combo.

But I wouldn’t run a tyre that I couldn’t get off the rim trailside, in case I slashed it irreparably and needed to put a tube in.

can anyone offer advice on changing and reinstalling.

many many threads here, do a search

i guess i will need new sealant gunk as well??

Yes.

scruff
    Free Member

it will be tight, squash the tyre with your hands to pull the beads togther to unseat a bit of the bead then keep doing that to unseat the bead all round, one side at a time may be easier. As for installing depends what system it uses (tubless ready with gunk / UST) but try this for instructions-

http://www.notubes.com/detailed_kit_instruction.aspx

frogstomp

As above.. and only try and get one bead off at a time (rather than trying to roll the whole tyre off in one go)..

Northwind

Give it a firm shove with your thumbs, hard as you can. Move an inch or two round the rim, and repeat, going in both directions. Once it’s slightly loose over a short (6 inch or so) section it’ll come much easier than trying to push it off in one go.

Kills your thumbs, this! but on the plus side makes the seal more reliable.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘how to get a tubeless tire off?’ is closed to new replies.