Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • how to get a pet owl or Pig or possibly a small goat
  • bikerbruce
    Free Member

due to stw infinate wealth of knowledgable people i thought it best to ask on here,How would one become the owner of said pets (above)
    what would be the cost involved
    Bruce

wwaswas

I wouldn’t really describe any of them as ‘pets’ really.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Owl? Go on a falconry forum, but by all account’s birds of prey make rubbish pets, even after years of training, one day they’ll fly off your hand, spot a mouse on the ground and decide that’s just as attractive as the bit of scabby meat in your hand and not come back, they’re more mercinary than even cats! You’ll also need an aviary, loads of kit, trainng courses, licences, a comitment to take it out flying every day (if they get even slightly overweight they can’t fly, if they cant fly they can’t lose weight, if they cant lose weight, they can’t fly, etc, etc, etc).

Pig/goats you’ll need a field for, but not much else.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Falconry forum
    OH had an owl – quite a lot of work, not cheap, serious’ish commitment. Also need looking after, so no more holidays until it decides it doesn’t want to hang around any more.

if you want something different get some rare breed chickens

nealglover
    Free Member

OH had an owl – quite a lot of work, not cheap, serious’ish commitment. Also need looking after, so no more holidays

Can’t help thinking that humans, as intelligent as we are as a species, are pretty bloody stupid sometimes.

We manage to take an animal, that is perfectly capable of looking after itself, totally free, and without intervention.

And make it an expensive and time consuming pet that takes a lot of commitment to look after.

Then, one day, off it goes, and looks after itself, feeds itself totally free, and survives without any help again.

It makes you wonder really :mrgreen:

godzilla
    Free Member
    sobriety
    Free Member

Pygmy goats are cool. I have no idea about keeping them though.

Bunnyhop

Owls are imprint birds. So the first thing they see when hatched out that feeds them is ‘mummy’.

Our pub landlord has an imprint duck. Poor thing has has claws (webbed feet disappeared as it no longer swims/paddles), waddles around in a small cage, tiny pond and takes a lot of looking after.

Small goats need injections, regular hoof/nail clippings and don’t always eat everything.

Edit – just remembered the ‘KuneKune’ breed of pig is ideal as a pet, miniture pig, however they can grow to quite a large size, very cute though!

Not sure about pigs, but if my memory serves me well these are the easiest to look after.

Please realise most goats and pig prefer company, so maybe get a couple at least in the pen/field.

Cougar

I’d love to help but I’m struggling to follow a thought process that goes “you know, I think I’d like either an owl or a pig.” It must be difficult to choose between such terribly similar creatures.

Help me choose, I’m thinking of buying either a sherry trifle or a piano.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Neither of these make great pets, although the piano would be quite low maintenance – only needing tuning, probably, once a year.

The trifle, on the other hand, much like an owl, has specific needs (such as a fridge), which can be expensive.

nicko74

Pigs are regulated by DEFRA due to foot in mouth. You have to have papers, IIRC, and let them know if you move it. Not sure about goats, but they may be subject to similar things.

IanMunro
    Free Member

How about a rescue Tamagotchi? There must be loads of them out there abandoned in need of a loving home.

CountZero

An owl as a pet? You are out of your tiny little mind! Do not even consider it. I love raptors, but I consider a dog or a cat as too much trouble, the amount of time that an owl or other raptor requires makes it utterly out of the question, and very cruel to the poor bird if you get bored.

mogrim

I’d go with the trifle, but then I can’t play the piano.

OP: there’s a reason most people have dogs and cats as pets, and not owls/pigs/komodo dragons.

honeybadgerx

I’d go with the trifle, but then I can’t play the piano.

You can play a trifle? Respect 🙂

Bunnyhop

A trifle is for Christmas, not just for life 😀

mogrim

You can play a trifle? Respect

You hum it, I’ll play it.

Cougar

Apparently it’s illegal to play trifle. Kid round here got arrested for busking and taken into custardy.

They later found him dead in his cell covered in hundreds & thousands. Police reckon he’d topped himself.

Dancake
    Free Member

I can play the Komodo Dragon, but I couln’t eat a whole piano

nicko74

I love raptors

I dunno, have you not seen Jurassic Park? They start out cute…

jesterthefirst
    Free Member

If you are keeping pigs, goats, sheep, deer (ie cloven – hooved animals) you will need a holding number from Defra, movement orders when you are buying and selling and lots of regulations to follow. You will also be subject to inspections from Defra on an adhoc basis to make sure you are following the regulations, keeping up to date records etc.

honeybadgerx

Apparently it’s illegal to play trifle. Kid round here got arrested for busking and taken into custardy.

They later found him dead in his cell covered in hundreds & thousands. Police reckon he’d topped himself.

I pity the fool.

mogrim

I pity the fool.

He did it last sundae, and he made a right mess of the cell.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘how to get a pet owl or Pig or possibly a small goat’ is closed to new replies.