Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How to get a better stumpy shock
  • bounce

Looking to find a better shock to replace the wheezing triad on my 2011 stumpy, but grappling with the issue of that strange yoke it needs bolted onto the end.

From the old threads I’ve found, options seem to be paying lots to Spesh for a new rp23 or swapping the body tube with a standard rp23.

Any suggestions for effective upgrades very welcome!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Try Mojo or TF to see what they can do for you

robhughes
    Free Member

Wasn’t someone off here making the adapter for just this purpose.
    Forget who it was now.

rene59
    Free Member

I read somewhere that Rockshox are releasing aftermarket monarch shocks to fit Stumpjumpers and Enduros in June I think.

Worth having a google search.

windydave13
    Free Member

Have a gander on ebay. Theres a Fox float and a CCDB with the specialized special “end” on there at the moment.
    They’re off enduro’s but if the stumpjumper is the same i2i and stroke you’re on to a winner

bounce

Thanks all, much appreciated. Dave, am browsing ebay tho not found those shocks as yet. Does seem to be a Monarch rc3 option but maybe not in uk so far as rene said, will give the suspension shops a bell tomorrow. Re that special adaptor, saw that in an old thread that someone had drawn up a 3d model to make one from,might be worth chasing him up.

trusty

I think the shock on the enduro and stumpjumper are different sizes. I’m considering getting the basic shock on my stumpy evo pushed by tf tuned as it’ll be much simpler than replacing it

MrNice
    Free Member

Wasn’t someone off here making the adapter for just this purpose.
    Forget who it was now.

it was porter_jamie on the “things I made recently” thread but when I asked him (posted on here, direct email) I got no replies so I assume he didn’t go through with it and for some reason didn’t want to talk about it either

MrNice
    Free Member

I looked into all this a bit ago. Basically, you’re locked into the original shock. Specialized have chosen to use a non-standard shock and then don’t sell upgrades. Occasionally you hear stories of them being persuaded to sell a replacement but it seems to be the exception. It’s not even as if it’s the same non-standard on different models (enduro & stumpy). Various people have done complicated things to replace them (google will find you some threads on mtbr) but it all looks far more expensive and difficult than it should be.

Any chance that a major service from one of the shock fettling companies will fix it? Anything else is likely to be big bucks.

andyrm
    Free Member

Specialized partnership with Ohlins will see some serious upgrade options available very soon.

Seen pics online of a Stumpy (in Italy I think) with the trademark yellow coil setup. Imagine that they’ll be available in the UK very soon.

sssimon
    Free Member

I did similar on mine, second hand rp2 off here for £40, sent it to mojo for a service and a air shaft swap. cost about £100 for the service and parts, bike was 10 times better than with the brain that was on it before

[url=https://flic.kr/p/muqS2T]20140327_145703[/url] by simon gardiner, on Flickr

Speshpaul

Give Jtech a call, if your shalf (!) is in good shape you can have a better shock built around it. I know he had some very nice Fox’s that were either taken off new bikes or very lightly used.

PJM1974
    Free Member

There’s a 2013 Stumpy for sale in the classifieds with a Monarch shock fitted.

From what I’ve read, Rockshox are going to produce a Monarch with the correct eye to eye, travel and shaft fitting for the Stumpjumper/Enduro?

benpinnick

You can source M+s in Spec. fits for 2012 onwards which might be the same if that helps you at all.

bounce

Those shocks that Dave listed on eBay look great but seem wrong length – 216×63.5mm is enduro rather than SJ I think. Haven’t measured mine as yet but old STW thread lists 2011 SJ Triad as 200 x 50mm.

Re what trusty said about tuning the Triad itself, read that its valving is so crude that it’s not worth it?

So looks like – buy an RP23 and get it turned into a compatible one by Mojo for £100 – sounds worthwhile, maybe get it tuned at the same time.

Final option is a newer shock off a 2013 or 2014 SJ, but are these compatible in stroke and e-e length?

Didn’t want to do any work today anyway!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I looked into all this a bit ago. Basically, you’re locked into the original shock. Specialized have chosen to use a non-standard shock and then don’t sell upgrades. Occasionally you hear stories of them being persuaded to sell a replacement but it seems to be the exception. It’s not even as if it’s the same non-standard on different models (enduro & stumpy). Various people have done complicated things to replace them (google will find you some threads on mtbr) but it all looks far more expensive and difficult than it should be.

Not really complicated. Call Mojo, ask them to put a Specialized clevis mount shaft on a shock of your choice, or buy one of a few different RS or CC shocks that come with the mount as standard.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How to get a better stumpy shock’ is closed to new replies.