Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How to fit chicken levers ?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My Boardman CX came with chicken levers. The previous owner took them off, but now I want to put them back on.

Is it just a case of unscrewing those barrel things, and re threading the cable through the chicken lever?

Are there any guides anywhere ?

Ta

joshvegas
    Free Member

Are you absolutely sure you want them?

I’ve always found a them a pain in the arse.

You’ll need to temove the barrel adjusters and place the outers into the holes then rethread the inner through.

Easy.

midlifecrashes

Looks like they’ve just put those extra barrel adjusters where the levers where, as you say. I’d unwrap the first inch or two of tape anyway so you can wrap up close to the lever clamp when you do it, and get the end of the first run of outer to go in without kinks. My levers have a built in barrel adjuster which makes things neater all round.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The levers do have barrel adjusters.

Will give it a go later.

It’s purely for doing 3 Peaks Cyclocross where my hands will be glad of the change in position.

Besides if Robb Jebb thinks they work then hopefully they will work for me too

dovebiker

They’re horrible and too close to the stem to give you any real control on the steep and bouncy bits where you’d need them. If anything, a wider and shallower bar would be more beneficial.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

All on, very easy. Will give them a go tomorrow

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Been using them a bit this last week. Certainly more power with disc brakes.

At first it took some adjusting to as using them shifts your weight further forward than on the drops. I’ve been using them on hills with about 16% gradient and it’s been much better on the arms and just as much control. Mine actually allow me to hold the bars at full width

The only point you loose control is if you are having to steer sharply and then the drops are better.

winterhasarrived
    Free Member

Will they not foul on your garmin mount? Mind do a little bit.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Nope not at all

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How to fit chicken levers ?’ is closed to new replies.