Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • How to connect tv to router
  • project
    Free Member

Hvae pluged one end of cable into rear of router and other end into socket on back of tv not a hdmi socket but the only one that takes the plug.

Gone to settings on tv and it says wired or wireless clicked wired .

Then nothing.

What am i missing out, usually a ta with a hammer sorts most things in the day job, cant see anything to hit in this instance.

Cougar

Then nothing.

Define “nothing.” What are you expecting? I plug network cables into things all the time and nothing immediately happens.

Is it a known good cable?

fossy

You’ve used a network cable then – CAT5/6 ?

You don’t need to do anything else, just press your SMART button to get iplayer/netflix etc and log in there.

That’s it. With WIFI (if a newish TV it will have it) you just search for your router and type in the password. With networks, nothing – just plug in the cable.

If iplayer won’t work, then check your router’s settings from a computer and check the firewall hasn’t blocked the TV and is showing as connected.

Drac

Is it 4K cable?

fossy

Just check you’ve plugged into the network sockets. Also check on the router you’ve plugged into Port 1-4 (or what ever it has) as there is usually one socket coloured differently for cable etc.

imnotverygood

Have you tried shouting at it?
    Otherwise I can’t help.

gobuchul
    Free Member

If you try to connect BBC iPlayer or similar and there is no internet connection, most TV’s will take you to a “test connection” page.

This might help you find out what’s wrong.

Also, check you have plugged into the correct connection on the router, BT and Plusnet routers have red sockets on the back, the same size as an ethernet connector but you need the yellow ones.

tmb467
    Free Member

Is the router port flashing where the cable from the TV goes in?

If you go onto the admin page on the router can you see the TV

Is there a network connection test on the TV?

cb

Now now Drac…the 4k thing was a fair question…

Drac

True.

Is it gold plated?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

If you use that hammer and give it a fairly solid tap in the middle of the front of the telly, something will happen.

Disclaimer – You won’t necessarily like what happens, so only complete this action as the absolute last resort…

Cougar

Also, check you have plugged into the correct connection on the router, BT and Plusnet routers have red sockets on the back, the same size as an ethernet connector but you need the yellow ones.

What are the red ones for?

fossy

The red ones sometimes go to a cable box, or an openreach box. Our red socket hasn’t been needed as the fibre connected via the phone line.

tmb467
    Free Member

If you’ve not got the infinity hub then it allows the infinity modem to be plugged in to the older hubs (I think)

cyclistm
    Free Member

I had this on a Panasonic tv. It was the cable. Try another one.

fossy

The OP is too busy watching box sets on Netflix now to reply 😆

project
    Free Member

yellow cable connected to back of router in yellow socket, and other end conected to tv into an un named slot next to 2 slots that say hdmi, presing hdmi as source on remote control shows no signal, but accessing other channels on tv does show the programes, but not the internet, like the fire stick does on spare tv.

4 k tv, thats a lot to pay for a tv,

Drac

4 k tv, thats a lot to pay for a tv,

Depends on the model.

Try another cable. Also give us a clue of thre model so we can help.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Directional?

codybrennan
    Free Member

yellow cable connected to back of router in yellow socket, and other end conected to tv into an un named slot

Have a look at the lights on the router. When you plug this cable in, if its working correctly a corresponding light will probably light up on the router, telling you that you’ve made a connection. Try plugging it in, unplugging it again, see if it does this.

Do you see that?

Also, as Drac says- what’s the f’in make and model??

project
    Free Member

talk talk router toshiba something tv. un marked square shaped socket that lights up when cable put in,green light on rear of tv,cable that fits router is same both ends, wont fit into hdi socket , 2 x hdmi sockets, a scart socket, aerial socket, and 2 usb sockets.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Telly socket- does it look a bit like this?

codybrennan
    Free Member

project – Member
    talk talk router toshiba something tv. un marked square shaped socket that lights up when cable put in,green light on rear of tv,cable that fits router is same both ends,

Ignore my big ethernet pic- you’re connected ok.

Now we want to see if its picked up an IP address.

Can you get a model number from the back of it??

project
    Free Member

yep looks like that clip art picture

squirrelking
    Free Member

Jesus, now I know how the Know How squad get kept in a job…

Have you read the manual?

Also, need a bit more than a Toshiba, model number would help, usually written in the back or somewhere in the settings menu. That’s like answering with a colour when asked what car you drive, could be anything.

project
    Free Member

model number 40L 165 3 DB The manual just consists of a few pages about the remote control and little else.

Mechanical stuff is better you can see it doing or not doing stuff, electronic stuff it either doesnt or does and havent a clue how it does or doesnt.

To me its just a tv, where as a car is a heap of metalic parts and plastics assemebled to form a means of transport, with various parts moving or doing uniform motions, to help with the propulsion of the vehicle, usually most of the above can be identified as moving, or doing some sort of action.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Slim chance the cable might be a crossover whereas you’ll need a standard straight through cable. Or vice versa if the router is strange but unlikely.

Anyway, somewhere in the TV settings should be one that tells you the IP address and maybe some nice status saying it’s connected. The bit when you selected wired possibly.

It’s all short term though as the smart TV stuff in that model will be out of date and discontinued in a few years, then you end up buying a Fire TV stick or similar.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Its 2017. Anyway: go back into the menu you were in before, and select ‘network connection test’. What does that say?

Alternatively, just go into the ‘media’ bit; its the button between ‘quick’ and ‘guide’. See if there’s an iPlayer app or similar.

newrobdob
    Free Member

For crying out loud, if you can post in a forum you can sort this out. I despair at some people’s ineptitude nowadays. Same with the bloke with the curtain pole.
    How do you even manage to get out of bed?

Drac

Are you new here?

project
    Free Member

newrobdob – Member
    For crying out loud, if you can post in a forum you can sort this out. I despair at some people’s ineptitude nowadays. Same with the bloke with the curtain pole.

While most of are well educated in our chosen careers, and work on some quite expensive machinery or computers,every so often a problem arises that we cant find the answer to, while to others its a basic fact of life, thats why we sometimes ask basic questions.

Now must carry on with the research into mini thermo nuclear reactors, and their effects on large scale generator stations when they start to go live in the next 10 years.

scaredypants

named slot next to 2 slots that say hdmi, presing hdmi as source on remote control shows no signal

HDMI is a totally different connector type – you don’t want to select those inputs if there’s nothing connected

The network connection is likely to be “selected” by the telly when you choose a relevant option using the handset

nickdavies

To me its just a tv

I think that’s your problem. Why are you trying to connect an Ethernet cable to it.. that tv doesn’t seem to be a smart one? Mines got an Ethernet cable but it’s not actually any use… think it’s just for firmware etc.

codybrennan
    Free Member

nickdavies – Member
    To me its just a tv
    I think that’s your problem. Why are you trying to connect an Ethernet cable to it.. that tv doesn’t seem to be a smart one? Mines got an Ethernet cable but it’s not actually any use… think it’s just for firmware etc.

Oh FFS. Nick is right….this isn’t even a smart TV-

https://www.tesco.com/direct/toshiba-40l1653db-40-inchfull-hd-1080p-led-tv-with-freeview-hd/464-5167.prd?source=others

bigblackshed

project – Member

newrobdob – Member

While most of are well educated in our chosen careers, and work on some quite expensive machinery or computers,every so often a problem arises that we cant find the answer to, while to others its a basic fact of life, thats why we sometimes ask basic questions.

Now must carry on with the research into mini thermo nuclear reactors, and their effects on large scale generator stations when they start to go live in the next 10 years.[/quote]

But can you put your socks on in the morning?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

this isn’t even a smart TV-

Hahahaha, nice one, project 😀

gobuchul
    Free Member

Now must carry on with the research into mini thermo nuclear reactors, and their effects on large scale generator stations when they start to go live in the next 10 years.

I hope you read their basic spec before you do! 😀

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘How to connect tv to router’ is closed to new replies.