Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • How to check your credit rating? Has anyone on here done it?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

Thinking about taking out a loan later in the year and I’m a bit curious to know what our credit rating is? Is it a case of paying a one-off fee to Experian, or is it more complicated than that? Has anyone done it and had a pleasant/not so pleasant surprise?

wiggles
    Free Member

Did the credit expert one, just ring to cancel before the free trial runs out.

Mine was pointless. Nothing useful just pay off more debt for a better score…

maccruiskeen

They’re of uncertain value – the people who provide loans aren’t very open about how they assess your credit-able-ness from the info on your credit report – so although you have the info, what it actually means is anyones guess, as if you’re denied credit lenders don’t generally give a reason why.

The only thing they are useful is making sure that info is factually correct – that all the info actually does pertain to you and hasn’t been jumbled with someone else’s history and that current and previous address info is consistent.

I’ve lived in quite a few addresses where the address can be stated various ways – a flat that was called ‘Flat 3’ by some utilities, ‘Ground Left’ by others, and just “0/3” by the council tax. Or a house that was both XXXX Cottage and XXXX Farm Cottage- it meant when I was giving a history of addresses it maybe wouldn’t tally with the credit history so I had to get the report altered so they were all stated the same way and make sure I then did the same on any applications.

So if you expect there would be those sorts of errors, perhaps because you’ve moved house a lot, or still get lots of mail from previous occupants of the house your in (and therefore possible inadvertently mixed up with them) then its worthwhile.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Noddle do a free report.

Other than that sign up for the free trials at experian/credit expert and then cancel. Very easy to do. Can even get cashback through topcashback.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Have done experian and another one, the free trials for a month. You have to pay a fiver to get the full report. That’s useful to make sure your details are correct. It highlighted that we were still registered at our previous address and our current address. Also some of my debts were still outstanding, which they weren’t. So I was able to rectify several errors.
    Worth it for the free trial and the full report. Not worth keeping it after though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How to check your credit rating? Has anyone on here done it?’ is closed to new replies.