Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How to adjust bearings on SPD pedals?
  • perthmtb
    Free Member

Got a bit of play in one of my Shimano M520 pedals, so assume I need to get inside them and adjust. But how? Looks like I need a special tool just to get to the bearings – any suggestions…

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

M520s are not supposed to be maintainable, but more significantly, they’re usually to be found at about £20 a pair anyway inc cleats, so why bother?
    Your cleats will probably be worn out too if the bearings have had it.
    Disposable item IMHO.

julianwilson
    Free Member

520’s are maintainable if you have a supply of those teeny tiny bearings, and the time and inclination to do it. I have found a clean and regrease significantly improved performance and life on 515’s and 520’s without bothering finding and replacing bearings, grease had gone dry and brown inside. Depends how much £20 for a new set is worth to you i suppose.
    This is the tool to take up slack in bearings on 520’s, only 2 or 3 quid in most places.

Although you could probably bodge it by mashing some molegrips onto the spliney/toothy plastic collar instead.

Dibbs
    Free Member

That’s the tool to take the axle out, this is the tool to adjust the bearings, (it costs more the a set of 520’s).

Eek!! even more than I thought.

£53 on CRC!!!!!

Dibbs
    Free Member
    simon1975

M540’s just need spanners. 17, 8 and 6 IIRC… Much easier, but that’s no help to the OP.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Yeah I know its pretty cheap to just replace them, and in fact I’ve got a new set waiting in the spares box, but…

They’ve only done 800kms, and I’m hoping its just a loose locknut rather than bearing wear – I do tend to bash them on rocks quite often! So I’d like to give it a go – even if its just on principle!

So, will invest in the ‘couple of quid’ axle removal tool, and will have a go with assorted spanners & pliers when I see what’s under there rather than get the 53 quid bearing adjustment tool – cripes!

Thanks for the help guys…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Mate of mine had some 520s on his road bike. The locking nut had worked loose, so the bearing tension was wrong. Quick fiddle with a 6 & 8mm spanner soon sorted him out.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Thanks bigyinn, that sounds promising! In fact I had a look at the exploded view of the M520 in the Shimano tech docs a few minutes ago, and it doesn’t look like they have the recessed locknut that requires the ridiculously expensive shimano tool – so hopefully once I’m in there, a quick tighten with a cone spanner will do it…

nuke

Serviced my 520s several times and only ever needed the plastic tool thing. It’s easy enough…just need a bit of time. Superb VFM pedals that just keep going and going.

andyl
    Free Member

I am sure the expensive special tool is for the older type with the removable cap on the outside – eg 505 and the large plastic/aluminium cage (454?) etc. I believe the special tool above is for the more recent M520 and M530 (trail type) pedals.

On the more snazzy M540 up they have a more slender axle with a lock nut and no spanner flats which seems to account for the minor weight loss and they look better. It’s not until you get to the higher end ones you get thinner platforms and flourine coatings (eg new XTR trail).

perthmtb
    Free Member

Great – have ordered the PD40 plasticky axle removal tool from LBS, they say about a week, and then I’ll be able to operate on my loose pedal…

bigyinn
    Free Member

The Special tool has been required since the very first M735(?) SPDs were released. Its only the M540s and above that it hasn’t been needed.

andyl
    Free Member
    perthmtb
    Free Member

For those kind enough to give me advice a week ago, I thought I’d post a quick update…

Little Shimano plasticky axle removal tool (as pictured above by Julain Wilson) arrived at LBS today, right on time, and was mine for the princely sum of three quid.

Took the pedal apart, tightened up the cone on the bearings a little, added a bit of locktite blue to the locknut to stop it losening again, and re-assembled. Took about half an hour all up, and cost three quid!

So, I’d say M520 pedals are definitely serviceable, and the essential tools required are:-
    15mm pedal spanner
    Shimano TL-PD40 axle removal tool
    10mm and 7mm spanners (for cone and locknut respectively)
    A bit of grease, and a dab of loctite blue

Note, you don’t need the expensive bearing adjustment tool (as pictured above by Dibbs), at least not for the M520s.

I also have to say that having seen the engineering, number of components, and obvious thought that’s gone into the internals of a relatively cheap pedal, I have a new respect for the guys at Shimano, and the price they sell them for!

So, what are you waiting for guys – rainy weekend – get servicing those pedals….

bigyinn
    Free Member

Before you put the axle back into the body, 1/2 fill the body with grease, then when you put the axle back in and tighten the locking collar up, it forces all the old cruddy grease out.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Good advice bigyin, but alas, too late for me – pedal already back on the bike. But I did wipe off all old grease and liberally applied new stuff before re-assembling…

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Thanks for the pointer Perthmtb.
    Think I’ll get one of those tools and give it a go.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How to adjust bearings on SPD pedals?’ is closed to new replies.