Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How to add to an existing fitted kitchen
  • tron
    Free Member

I’ve got a fairly recently fitted kitchen in my house, but the layout isn’t great. I’ve no clue where it’s from, as a previous owner had it fitted and I doubt they’d be receptive to a phone call asking where it came from. I’d like to change the work top, move the sink, add an extra cabinet and a corner carousel.

I don’t want to go to the expense of a whole new kitchen as the lot will eventually be ripped out to put an extension in, but I want to make it more useful than it is.

Are carcasses standard enough sizes that I can just buy more carcasses and a carousel from whichever supplier is cheap and add bits on? Or do I need to get exact like for likes?

Has anyone got any idea who might have supplied them from the description below, that would be very handy:
    Drawers – metal drawer boxes, DTC nylon roller runners with add on DTC soft close mechanisms
    Hinges are FGV, doors all have the Blum cast soft close bumpers.
    Doors are 18mm with a small radius to the edges, vac formed gloss PVC foil.
    Carcasses are white foil on 15mm chipboard, held together with pozi head confirmat screws. The carcasses with exposed sides are foiled to match the doors, with plastic screw head covers. 😆
    Worktop is straight forward 40mm laminate, no makers marks printed on the bits of the underside I can see.

br
    Free Member

Measure the carcess thickness and google from there.

If you’re going to rip it out anyway, just buy from B&Q/IKEA etc in a near/matching colour.

tron
    Free Member

The “eventually” could well be 5 years away, so I’d like to get cabinet doors that match.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Sounds like a Howdens or similar from the draws and carcass design.
    They come ready built like that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A decent kitchen fitter will be able to source units and do all that in jig time.

nickjb
    Free Member

Heights do vary a bit even from the same supplier. Should be able to get something close enough and minor differences will be hidden by the door. Obviously you’ll need a pretty good match for the door. Carousel should be easy. They are usually adjustable height even if its way out you’ll get it to fit with a new screw hole or a couple of packing pieces as long as the diameter is right.

It is handy if you know where it is from. Our old one from Ikea and it was a piece of cake to buy extra bits for it. Ikea stuff tends to be pretty heavily branded on the moulded bits so probably not that. I’d hunt a bit more for a label of somekind

tron
    Free Member

It looks pretty like the Orlando kitchen from Wickes, but their blurb says it’s cam and dowel construction, whilst mine is held together entirely by Confirmat screws with no cams in sight.

eckinspain
    Free Member

When you say the previous owners would not be receptive to a call…is there a particular reason? If I sold a house and the new owners asked where I bought the kitchen I wouldn’t have an issue telling them.

tron
    Free Member

The circumstances that led to the house being sold weren’t ideal. And no, that doesn’t mean there’s a freshly laid patio too 😀

eckinspain
    Free Member

ok!
    Ikea carcasses have their name all over them I think.
    Send us a photo and we’ll all have a look for you!

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Orlando kitchen from Wickes

Try Benchmarx, both owned by Travis Perkins but come ready assembled.

thehustler
    Free Member

One thing for sure its not a howdens ‘built’ carcass as they are 18mm,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How to add to an existing fitted kitchen’ is closed to new replies.