Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • how to add 6cm to stack height? – new forks or another way??
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

I need to add about 6cm to the height of the front end of my wifes bike.
    It already has a high rise stem – 70mm 36 deg which gives about 5cm rise, and 2 inch rise bars, however it seems the front end is still too low and I need to raise it by a further 6cm.
    The forks are 80mm travel so quite short and they have a short steerer too.

The obvious way is to get new longer forks but I only have a limited budget of about 50quid.

any other ideas??

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Rigid 29er forks?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Why does it need to go so high?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

higher rise bars would help, i.e. 3 inch rise ones but still why so high?

chriswilk
    Free Member

I put my forks on which are longer with a long steerer and played with positions. That is the one that felt best for her.
    The bike is old skool so has a low front end and short forks.

If I put 100mm forks on the problem would instantly be solved, I'm just not sure I can get a half decent for for 50 quid.

clubby

100 mm forks would solve the problem, but the bike will also handle like s***. On a positive note, an longer adjustable stem would be able to be angled upwards to give the same reach but with more height. Again though, it would probably affect handling and not in a good way.
    No easy way around this one. Maybe search local paper for a cheap bike in the right size and swap out components from your old ride?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Why would adding 20mm (before sag) of travel add 60mm to the bar height?

bobster
    Free Member

Why would adding 20mm (before sag) of travel add 60mm to the bar height?

My thoughts exactly.

chriswilk
    Free Member

the forks I tried are 100mm forks and the Axle to crown length is 6cm more excluding sag, but there is some sag on both forks.
    The current 80mm forks are manitou spyder and are just really short in general.

Also new forks would have a longer steerer so I could add another spacer or two.

Clubby – why do you say that adding a longer fork will make the handling terrible??
    My old Zaskar supposedly was for 80mm forks max. When I changed them for 110mm the handling wsa MUCH better….

I'm resistant to getting a new frame as it's a really nice chunky Al frame that is like new.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Some old but good 80mm forks from eBay with a long steerer?

muffin_the_mule
    Free Member

Forget raising the bars think outside the box. Drop the rear! Whack a BMX wheel on the back, run it singlespeed, call it a 60er(TM) and before you know it everyone will be lusting after a Ti version.

Sorry!

clubby

Chris, just my own experience. Put longer forks on my old inbred and it ruined it. Changed back after one ride.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘how to add 6cm to stack height? – new forks or another way??’ is closed to new replies.