Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How selfish/greedy can people be
  • TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Just read that developers are objecting to a heli pad being built for the Air Ambulance at the hospital because of the noise factor

It has to land a bit away from the hospital now and the patients have to finish their journey by ambulance, that time could make all the difference

To be honest I am sickened by their attitude and what a sad indictment of the world we live in when selling houses is worth more than peoples lives

allthepies
    Free Member

Imagine pretty greedy.

Much, much worse than that.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I guess it depends on the details really.
    If the proposed pad was specified a few feet away from houses. And you personally stood to loose say your lifetime’s investment and go bankrupt, you might say something.
    But I know nothing of the specifics.

philconsequence
    Free Member

again… not knowing the specifics its hard to comment… but if someones living that close to a hospital wouldnt they be used to sirens coming and going all day and night anyway?!

iDave
    Free Member

I used to live near the landing spot at Harrogate Hospital. Always found hearing the helicopter quite chilling. Never thought of it as a nuisance. Some people are quite retarded and perhaps lead lives devoid of anything edifying, so moaning gives them some glimpse of a point to being alive?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

philconsequence – Member
    again… not knowing the specifics its hard to comment… but if someones living that close to a hospital wouldnt they be used to sirens coming and going all day and night anyway?!

Yes. I live less than a mile away from the local district general, and you’re right, sometimes it can be constant sirens – a noise which can be slightly disturbing when you consider some other poor buggers misfortune, but equally can be comforting at times knowing that the ambulance service is there doing a superb job. I’m willing to bet a developer building so close to a hospital has already considered the static population of NHS employees who may choose to consider living within easy reach of work.

Start a counter campaign to get the helipad built, take it more regional than local. The locals will get minimal support from a small number of people, but imagine a regional campaign starting with the headline “Local residents object to proposed air ambulance landing pad” and I’d imagine that the greater population, including those already having received care from the AA, will support it.

[edit] Just realised that it is developers objecting, still not sympathetic, they can just reduce their profit margin and have to tell the truth to prospective buyers about the helipad. How many times in a week is it expected to be used?[/edit]

alexxx
    Free Member

**** Whirly Birds 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

edit] Just realised that it is developers objecting, still not sympathetic, they can just reduce their profit margin

Yes, no problem with the redundancies or worse that could follow…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

C’mon, they do have a point. Who would want helicopters landing right next to their houses? I mean, they could have chickens and the noise could cause chicken heart attacks. And then where would they be? They would have to go to the shops for eggs AND have chicken for tea even though they had already got a frozen casserole out of the freezer that morning.

meehaja
    Free Member

Yorkshire Air Ambulance lands at LGI (regional centre for head injuries/ spinal injuries and cardiac emergencies) maybe twice a week. Police helicopter is (it seems) above my house all night every night shining its searchlight in my skylights. Lets see them try to stop the police.

aP
    Free Member

Maybe the developers have just paid for the new hospital and need to get the maximum amount out of the resi in order to walk away with something?

s
    Free Member

Its not a problem & as for sirens, we only hear the odd one if traffic is built up, most of the time they have them switched off.

I live next to a heli pad at our local hospital, we have maybe 2 helicopters fly low directly over our home a week if that!

They only seem to fly low over our place,if they need to, for a reason and I guess that reason is to save time/lives, so that’s fine with us.

Mostly at the weekend too, picking up born again bikers 😉

Our kids find it a buz racing out to the garden to feel the down draft & wave at the pilots, who wave back most times.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh, and by the way – my brother lives near Truro hospital and recently lost a chicken to low flying helicopters (noise, not decapitation).

It was quite hard for me to stifle the laugh.

Hohum
    Free Member

s – Member
    Our kids find it a buz racing out to the garden to feel the down draft & wave at the pilots, who wave back most times.

That thought has just brought a nice, happy smile to my face 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Once I ate a whole 200g bar of dairy milk in front of my brother, didn’t even give him a single square.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

This is Addenbrooke’s, not exactly a new hospital
    See here for the full story Air Ambulance

rOcKeTdOg

it’s quite loud when an army helicopter lands at work, the air ambulance ones are puny in comparison, but out pad is well away from houses

Pook

Get on to that Richard Hammond. I’m sure he’d put in a supporting quote. That’d get you in the papers.

organic355
    Free Member

Ive got a helipad behind my garden as I back onto hospital grounds, doesnt bother me one bit and was not even a factor when I bought the house 2 years ago.

Its actually pretty cool when on the rare occasion (once every 2 or 3 months) you do get a low flying chopper swooping overhead.

CaptJon
    Free Member

meehaja – Member
    Yorkshire Air Ambulance lands at LGI (regional centre for head injuries/ spinal injuries and cardiac emergencies) maybe twice a week. Police helicopter is (it seems) above my house all night every night shining its searchlight in my skylights. Lets see them try to stop the police.

Maybe you should take the hint and stop brewing crystal meth i your attic.

meehaja
    Free Member

Who’s the developer? Local papers love sweeping headlines like “DaveSmith developments want emergency patients to die” Or better yet, I believe some soldiers have been treated at Addenbrooks, “DaveSmith Developments blocks our boys surgery!” The sun would love that…

molgrips
    Free Member

We have police choppers flying over our house fairly often. Sometimes fairly low in the middle of the night, enough to wake us up. When this happens, I think ‘great, hope you catch the buggers’.

binners

I think Alan has solved the potential chicken problem Mastiles……

“You are a big posh sod with plums in your mouth, and the plums have mutated and they have got beaks. You make pigs smoke. You feed beef burgers to swans. You have big sheds, but nobody’s allowed in. And in these sheds you have 20ft high chickens, and these chickens are scared because the don’t know why they’re so big, and they’re going, “Oh why am I so massive?” and they’re looking down at all the little chickens and they think they’re in an aeroplane because all the other chickens are so small. Do you deny that? No, I think his silence speaks volumes.”

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and there’s a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plough the family into the field, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who’s also your brother

avdave2

If you took all the money spent on Air Ambulances and put it all into preventative medicine would you save more or less lives?

Stoner
    Free Member

I thought air ambulance were more likely to be used for accidents and emergencies – ie. areas where preventative medicine would have virtually no impact.

philconsequence
    Free Member

air ambulances get used quite a bit at swinley…. for this reason, i’m going to invest.

alan partridge is correct of course. now where’s my spinal chord in a bap?

jon1973
    Free Member

If you took all the money spent on Air Ambulances and put it all into preventative medicine would you save more or less lives?

So what preventative medicine would you prescribe for an RTA for example? or someone who has had a climbing accident?

I think in the grand scheme of things, Air Ambulances don’t cost that much.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Morphine for all?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How selfish/greedy can people be’ is closed to new replies.