• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How secure are my apple devices?
  • zippykona

Every day I get an alert saying that someone is trying to sign in using my account in Manchester.
    I don’t allow it ,then it says do I want to change my password.?
    I changed it first time and it’s a pain in the arse . 9 devices and they all need a code that is text to me for every device.
    Can I get apple to kill the person in Manchester or if I change the email account used for my Apple ID will that make the problem go away?
    We have made the first step in getting rid of apple by getting a chrome book but we still do a lot of banking on the Mac book. Should we just stick to using the chrome book now?
    Edit. Every time I try to log in on the iPhone 4 we use as an iPod the Manchester alert comes up on all the other devices. Could the location service be wrong?

Jamie
    Free Member

if I change the email account used for my Apple ID will that make the problem go away?

I would say yes. Seems like someone has a similar email address to you.

Also, turn on 2-step authentication.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204915

GrahamS

It may well be nothing – the location stated is determined by IP address and it is often completely wrong as it often reflects the ISP location rather than the device itself. So it’s quite possible it was just someone in your family signing in on one of your other 8 devices.

If you have texts then it sounds like you have two-factor security enabled so you’re pretty safe.

Should we just stick to using the chrome book now?

I’d doubt that is any more secure.

CountZero

I’ve had something similar but from Middlesbrough, not sure why, and it’s been a pain as well, but as far as I know the devices themselves are secure, provided you use 2-factor security.
    The odd thing is that if I sign in on my own device, that device is allegedly in Middlesbrough!
    Go, as they say, figure.

Cougar

Is one of your devices not logging in properly? Could be that the person in Manchester is you.

jam-bo

My iMessage account got compromised by reusing an old password. I think the last.fm hack was the source.

106 text messages sent to Chinese mobile numbers in the 6 minutes it took me to lock them out. O2 refunded all the charge.

So, yeah. Turn on 2-factor authentication.

connect2

Where are you though? Whenever I do something with mine it says the sign in is near London – I’m just north of Aberdeen……….

mattyfez

My work internet shows up as London, I don’t live in London, far from, so whenever I sign into gmail, I get an email, someone in london has signed in. I.e. me.

disconcerting maybe but not too difficult to verify. Signing in via your frends wifi might yield similar random results, their IP might be Manchester and they live in Leeds.

zippykona

I’m in Surrey.

robvalentine

it’s to do with your ISP Location, when ever I relog into twitter it says I am in stockport, even though I’m in london…

zippykona

We are with virgin at home and in the shop 3 miles away.
    If I turn off the wifi on the phone I guess the problem would stop.

GrahamS

If I turn off the wifi on the phone I guess the problem would stop.

There should be no need to do that. You don’t (shouldn’t) get the message every time one of your devices uses a new wifi point.

zippykona

I believe the shop iPhone is the culprit. It’s on a never ending cycle of wanting my password and every time I put the password in the Manchester alert comes up on the other devices.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Backup and restore

GrahamS

I believe the shop iPhone is the culprit. It’s on a never ending cycle of wanting my password and every time I put the password in the Manchester alert comes up on the other devices.

Okay that sounds like the issue all right. So why does it keep asking for your password? i.e. what does it need it for?

(You may find it is only in a “never ending cycle” because you kept saying No to that pop up on your other devices!)

zippykona

My wife’s iPad also has the never ending cycle of wanting to sign in.
    As I’m refusing permission for the Manchester(?) sign in I’m assuming I’m not allowing my devices to sign in.
    I’m reluctant to allow the Manchester sign in. All the devices are where they should be according to find my iPhone.
    Any clever ideas?
    Edit I guess that is the point the man above is saying.

GrahamS

Yeah basically you can ignore the reported location because it is bollocks.

(It’s location guessed from IP address, not the GPS location of the device)

So you are denying sign on permission to your own devices – which is why they keep trying to sign on.

Once you allow each of them it should all be good.

jonnyboi

As above, if you do a full reset on your own device you’ll get an alert when you try to sign back into it.

When I upgraded to the IP7 I think my sign in alert said I was in slough. The shame

Browse to this and see where it thinks you are

https://www.iplocation.net

Drac

Yup it’s you or at least your own devices. Mine to occasionally do it if I’ve changed some details, usually saying I’m in London (as if) just based on the IP.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How secure are my apple devices?’ is closed to new replies.