Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How rough and bumpy is an xc race course?
  • breninbeener

I have been thinking of having a go at some xc races and maybe the longer marathon type events.

As rotating mass seems is important in wheels i was wondering how light people can go with xc rims/wheels?

My current wheels are Hope tech enduro on my full sus, but im aware they are sturdy rather than light. I have a deal pending on a Carbon 29 HT, so was looking for a recommendation for a pr of 29er wheels that I can use for xc at a rider weight of 13st.

RobHilton
    Free Member

You’re over thinking it, just enter and get on with it

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It could be anywhere from pissing blood bumpy, to smooth enough to use rigid and semi slicks.

Thats the same course. Two years on the trot. Once was a week after a horse event. Once wasn’t.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your not going to podium race and see how it goes.

breninbeener

Im not going to podium…..i shall think less and pedal more 🙂

rsvktm

I’m same sort of weight to you and race xc and marathons, used a pair of crests for a few years, now use American Classic race. However I’m on a 29er FS, snapped a few spokes in light builds when racing hardtails.
    As said above courses are very differant and I wouldn’t get too hung up on equipment as yet, I’ve had my arse handed to me by guys on ‘heavy and outdated’ kit 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

You’re over thinking it, just enter and get on with it

This, but to answer this:

i was wondering how light people can go with xc rims/wheels

The answer is very. Just like normal wheels, until the impact which exceeds their strength.

deadkenny
    Free Member

xc race course could be anywhere and conditions vary.

I’ve never actually entered a race but done many of the local courses at various different times and they do change a bit with conditions and how much they’re ridden.

Though most the ones local to me I find it comfortable on a hard tail and light makes acceleration easier (as do my unfashionable for xc 26″ wheels 😀 ). Pick up the speed, loosen up and let the body absorb the bumps. If I’ve been riding those trails on the hard tail a lot I also find it quite comfortable. If I’ve been on rough stuff on the full sus for a bit then I find it a bit harsh swapping back.

cookeaa

The more pertinent question would be, how heavy are you OP?

Your own mass will probably dictate how much mass you can sensibly remove from the wheels before it becomes an issue.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

He says in his first post 13 stone .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How rough and bumpy is an xc race course?’ is closed to new replies.