Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • how quick and easy are tow bar racks to fit
  • meeeee
    Free Member

looking at some tow bar racks, the ones with built in lights like the Thule Euroclassic, or similar Atera ones.

How easy are they to fit + remove. I bike about 3 nights a week so want something cery quick to use as i'm often in a rush after work. I guess i could leave the rack on and folded up if thats possible, but not sure how it would affect the parking sensors in this position.

Any reccommendations to look at?

cheers

wwaswas

they take a couple of mins to fit and plug into the 'leccy – not sure you can drive with them 'folded up' as the lights woudl be in the wrong place?

nasher
    Free Member

much quicker than roof nes an they dont kill your mpg

meeeee
    Free Member

not sure you can drive with them 'folded up' as the lights woudl be in the wrong place?

hmmm yeah hadnt thought of that lol

meeeee
    Free Member

much quicker than roof nes an they dont kill your mpg

At the moment though i leave the roof one on constantly so putting the bike in that takes about 1 min. But i'm looking at a new car which is quite a lot higher than mine so will have to lift the bikes up more, and also as you say they affect the mpg more. Just wondering about the tow bar ones as if they are the way forward i'll spec the towbar when i order the new car.

geoffj

The quickest tow ball carriers, would probably those that slot into a bracket, which is permanently attached to the tow ball plate. They tend to be the ones which support the bike frames, rather than the wheels.

They wont be as quick as chucking it on the roof though. A Thule 591 can be loaded in 30 seconds once its set up.

Andituk
    Free Member

Depends on which one you get, my 908 takes about 20 seconds, you just plonk it on the ball, push down the lever and connect the electrics.

The cheaper ones I looked at needed you to tighten a bolt or clamp.

wwaswas

in terms of time – it'll increase it. It takes me the same time to fit a bar to a towbar rack as to the roof bar carrier so the towbar installation is additional time. But you don't have to worry abotu having it on the car the whole time which is a positive.

Also I'd look at gettign a fixed towbar rather than removable if you;'re usign it that regularly as again, fitting the towball will add to the setup time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘how quick and easy are tow bar racks to fit’ is closed to new replies.