Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How on earth…… do you move a range cooker?
  • Sidney
    Free Member

We have moved into a new home – yay. The main oven doesn’t work – nay.

I bought a replacement element but you have to access from the rear to undo the screws that attach the element – great thinking Leisure!

It’s an awkward size and shape, there are no easy places to grip it and no rollers to move it. Anyone have any foolproof (very foolproof) methods or tools that I need to move it for a 5 minute job?

Many thanks!

binners

martinhutch

Normally it’s a 2-3 man job. Can you move it forward at all, even by a few inches? If so, do that, then rock it backwards and stick some carpet under the front to make it easier to slide.

wwaswas

Trolley jack?

globalti
    Free Member

Go outdoors and wait until four hefty Ukrainians walk past and offer them a bottle of vodka for ten minutes work?

Hire a pallet truck?

binners

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lots of people or something you can get underneath to lift it

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

call Chuck Norris, he’ll move the Earth for you.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Having had a few range cookers I was stumped at first but all those I’ve encountered do have small rollers at the back so a little lift of the front should be enough to be able to pull it forwards.

One one such cooker the rollers were retractable and with a long allen key or screwdriver to an access point on the front you effectively ‘lowered’ them back onto the floor.

Sidney
    Free Member

So far I like the chuck norris approach!

Think the gap underneath isn’t high enough for a trolley jack so wondered if there was something with a lower profile people have used….

matt_outandabout

I manage to use wood battens under our old on to both get it in and out – slide them under the legs/supports/base, then get the thing sliding on them with the help of a few mates…

lesgrandepotato

Pick axe to lift, chuck broom handles underneath roll.

Sidney
    Free Member

Elliott-20If you’re right I could hug you! I’ll look to see if there are some retractable rollers, that would be the best present ever!

alpin
    Free Member

Go outdoors and wait until four hefty Ukrainians walk past and offer them a bottle of vodka for ten minutes work?

Stay classy.

wicki
    Free Member

maybe demount every thing all the lids doors and hot plates fire basket etc then as said before get a piece of carpet under the front.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Elliott-20 If you’re right I could hug you! I’ll look to see if there are some retractable rollers, that would be the best present ever!

I know this is the case of Rangemaster and Stoves. If you do a interwebs search you can find installation pdfs referencing it but annoyingly I can find any images or videos.

Sandwich

Carpet or towel under the front edge (carpet pile side down!). Should slide out nicely. The further under the beast the fabric goes the easier it will move so go at it in two stages, repositioning the carpet/towel after the first move out.
    Failing that find a network rail worker and ask to borrow his ‘small’ track pry bar (6′ long) and get that behind the range and off you go.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Ours is a Leisure one too. There is an adjuster to get it level as mentioned above but not much use to get it out. When I moved ours it was a case of open the oven and grill door so you can lift it up and out slightly. We did this onto a length of plywood to pull it out further

johndoh
    Free Member

Just for info – as you didn’t install it, you won’t know how it has been fixed in place and/or how long the feeds for utilities are so if you feel any resistance check straight away (you don’t want to go ripping off a gas feed).

And, somewhat bizarrely, they are meant to have a restraint chain fitted (like a range cooker could flip over) so watch out for that too.

BUT FWIW, I can slide my duel fuel 1m wide Brittania range cooker in and out by myself (10.5 st weakling).

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I use a couple of thin bits of plastic or perspex about 3′ long, 6″ wide to slide them out on. Either lift the front and stick them under the legs or chock the front up and wind the legs in a bit, handy if you can’t lift it up.

Be prepared for the fan guard and element screws and/or the holes they go into to be rusted. It’s good to have a selection of bigger self tappers and some nuts, bolts and washers on hand.

dannybgoode

I just hope I never need to get behind the Aga. They really don’t move easy…

BigJohn

I have a 900mm Leisure AL90F230. It doesn’t have the screw-down rollers accessible from the front and the front sits only 2 or 3mm from the ground.
    But if you give it a bit of a tug upwards using the door handles the rear rollers engage with the floor and start to lever it forward. Then it’s a bit of tilting and pulling until you get to the bit where you need to lean over and undo the chain.

alibongo001

I had a 370 kg wood burning stove fitted recently and a shop type pallet truck was the way we moved it.

Might be worth putting some wood between the legs of the truck and the cooker to make sure you don’t mark it.

if there’s enough space a pallet would be useful!

The guy who brought it from the original owner used some bits of metal to slide it around on the pallet – they were shelf supports from a supermarket, but any thin longish metal strips would do.

HTH

stetch81
    Free Member

definately the carpet sliding method, used it many times when tiling kitchens etc and had dificult shit to move!

Sidney
    Free Member

Thanks all. Looked at installation manual and alas no pop out rollers so lift and heave it is. Like the sound of the upturned carpet.

Thanks for the reminder about the lines and restrainers – I had them in mind as I have inspected the back – Mrs Sidney dropped a wipe down the back somehow so I scoped it out then.

Ta!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘How on earth…… do you move a range cooker?’ is closed to new replies.