Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • how old is old enough to own a rabbit
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

A pet one you perv!

Daughter (7) wants a pet rabbit.

Too young or just right?

We have a dog and a cat already so she'd have to look after the rabbit herself (with our help). In fact we had a dog and 2 cats when she was born so is quite used to being around pets.

Coyote
    Free Member

From personal experience, it doesn't matter. You will end up looking after them anyway. Luckily ours are pretty much free range so look after themselves.

They are great pets though, just don't keep 'em penned up.

Northwind

"A pet one you perv!"

Oh. never mind

uplink
    Free Member

Just as soon as they can cook

nmdbase
    Free Member

Just as soon as they can cook

Just what I was thinking!

Cooroo
    Free Member

Bought mine one when she was 10. She's pretty good with it, but I have to do a lot of reminding. We've all got fond of the rabbit, she sometimes comes in for a run-around (protect all cables!!). But has long term abscess in eye socket and is costing a fortune in antibiotics. Be prepared to do your bit – don't let rabbit suffer because child forgets!

Cletus

Seven is perfect as if the rabbit lives to a ripe old age (12) it should just be ready to expire when your daughter is old enough to leave home.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

DON'T GET ONE!

They are not suitable for kids. They can be a handful. They are pack animals and will be lonely on their own. They can be very difficult to look after properly and expensive to fix. What's the point in making an animal suffer because your child has a whim that it wants a rabbit and will no doubt leave the poor thing to rot in it's cage once she is bored and finds boys/make-up/alcohol. Rabbits can easily live to 12 years.

I have seen far too many unwanted rabbits left to waste away in rescues (or worse, left to suffer at the bottom of the garden) because 'someone's child once wanted it for a pet' to be subtle with this reply.

yunki
    Free Member

joolsburger
    Free Member

TiRed

+1 for littlegirlbunny.

Rabbits are pets for adults not children. They can be very aggressive. If lifespan is an issue, get a hamster (2yrs) for a 7yo. Next step up is a guinea pig (5yrs). You could still be cleaning out that rabbit when your daughter is at university!

My sister's house rabbit was around for a good 10 years.

bruk

I'd say go for a guinea pig (x2) as well. Much better child's pet. Lots of rabbits are difficult to handle, panic, scratch the child who then refuses to go anywhere near them.

Guinea pigs don't usually have as many dental problems and don't need vaccinations like rabbits either.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Guinea Pigs it is, thanks folks.

a vet even said similar to you lot (well, most of you) as did pets at home.

konabunny
    Free Member

yeah, I've heard that bunnies are surprisingly neurotic creatures, too. There is one breed that chews its own ears when it gets depressed. =;(

how about adopting an old cat from a shelter?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Konabunny, We've already got an old car from Cats protection league and a dog from RSPCA. 😀

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

How about adopting a couple of guineas from a rescue?

http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/

iDave
    Free Member

will cats protection league give anyone an old car?

TheSanityAssassin

With Bombers? Old enough to be dextrous and accurate, I'd have thought…

konabunny
    Free Member

We've already got an old car from Cats protection league and a dog from RSPCA.

Is this is the plot for a Pixar animated movie? 😆

spooky_b329

Always felt sorry for our rabbit stuck in a hutch. It had a run, but it didn't have any mates once the two guinea pigs expired, and didn't get handled enough to be friendly.

If I ever had a rabbit again it would have to be a house rabbit…but if I could have a house rabbit, I would choose a ferret instead…great fun 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘how old is old enough to own a rabbit’ is closed to new replies.