Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • how old is my rum?! (back of cupboard find)
  • meeeee
    Free Member

As theres no beer in the house i rummaged in the drinks cupboard and found a bottle of bacardi. Nothing unusual perhaps…

then i looked at the price – £4.99 for 26 2/3 Fl oz (or 75.5ml in metric). One of those tiny stick on price stickers from a VG shop and no barcode on the labels either.

I’m guessing must have been sat in there from late 80’s? When did barcodes start apperaing on labels?

Anyway still tastes ok, seemed a shame to open it in some respects.

wiggles
    Free Member

You have rum that is older than me…

meeeee
    Free Member

why, have you got a barcode 😆

wiggles
    Free Member

Maybe…

teethgrinder

I hope you mean 750ml.

meeeee
    Free Member

Meant 75.5cl. Pity it wasn’t a fine bottle of port or something a bit better than Bacardi!

yunki
    Free Member

My mate’s mum, legendary boozer, scrapper, town councillor and one time mayor of this ‘ere backwater town used to often provide us town drunks with a demijohn of something horribly potent that she’d brewed up and strained through the gusset of her tights..

The marrow rum was one thing that didn’t receive the honour of passing through her nylons, although we joked that she had strained it through her kidneys..
    I still gag when I think about the lumps that were lurking in those murky depths..
    Bacardi it was most definitely not..

leffeboy

I still gag when I think about the lumps that were lurking in those murky depths..

we’re still talking rum here? right?

yunki
    Free Member

No comment y’honour

Scapegoat

^^^^^ 😀

I went through mums drinks cupboard the other day and found a bottle with my sister’s handwriting on saying “slow gin” . Very tentatively we tried some (awesome) and then tried dating it. My best guess was 1982.

rocketman
    Free Member

The inlaws have a stash like this. FIL writes on the label when he got it and how much it cost, then puts it at the back of the cupboard because it’s ‘for a special occasion’ or ‘it’ll mature’.

They also have a similar stash of baked beans/skimmed milk/spam etc

shermer75
    Free Member

Barcodes were introduced in the UK in 1977. That bottle of run might be very old indeed…

Linky

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bacardi is not rum.

lardcore
    Free Member

Correct me if I’m wrong – I’m under impression that maturation/aging stops once strong alcohol is bottled.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

CFH is right, Bacardi is dire, pour it away.

meeeee
    Free Member

yeah i realised after i opened it why its sat at the back of the cupboard for so long.

Its now back in its resting place, and will probably stay there gathering more dust for another 15-20 years until i’ve forgotten how bad it tastes

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just add coke and lemon and lime and sing “I don’t wanna Dance, dance widyababy no more” on a small lump of builders sand somewhere closeby. 😆

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘how old is my rum?! (back of cupboard find)’ is closed to new replies.