Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • How old before a baby can understand NO?
  • anagallis_arvensis

Because he keeps pulling lumps of hair out of the dog

thegreatape
    Free Member

How old is he now?

Stoner
    Free Member

Stoner Jr Jr is 13months and understands No. Doesnt mean he stops doing it though.

oddjob
    Free Member

do you always pay attention when you’re parents say no?

Maybe the dog will finally put a stop to it…

rkk01
    Free Member

According to my parents it is somewhere north of 44…. 🙁

woody2000

Better to start training the dog in baby avoidance tactics TBH 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

Stoner Jr Jr

Grandad

KINGTUT
    Free Member

My daughter fully understood no at about 12 months.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Depends what Voltage you use 😈

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Stoner Jr Jr is 13months and understands No. Doesnt mean he stops doing it though”

So he doesnt understand no then, he just knows that “No” means he gets attention.

We have never really had too many problems with Jnr FD he occasionally pinches or smacks our dog, but its very rare. When he does we just show him how to stroke, and then he copies.

I dont know what age they truely understand No, but I wouldnt have though under 2 years.

transporter13
    Free Member

8 months old and it works a treat 8)

Drac

Doesn’t matter as when they get to 2 it no longer becomes a word they understand.

anagallis_arvensis

Better to start training the dog in baby avoidance tactics TBH

she’s pretty good at that but its getting harder, he’s nine months old yesterday

Stoner
    Free Member

Grandad

Stoner Jr Jr as opposed to his elder brother: Stoner Jr Sr.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

10 years old here and still not quite grasping the concept.

BigJohn

That’s Stoner Junior Minor

Stoner
    Free Member

there’ll be no miner’s in my family thankyou.

Harry_the_Spider

My daughter understood “No” at 12 months. At 22 months she longer understands it.

HtS jr is nearly 4. He fully understands it but on most occassions chooses to ignore it. 😕

I’m thinking of putting him on ebay.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

ours is 14 months, she understands NO (we think) if she starts doing naughty stuff we put her on the floor whilst saying NO! – she has a paddy for 5 seconds then moves on to the next assault!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Depends on their mood and entirely disagree with FunkyDunc suggesting they just understand it gets attention if they still do it.

But if you really want to put a stop to it there needs to be a punishment as will as no.

Get on to his level, look into his eyes and tell him it is wrong and that if he does it again he will go in the naughty corner/step or whatever. The ‘rule’ is one minute per year so just a minute. Tell him he is being put there because he has been naughty because he hurt the dog.

EVERY TIME he does it, warn him and give him the same punishment.

We had to do it at a similar age when one of our girls started biting the other and it has (mostly) worked.

elaineanne
    Free Member

electric shock shud work….kids today dont have the word NO implanted in their vocabulary 😉 :mrgreen: too many kids have got what they wanted over the years by boning the parents and the parents just gave into it to shut them up .. and bought them whatever they wanted….(SO NO RESPECT), and they gets away with it..in my day ‘NO’ was a ‘No’ (never did us any harm…we frowned at the time but learnt to buy our own things with our saved up’paper round money’ (lol) well there were 5 kids in my family , and we were all satisfied with whatever we got such as at xmas time and birthdays…not all this ‘toys’, ‘money’, sports gear and who,s got the best trainers of the month in between malarkey… 😉
    whats needed in schools also is a sergent majour type of person.
    we had one in our secondary school years ago…. ‘Doc Barker’ was his name…if you were sent to his office (you were terrified…. i remember seeing kids in the line-up quivering and waiting in-line to be seen…that cane sounded ruddy awfull….there must have been many ‘red behinds’ back then…. its the only way disruptive kids learnt.. 😉
    fortunatley i was never in that office line-up… 😉 phew…

Gordy
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh, and don’t just say ‘no’

Say ‘No, do not pull the dog’s hair’ because you will find that you spend most of your time saying ‘no’ to one thing or another and they become immune to responding to it – they need to understand WHAT it is that they are doing that is wrong.

RS4KEV

+1 on not just saying no

Mind you DD is 2 next week and understands that tearing my bike magazines up will get her told off, so she waits and plots until i’m just out of sight……

molgrips
    Free Member

My daughter understood “No” at 12 months. At 22 months she no longer understands it.

We have had a similar experience.

However, I would suggest that rather than ‘NO!’ you might teach her the word ‘gentle’ instead. A bit more positive and it should teach her to modify her behaviour rather than just stop – therefore being a positive thing (copying you petting the dog gently and then getting praise) rather than a negative one. In general if you want a kid to stop doing something you have to give him or her an alternative, otherwise they’ll just get frustrated and cross.

Gentle is a very useful word!

Netdonkey

Said No to mine last night, still came home with 14 new pairs of trainers and a new telly. He’s only two! And the twonk forgot to loot the controller to go with the telly! 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Good point Molgrips – although we say ‘be nice’ or ‘kiss’ when Izzi tries to take a chunk out of Evie – same theory though 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

i found hitting them from an early age achieved good results….

i am not a parent…..

Helios
    Free Member

As an interim measure you could always shave the dog…

RS4KEV

^^ very good 😀

qwerty
    Free Member

9v battery on the tounge each time he does it should produce a different behaviour pattern 😉

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

about 17

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘How old before a baby can understand NO?’ is closed to new replies.