Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • How often do you service your fox forks?
  • bwakel
    Free Member

Don’t judge me too harshly but I’ve been running Fox forks since 2009 and I’ve never serviced them on either of the two bikes I’ve run them on. My current Fox 34 Kashimas have been in action since 2015 and have done about 1500 miles, mainly in the Lakes, Peaks and Wales plus muddy rides closer to home in Hampshire.

Back in the good old bad old days I used to have to service and rebuild my forks pretty regularly as they ended up leaking or falling apart pretty quickly but the amazing reliability of modern Fox forks means I take them for granted. That said, my 34s do seem to have lost a noticeable amount of suppleness of late.

So, my questions are, how often do you service your Fox forks and do you notice much difference after you service them?

Northwind

I think I’m supposed to do mine every 50 hours but who has any idea how long they’ve ridden a fork for? So I do it Every So Often. Essentially whenever I feel like servicing a fork, because I quite like doing it. So probably twice a year.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Think mine have a service interval of 20hrs or something stupid. Needless to say it doesn’t happen.
    Settled on once a year – which reminds me, they are due one about now.

drovercycles
    Free Member

In my experience if you’ve noticed a drop-off in performance then they’re probably past the point where they “just” need a service and you’ll be looking at replacement parts as well. A couple of times a year, or maybe once a year if you ride less often, seems about right to keep on top of things – and on that schedule they’ll generally always feel as good as new.

matt_outandabout

I’m the same as Fifeandy – once a year, in the spring. Job done.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Check the Fox website for service intervals.

My 2016 Fox 34s are 125hrs which is way more than my previous forks that had a 50 hr service interval.

russyh
    Free Member

once a year in spring, maybe a lower leg service myself when the garage is tidy and I’m feeling organised. Class that as 1.5 services a year

wiggles
    Free Member

I see what happens to the forks that people wait too long to service… be prepared for £££££

once a year at least for a proper service, learn to do lowers or get LBS to do it regualrly and they will be fine.

Not point spending hundreds or thousands on suspension for it to not work properly because it is full of crap

iainc

What about shocks then, same frequency?

coatesy
    Free Member

I try to do a lowers service once a month on mine, but it usually ends up every two months.

Northwind

drovercycles – Member

In my experience if you’ve noticed a drop-off in performance then they’re probably past the point where they “just” need a service and you’ll be looking at replacement parts as well

True dat- but otoh, drops in performance like this are hard to feel so it’s totally possible for it to feel fine, then you service it and realise that over time it’s gone off.

iainc

^^^ I read that this morning while setting up new bike. Have always had impression that folk send forks off for annual service but perhaps not shocks…

fifeandy
    Free Member

That’d be because they are riding hardtails! 😀

Northwind

TBH on my old bike, I just did aircan services and reused the seals each time. The relatively low price of a basic RP23 meant that full servicing was soon going to rack up to be more than replacement- and light servicing probably does most of the job.

But now I have a posh shock so I’ll treat it like my firstborn child.

mechanicaldope

What tend to be the consequences of not servicing a fork?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Twice in 10 years. I am still alive.

wiggles
    Free Member

What tend to be the consequences of not servicing a fork?

Mostly it is dirty/dry seals lead to worn stanchions which means they won’t be very smooth and if it’s bad enough lose air, the fix is a new CSU (£££).

Same goes for shocks, you have the replace the shaft as it gets worn.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Haven’t done my forks or shock for a year. The “trail adjust” knob is stuck and they could do with service tbh just haven’t got round to it.

takisawa2

The 2015 34’s are harsh as crap anyway, no amount of fettling has rendered mine any good.

Had them rebuilt last summer, after 15 months (about 40 hours use), when the CTD function packed up. Will change the oil this Spring, but as you can tell it’s not ridden much, I prefer the rigid Fatty. It’s not been out since Oct in fact.
    But keeping on top of oil changes is key. Any crap ends up in the oil, which then ends up being deposited all around the fork over time, a full strip down is then required, & that’s when you discover the damage. Given an oil change is easy job it’s worth doing regularly yourself.

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s true that a fork is already damaged when you feel performance drop off, but of course it could be.

Timely thread anyway, must service my pike. I try to do it yearly but sometimes go a bit longer.

bwakel
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like once a year ought to do it. I’ve ordered a service kit and will get it sorted next weekend. It’s only a year overdue this time

bwakel
    Free Member

Just carried out the oil change service. Ordered the kit from Plush Suspension who delivered promptly and there’s enough oil left for the next service plus I didn’t replace the wipers, which came in the kit, as they seem fine too. Absolutely no signs of damage but the old oil did look quite tired and emulsified.

The forks are noticeably plusher now. So they seem to survive two years and about 150 hours of riding without servicing reasonably well although an annual service looks like a much more sensible way of ensuring the oil remains in decent condition and therefore both protects the component parts and keeps things smooth.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘How often do you service your fox forks?’ is closed to new replies.