Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • How often do you change your helmet?
  • Houns

Crashes/damage aside, how often do you/should you replace a helmet?

druidh
    Free Member

Depends on how much you ride, how sweaty you are and where you store it. I count on 3 years.

Houns

Not very, not very and usually in a dark garage. 4 Years old, i think its time for a new one

ChrisL

After 3 years, if it survives that long. Come to think of it my Xen may be my first helmet to last that long – if it survives the next couple of months. I had a Spesh Decibel that nearly made it but its retention straps decided to die mere weeks before its retirement date.

GavinB

I count on roughly three years as well, plus this means I can justify buying a new one to Mrs B more easily 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

when the smell starts to cause wildlife you pass to run in fear of it's life

FOG

Motor bike mags always used to recommend 2years for a polycarbonate helmet and 5 for a fibre glass. As all ours are some sort of polycarb 2-3 would seem right. Mind you, the biggest danger to mine is ham fisted chucking in back of car incident!

jon1973
    Free Member

I think I've had the same helmet for about 7 years.

Trimix
    Free Member

I will change mine when the fashion police arrest me. I dont think age will affect the ability of my helmet to offer scant protection from trees and rocks.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Doesn't anyone wash/renew their padding? I know I do or it kills me.

Got a 2D helmet last year and love it – hope it lasts a while. I confess to putting in a helmet bag (supplied with it) when going anywhere in the car (with bike)! So handy – it "does" road (take peak off) and MTB (leave peak on) and weighs naff all. Comfy too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They degenerate with age, UV exposure and sweat. I would guess 3-5 years.

What do the manufacturers say?

crikey
    Free Member

I change mine when it's no longer fashionable… I've still got one of these somewhere;

steve_b77
    Free Member

When I break it

jon1973
    Free Member

What do the manufacturers say?

I suspect what they say is motivated by the desire to sell you a new helmet.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Giro say 3 years, I say baloney (sp).

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I've never had a helmet longer than 5 years without replacing it, either through accident/crash damage of becuase I've felt the need to replace it for whatever reason – last years change was after having brain surgery, and deciding that my very old Met needed to be changed to offer (potentially) more protection.

z1ppy

4 years for my last one, though I replaced the main pad well before that -now sits in the garage for use by newbies who don't have one

Soup
    Free Member

Whenever it starts to look a bit crap. Usually about every 4 years.

isnilloc
    Free Member

abought to buy a new one……spend it on the bike instead, says the voice in my head.

Diane
    Free Member

Think about every 3 years is about right – old helmets can disintegrate on impact apparently

Taff
    Free Member

Every 3 years for my xc helmet. My old dh helmet is sitting in a cupboard unused but very much loved… classic White with red frames. Can't part with that. Also got a p155 pot too but that holding gardening gloves and a trowel in the shed

Soup
    Free Member

Whenever it starts to look a bit crap. Usually about every 4 years.

pitduck
    Free Member

when I break it 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

My current one is about 10 years old (spesh one).

Expanded PS (the main constituent part of most helmets) does not biodegrade and is not photo-reactive. Crash replacement or keep using it.

Carbis

3 years, but I also check the ratings for the tires and brake pads I fit to my car…….

rudedog
    Free Member

The helmet safety website says that sweat won't harm a helmet. Also, most helmets contain inhibitors to slow the effect of UV degredation so unless you leave your helmet in direct sun when you not using it they will last a lot longer than the three years claimed by manufacturers.

ro
    Free Member

every three months. but then i use it daily on my scooter too (don't lecture me, the ciy traffic doesn't go over 25 kph) and it gets very stinky very fast in this heat. plus they're cheap 'cos we get cosmetic seconds from taiwan.

darrell
    Free Member

every 4 years(ish). and i concur with Surf-Mat, the Spesh 2D is bl00dy brilliant

glenncampbell

I change mine every 3 years or after a big stack, which in my case was 3 years ago and I cracked my last helmet on that one 🙂

lowey

Mine last ages because I'm always polishing it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘How often do you change your helmet?’ is closed to new replies.