Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How often
  • hooli

So how often do you change your bikes? and what happens to the old one?

I recently got a new MTB, old one was 3 to 4 years old and is going to be kept as a winter or second bike. Was wondering if it is worth selling but I suspect it would be worth almost nothing so more use to me

Yak

Not that often – its more an evolving pile of bits that occasionally gets a new frame thrown at it.

I did have a 26er clear out 18months ago though. Sold most of the frames on here, gave one to a mate. Some wheels sold and some given away. Tyres mostly given away or binned if they were really worn-out.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Was wondering if it is worth selling but I suspect it would be worth almost nothing so more use to me

Depends what bike it is of course, but if it isn’t knackered and you like the way it rides, then yes, worth more to you than you’ll get for it.

Having it as a second/winter bike will also reduce maintenance costs on your new bike, so win-win really.

coogan
    Free Member

Hopefully getting my first all new bike next weekend. Been waiting months for the frame to arrive. That’ll be my first all new bike in about 6 years. In the past it’s been an evolving bike. New frame, new forks, new drivetrain, new frame etc etc.

jambalaya
    Free Member

5 years on average. I have only retired one frame, others I still have. I am now firmly in the evolve camp, so I might buy new frame but kit moves between old frame and new for example.

ThePinkster

I’ve only ever bought 2 complete bikes – 1 in 1996 (might have been ’95) and one last year. The one I bought last year then had almost all the components replaced before I rode it.

Yak

Was wondering if it is worth selling but I suspect it would be worth almost nothing so more use to me

Keep for the reasons offthebrakes said. Sell if it duplicates the type of use the new one is for, or if there is any other chance of it gathering dust. A 4year old bike is worth something. An 8year old bike that’s had 4 years of use is worth less than something. Splitting to sell may help too, depending on the condition of all the components.

deadkenny
    Free Member

When I feel I’ve outgrown the current one, or broken it, or there’s just an amazing deal on something new, but generally they come though upgrades.

My attitude now is to just buy a frame and move components across. Brand new bikes are poor value considering the price and rapid depreciation. Ex-demo and last year models are better. Though generally I find a whole bike doesn’t have the components I want.

Have got thoughts on a fork upgrade for the hard tail, but because it’s a through axle that my wheels won’t take, it means new wheels and that’s got me thinking 650, so… new frame, wheels and fork 😀

But really, I’m happy with what I’ve got in terms of frames, and the bouncy bike is a keeper for now, with pretty much all the components are what I want or need.

hooli

Interesting point above – I found when looking at 2nd hand bikes that they fall into 2 categories. Well used to the point of needing a lot sorting (like the one I mention above) or pretty clean but only a few hundred quid less than new so I may as well buy new with the warranty and not have to travel half way across the country.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Probably 2 yearly,2 schools here , my mate has the previous bike or bits on ebay before the new bits arrive , sells at whatever cost, offsets this against the new purchase, nice shiny bike and room in the garage, then there is me buy something new look what Ive paid for the bike/bits Im replacing, decide its worth too much to me personally for selling for cheap on ebay, Ive a garage full of outdated crap that I cant get in to even work on bike No1, god I wish I could change and get rid!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How often’ is closed to new replies.