Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How noticable is 200g in terms of rotational weight?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Vaguely thinking about upgrading to hope hoops / SP355 from my current proII/4.2 hoops.

Worked it out there is about 200g difference in weight and I haven't read anything about the 355 rims that makes me think they are signifcant'y weaker.

I'm partaking in the the odd XC race now so wondering if I will notice the difference – 200g from the wheels seems alot

br
    Free Member

You will notice – cheap way to find out; buy a lightweight tyre, and see if you notice the difference?

If so then buy the wheels and mount new tyre 😀

I'm looking at those too, as I've rashly agreed to a 100/120k…

tazzymtb

main difference is that you can run your tyres tubeless with just a valve and yellow tape as well which also saves weight overall even if you've been using rimstrips in the dt rims.It all helps on long events even if it's mainly psychology 😀

avalanche
    Free Member

Going ghetto tubeless will save you approx 75g per wheel on top of your 200g. You will be supprised how much faster it all feels.

DT78
    Free Member

Hmmmmm do hope hoops/stan 355 come with the valves to go tubeless?

Must admit I've never tried tubeless (despite having a no tubes kit sat in my shed) because I'm a bit of a serial tyre swapper based on conditions

I'm running a medusa/mud x combo at the moment so not sure I can drop 200g out of the tyres as that's a pretty light combo (I think)

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

avalanche – why mess around with ghetto on stans rims? double wrap of yellow tape and pretty much any none ust tyre IME is fine and no flappy half tubes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rotating weight is most important.

This dingle upgrade won't make a massive difference alone, get tyres too.

avalanche
    Free Member

GeeWavetree- You have a point. Sorry I wasn't concentratiting. The weight saving should then be a little more.

tazzymtb

some one is flogging some stans ztr olymics wuth american classic hubs on the classifieds that will save a loads of weight!!

DT78
    Free Member

tazzy – I saw that which prompted my thoughts, not sure on second hand wheels though and I would have thought that 1400g would be too light for my 13stone?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

if you want to be able to be tyres in a hurry, mount a set of mud tyres on the old 'heavy' wheels and some summer ones on the lightweight wheels.

IME tubeless tyres inevitably needed a repair every few* weeks so if you had multiple sets you only have to decide what tyres to use for the next month at a time anyway.

*conti gravity UST which seemed to have paper side walls.

tazzymtb

nah they'll be fine they are the same weight as wheels I wan running on my silly light voodoo hardtail and I was a fairly chunky little monkey at the time (78kg). As long as the spoke tension is even they'll take loads of xc race/marathon abuse, and if they are going on to a boingy bike you can probably get away with it even more 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How noticable is 200g in terms of rotational weight?’ is closed to new replies.