Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • how not to clean your bike
  • konadad
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=72RcsXvlCYs#[/video]

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I did that, once….

wurzelcube
    Free Member

You can imagine the service report sheet on the next service:
    – New wheel bearings due to water ingress
    – New bottom bracket due to water ingress
    – New headset due to water ingress.
    – Forks: Lowers contaminated with water.

Recommendations: Do not wash the bike with a pressure hose, do not direct water at the fork seals etc etc

It always makes me wonder why they install pressure washers at trail centres?

P20

I did hear of a Whyte carbon owner doing similar things. He was laughing at the speed the pedals were going round until the chain came off, ripped the front mech off and blew a hole in the seat tube. 😯 🙄

thepodge
    Free Member

I pressure wash mine but from about 10 foot away and don’t point it at the important bits direct, never had an issue

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Meh.
    Do it all the time. I hate cleaning bikes, but I don’t mind fixing them.

Coyote
    Free Member

As per thepodge.

cynic-al
    Free Member

how not to clean your bike

Too right! It’s upside down!

:shame:

konadad
    Free Member

nice lad tho. let me have jet wash for my car. what you don’t see is big bottle of wkd to lube up after

nealglover
    Free Member

I do mine all the time, as I have a van mounted pressure washer and water tank.

Never had any problems. 2 minutes work, Avoid some bits obviously, and lube afterwards. Job done.

watsontony
    Free Member

nice lad tho. let me have jet wash for my car. what you don’t see is big bottle of wkd to lube up after

i sort of know that guy. i will direct him to this thread. 🙂

i use that same jet was for my bike. never had any problems, but i hold the nozzle more than 1 inch away……………

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Used to do mine regularly. Never had a problem.

Now, Muc-Off though…..? Nasty stuff that, I’m VERY careful with it.

konadad
    Free Member

i sort of know that guy. i will direct him to this thread.

😳

look at the vid ‘how to clean your bike in 15 mins’ if it comes up as similar vid. i am somewhere nearer the first vid. dont look up the ‘bike wash at wdw2010’ in company tho

bikebouy
    Free Member

Jet wash if its filthy, hand wash if not. Careful whilst holding a lance in my hand, but not afraid to wiggle it around ( from about 2ft away )

But not that bothered if I have to replace stuff, I buy a bike to use not sit weeping.

andeh

My weapon of choice…

8)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

+

+

+

=

coogan
    Free Member

Your meant to wash them?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yes, or for washing rabbits.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Ive jet washed my bike in a garage a few times out of laziness, now problems yet.

jota180
    Free Member

I tend to line ’em up and jet wash the lot in one go every couple of weeks

IHN

Okay, what I don’t understand is why anyone would video that and post in on YouTube?

Is it part of a thrilling series, including such blockbusters as:

‘Brushing Teeth’
    ‘Doing the Washing Up’

and the awesome

‘Putting The Bins Out’

😕

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive been jetwashing mine for years and years. Bearings seem to last well over 3 years.

Given I ride 3-4 times a week in the UK (mud) Im quite happy to save hours and hours cleaning and possibly change bearings once every 3 years or more.

Of course, if you have cup and cone you are an idiot and shouldnt jet wash them. (or use them in the rain)

dantsw13

Gofaster – I have that sprayer , and it also doubles as a tubeless compressor!!!

jota180
    Free Member

Okay, what I don’t understand is why anyone would video that and post in on YouTube?

I was sort of expecting him to catch the washing lance or some bodily appendage in the spinning machinery as justification for posting it, hence I watched till the end.
    With people posting vids of their commute whilst shouting out car reg numbers – like some sort of demented car-spotter on speed – becoming common, I guess some people find anything entertaining.

officialtob
    Free Member

With people posting vids of their commute whilst shouting out car reg numbers – like some sort of demented car-spotter on speed

^^ Made me LOL on a Tuesday afternoon. Which is always a good thing.

fasthaggis

I use an army of cats 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

I don’t see what is wrong with that. I jet wash my bike at any opportunity and its fine. The only thing I have access to that I wouldn’t use to wash my MTB is the steamer at work. I have however used it, with great effect, to wash my road bike.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘how not to clean your bike’ is closed to new replies.