Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • How much would a new STW design enhance our lives?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Given, on average, we probably spend more time on here than eating and drinking, or shaving, how amazing would it be to wake up one morning, take our first sip of warm caffeine, open the browser and find a modern, responsively designed website? It would be like moving to a new house, picking up a fresh new bike from the LBS, fitting new tyres or opening the box of a new pair of trainers. It would up there in this list for me, which is probably a bit concerning.

leffeboy

You see I personally hate most ‘responsive’ sites. They require you to scroll 5 million miles to the bottom of the page to select most things but it takes forever as they are constantly loading content. Also whenever you read a page things are constantly moving as new content is being loaded and things resize/relocate

…misses the 90s…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Hmm, dunno – for me as long as it works… which STW does, if you use the right brouser, install the right plug in and have fibre…

Otherwise it’s a laggy mess of a thing that frustrating as hell to use, yeah fix that.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

How about a Boost version?

somouk
    Free Member

It’s fine when you have a P next to your name. On the odd occasion I’m not logged in I don’t think I would come back!

leffeboy

It’s fine when you have a P next to your name. On the odd occasion I’m not logged in I don’t think I would come back!

As above. It’s insane on mobile without a P

scotroutes

Amen brother

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

This place is all about the chatter for me. So long as the chatter is legible I couldn’t care less what it looks like.

CountZero

As above. It’s insane on mobile without a P

Really? Struggling to see how. I don’t have a ‘P’, and I only ever look at this site on my pad or phone, mostly on wifi at home, but also on the phone away from home, and I can’t say I’ve had any more issues than I get on broadband at home.
    And the subject of changing the layout to one like other fora comes up with monotonous regularity, and the response is usually the same; why? Other fora are a bitch to navigate, trying to find a particular subject through skeins of other threads.
    This one I’ve been using since 2003, and it’s by far the best forum to use of any I’ve looked at, the great majority of which have me wanting to chew my thumbs off with frustration.
    You don’t fix what ain’t broke, simples.

Rubber_Buccaneer

With a ‘P’ I like it as it is. If responsive sites are the ones where the back button takes you back to the top of the previous page rather than where I was on that page (Morvelo for one and Sports Pursuit for another) then they piss me right off.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

leffeboy – Member

As above. It’s insane on mobile without a P[/quote]

It’ll soon be fine on 3 by the looks of it…

Doesn’t bother me so much when not logged in, those responsive sites though, ugggh, nothing more irritating than the navigation links disappearing down the page as you click and end up viewing a page on something you have zero interest in as it appeared at just the “right” time where the “my account” link was the seconds ago.

Actually no there is one thing more annoying. Those damn “chat with our tech support” bubbles that appear mid page and can’t be closed on a mobile and float over everything.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Actually no there is one thing more annoying

You should have a ‘chat’ with tech support about that 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Seems fine to me. Maybe it’s you?

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

There’s a reason why Pinkbike is number one, shame really, this lot could do the same the other side of the pond with equal panache, they are just a bit to sluggish.
    ie read the comments

Drac

It took 30 seconds to load that link. 😆

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

At the risk of sounding like my dad when I tried to persuade him to ditch AOL and Connie , what improvements would we see with a new site?

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=31YTjxKb8jo[/video]

STATO
    Free Member

And the subject of changing the layout to one like other fora comes up with monotonous regularity, and the response is usually the same; why? Other fora are a bitch to navigate, trying to find a particular subject through skeins of other threads.
    This one I’ve been using since 2003, and it’s by far the best forum to use of any I’ve looked at, the great majority of which have me wanting to chew my thumbs off with frustration.
    You don’t fix what ain’t broke, simples.

Its not the content or the layout that needs to change (ie. still bike/chat/classifieds) but the way its presented, so built for mobiles. Plenty of other sites have that, it means the content is still there but the site is built in a way it interacts with your phone to determine re-sizing to fit your screen, how buttons and things are laid out, basically all stuff modern website do for computer based browsers. its coming anyway so yay.

kayla1
    Free Member

I still use a Win7 laptop. New fangled Fisher Price looking touchy feely screen nonsense can f- right offwards.

edit- and you can poke the new ‘improved’ paypal website up your Boost 148 back end as well.

Drac

Its not the content or the layout that needs to change (ie. still bike/chat/classifieds) but the way its presented, so built for mobiles. Plenty of other sites have that, it means the content is still there but the site is built in a way it interacts with your phone to determine re-sizing to fit your screen, how buttons and things are laid out, basically all stuff modern website do for computer based browsers. its coming anyway so yay.

Id make a forum that was more easily usable on mobile devices given how popular they are
    Classic source of conflict. Why would we do that when that would more than halve our ad revenue?

I agree.. it would be lovely. It would be more usable and just nice. But we’d be poorer.

In fact it’s sort of a moot point since I’ve got our mobile site on my phone right now (testing) and you will all soon get to play with it. We are going to take a big financial hit with that since the revenues for mobile sites are much less than desktop sites (even desktop sites on mobile).

My gamble is that in the long run we’ll win – but we certainly won’t in the short/medium term.[/quote]

kayla1
    Free Member

You need to sort your formatting out there, Fingers.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

A decent forum would sort that quote nesting up no probs. 😀

In all seriousness, it would actually attribute quotes to their creators, so people don’t just think you’ve got fat fingers.

Drac

Yeah that’s me not the forum. 😳

It’s taken from two different threads so the attribute wouldn’t work.

the-muffin-man

A bit more width would be nice – looks narrow nowadays.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

This one I’ve been using since 2003

I’ve been on here a few years but has it not changed in over 12 years? Amazing,

scotroutes

It all changed at the end of 2008

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

So what you’re saying is the forum needs to be hacked again?

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=yY-P3D63Z18[/video]

markgraylish
    Free Member

Just make it work on Tapatalk…

mrsfry
    Free Member

More pictures of kittens and a lilac and sea green background.
    Thank you

toby1

It’s the rigid singlespeed of fora and that’s what we love about it.

steveoath
    Free Member

If there’s a switch the discourse software is great

stgeorge

No problems whatsoever , Win 10, adblock, desktop/tablet.

Use phone to call people.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Use phone to call people.

Erm…congrats?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Pinkbike.
    Just this second found it, never heard of it before.
    Hell what a mess. It’s like bike radar but worse.
    I’d love to see less in the way of ads but they make it free so no big deal.
    I be happy to ditch the chat forum to some extent if it kept the political sh*** out but its nice and simple really and it works.
    For gods sake keep tapatalk away. The CTC forum keeps asking my tablet if I want to use it. If I did I would darn well ask for it !

mattsccm
    Free Member

You know that big banner at the top. Now it could be replaced with endless Kylie. Not just Fridays 😆

thv3
    Free Member

#like
    (without a like, +1 or any similar function)

In all seriousness, its been talked about for ages……. anyone with too much time on their hands care to find the first forum redesign comment?

There is even Google extensions now(which I use), and the search function isn’t worth the pixel count. Would be nice to see even minor updates, perhaps a front page poll to gauge interest/support?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OK folks, I can’t be the only person to click the “Share” button on this thread can I?

Erm. Anyone?

Anyone?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I always use it. How else am I going to share funny posts with our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ?

mefty
    Free Member

In response to the OP, not at all. To be fair avoiding this site would probably enhance my life.

batfink
    Free Member

The new enduro mtb site design is nice….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Change, Change!!! It’s changed…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘How much would a new STW design enhance our lives?’ is closed to new replies.