Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • how much weight would these bits save on my bike?
  • nasher
    Free Member

I want to lighten up my beast a bit and think these bits may be the best to replace as everything else is pretty much OK.

change stock rear shimano hub (steel axle cassette) for a hope pro 2

titanium spring in my marz 66 RC3

titanium spring for my fox rear shock (3.25*350 on a 240mm eye to eye shock)

change truvativ hussefelt DH crank for a shimano saint or SLX with bash.

Do ti springs actually offer that much weight savings for their cost? was thinking of maybe an even lighter wheelset like mavic SX with tubeless may be more effective?

StealthBlack
    Free Member

As far as I know a Titanium spring is pretty much half the weight compared to a steel one so a bit over 200 grams on the rear shock.

If you are talking about the wheels on the Froggy I would recommend these; http://www.actionsports.de/Wheels/Laufrad-Specials/Fun-Works-2010-Shot-NoTubes-ZTR-Flow-black-Limted-white-Editio::23082.html

Wide UST rim with a 10mm through axle. Not sure about those exact hubs but I have heard that the Nope hubs are rebranded Sunringle hubs to some extent….
    I am looking to shave some weight off mine to so will follow this!

ahwiles
    Free Member

(i'm a geek with a set of calibrated digital scales…)

i saved 200g changing a shimano hub for a Nuke proof – it's basically a less expensive Pro II, and less noisy.

i could save 100g replacing a steel rear spring with a titanium spring, for about £160 – whoo.

(and that's based on the CLAIMED weight of a Ti spring)

the Saint cranks weigh more than my car, but going from hussefelt to SLX will save you about 200g.
    (XT cranks 100g lighter again – and plenty strong enough for all but the most careless free-rider)

(astronomers are mistaken, there isn't a super-massive black hole at the centre of our galaxy, there's a set of Saint Cranks)

when was the last time you ruined a wheel through normal riding? (no crashes) – do you really need the rims you've got? could you get away with lighter rims?

weight saving, more addictive than smack…

StealthBlack
    Free Member

awhiles: When you compare the XT and SLX are you talking about the triple rings? I changed a XT crankset with a E13 Bash on it for a SLX dual w. bash and they weighed the same… The Bash on the SLX is light and really good… Might be a bit left to gain if I transfer it to the XT set though.

Dont really agree with the hub comparison as the Nukeproof generator is built in the same way as White Industries/WTB hub but your comparison was maybe more towards the application way of things…

jade
    Free Member

What standard do you all ride at – would you really notice the difference of a few grammes here and there? Would it honestly make your riding experience more enjoyable, or is it more for the bling factor?

dooge
    Free Member

Biggest difference is always rotating weight, so tyres/tubes/rim/spokes. Ti springs are great ideas as they make the suspension suppler at the beginning and ramp up better than steel. maybe save a pound and a half at most?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘how much weight would these bits save on my bike?’ is closed to new replies.