Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • How much to swim?
  • SaxonRider

I am contemplating visiting one of the many hotels with pools (and gym equipment) between my home and work in the next few days, as I would like to return to swimming.

I have sent e-mails to, and called, a few of them for prices, but none of them just say ‘It’s £5 to swim for an hour, and £35 for the month’ (or whatever).

How much should I expect to pay per month to one of these places with a view to swimming daily (or close to it)?

Any ideas?

I should add that I am interested in the hotel pools because of their convenient location, and because I like a bit more luxury than I would expect some of the council pools to offer. But I’m open to suggestions.

wwaswas

I’d check they ‘rope off’ areas for lane swimming at the hotels – you don’t want to be trying to dodge kids and inflatables.

Most council pools will have lanes marked for ‘proper’ swimmers plus they’ll be longer pools so you do more swimming and less turning.

richardk
    Free Member

£4.50 per session with my local pool – that seems an average price to base calculations on.

Don;t forget, hotel pools are usually not made for swimming. They are made for fat people to lounge around in, and so will be about 4 metres long.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

why are you going to a hotel, tiny pool is no good. go to your local leisure centre with a 25m or 50m pool, find out when the lane sessions are, swim then.

3.40 for me, 6quid for me and my boy.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

oh, and my local leisure centre does a monthly unlimited swim card for about 20quid.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Yeah you’ll need a 25m pool really … I sometimes use a 17m and its PITA

Check out how busy a pool is, at the times you what to used it. Because if you get into swimming and start putting in proper session there’s nothing worse than being held up in a lane by lots of people.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I pay £75 a month for ‘spa’ membership

It’s a con, the £18 a month council gym/pool was quieter, had better eye candy and didn’t have fekin Enya/panpipes/whale music piped into every fricking room.

the-muffin-man

A lot of local pools have been re-vamped in recent years – in my area Matlock, Alfreton and Ripley have all been re-built in the last few years and are nice places to swim.

grum
    Free Member

Local Uni sports centre?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

there’s nothing worse than being held up in a lane by lots of people.

i can’t stand it when you get people standing in the shallow end of the lane chatting.

iainc

£2.90 in the Glasgow pools, modern and clean. Good value.

trail_rat
    Free Member

in aberdeen public pools are hell.

if your not in a club in aberdeen dont expect to swim unless its 9pm at night.

i use the local hilton doubletree- 18 metre pool but the extra turns are better than staying up wide awake after swimming late at night.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“i can’t stand it when you get people standing in the shallow end of the lane chatting. “

Tumble turn ’em…. and if you can’t tumble, then defo give it a go right in the middle of them… they’ll be scared senseless. 😆

StuF

About £29 for 10 swims at my local council pool across the road from work. 3 roped off lanes of varying speeds

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“wide awake after swimming late at night.”

why is that ?? I had it last week.

scuttler

!!SWIMMING LANE RAGE!!

From http://www.independent.co.uk/news/swimming-rage-in-the-ego-lane-1151716.html

The Piranha: Vicious middle lane inhabitant. Irritated that not quick enough for fast lane and relieves frustrations by nipping heels and elbows of the unwary.

The Beluga Whale: Floats along languidly in middle lane, causing vast hold-ups and splashing water in all directions.

The Penguin: This unshapely creature waddles ungainly to pool side. In water, however, effortlessly – and infuriatingly – swims past all but the fastest.

The Leopard Seal: Most aggressive species, usually male. Hostile. Wears goggles, cap and nosepin. Will charge over or under those in his path.

The Jellyfish: The slowest water-borne species. Will simply float along, often walking with arms aloft wearing a slightly puzzled expression.

The Sea Horse: Congregate for conversation at the shallow end, forcing you to shorten your length or fight to the lane’s end.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Yep … thats all us mid-life crisis triathlon wannabes. 😆

Keva
    Free Member

£2.80 for an early morning weekday swim and £3.20 any other time. I prefer early mornings as the whole pool is roped off into lanes it always keen swimmers with an understanding of lane discipline. any other time of day and there always seems to be lemon in the wrong lane with seemingly no idea.

Junkyard
    Free Member

£3 at council for 12 swims
    £20 a month for unlimited
    £4 for a one off iirc

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

with an understanding of lane discipline

Pet hate, people who stop at the end of the lane on the outgoing side, if you stop there and someone’s overtaking you get hit, if you stand faceing the incoming swimmers they (should) be moving over to the outgoing side if not being overtaken, if they’re overtaken then they’ve got to slow momenteraly and let the faster person pass. Otherwise the faster swimmers got to turn behind the slower guy, and overtake in the middle of the lnegth when invariably someones coming the other way.

Was it just my old pool that had that rule?

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

£3.20 at my local council pool. Lanes, 33 metre, good value.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘How much to swim?’ is closed to new replies.