Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • How much to pay for an Orange Five?
  • sirichmond
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

I am looking at replacing my bike with an Orange Five 2011. Its second hand but not yet registered for warranty with Orange so I should be able to register the bike, only ridden once so as new. Spec is XT throughout with M4 brakes, kashima RP23, Talas Fork, Carbon bar and Hope finishing kit. Maxle upgrade and custom colour. Its on for £2650.

Many Thanks
    Simon

skywalker
    Free Member

Bit steep.

LoCo
    Free Member

Have chat with Sunset in Cardiff for a deal on a new one, maybe.

Matt24k
    Free Member

The key to it’s value is if you can register the warranty. If you 100% can get the warranty as the first owner then it is almost like buying a new bike. The 2011 and 2012 models are the same geometry and this one is Maxle, Kashima and XT so the price sounds right depending on wheel etc spec. The 2012 SE model is around £4500 but that has full XTR etc.

sirichmond
    Free Member

Wheels are painted Mavic 317 with hope hubs but I have some Flows on Hopes to transfer so not too bothered about that. Pricing it up on Orange website has it around 3.5K new.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

x = n+f

x is the cost of a Five
    n is the cost of any other bike
    f is fanboy tax. Usually around £500 over a similarly spec’d bike.

coogan
    Free Member

Does the warranty not stay with the bike so when sold on it’s still under warranty?

nmdbase
    Free Member

No, and it’s only valid with the receipt. Not that much of a deal either.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Does the warranty not stay with the bike so when sold on it’s still under warranty?

No, Orange warranty covers the initial owner only.

goatster
    Free Member

If its second hand and a private sale then look at 50% retail + however much you ‘want’ it. Remember you’ll get at least 10 to 15% off on a brand new one shopping around so quick maths:

New Orange five + pro pack £3700.00 rrp (ish)
    – 15% = £3145 so say £3250 for a new one

half price for the second hand one £1850 + how much you want it (- how much he needs to sell it :))

£2650 seem a bit much to me I would punt at about £2250.00…

T

sirichmond
    Free Member

I’ve never know such biterness towards a brand such as their is with Orange, can I ask why or am I opening a can of worms. The spec on the one I’m looking at is far better than a 2012 lapierre zesty of equal cost and coming from Lapierre bikes I know they are more complex and bottom brackets are a pain. I fancied a Santa Cruz tallboy but they are massively expensive.

granny_ring

goatster, where did you get that formula? Not sure I go along with that…

skywalker
    Free Member

If its second hand and a private sale then look at 50% retail + however much you ‘want’ it. Remember you’ll get at least 10 to 15% off on a brand new one shopping around so quick maths:

New Orange five + pro pack £3700.00 rrp (ish)
    – 15% = £3145 so say £3250 for a new one

half price for the second hand one £1850 + how much you want it (- how much he needs to sell it :))

£2650 seem a bit much to me I would punt at about £2250.00…

How do you manage to get from £1850 to £2250?

sirichmond
    Free Member

Lol, I love this game. Below is the bike in question. So when I say ridden once it really has been, seen it in flesh as well.

Ewan
    Free Member

This should give you some pricing guidelines:

http://cheapofficefurniture.co.uk/metal-filing-cabinets-c-187.html

cabbage84
    Free Member

You can pick ex demo bikes up from alpine bikes for 1680 so that gives you £900 for upgrades on your £2600 budget guide

skywalker
    Free Member

**** me that is ugly.

Buy a new Five Pro. It might not have as good parts, but at least it won’t look like that. Plus you will have warranty.

goatster
    Free Member

How do you manage to get from £1850 to £2250?

Thats the ‘how much you want it part…

Personally it would go the other way, but I don’t want it 🙂

Edit…

Just looked at the picture,I think the how much he needs to sell it part of the equation kicks in. £1500.00 my offer, then ebay!

hora
    Free Member

One ride old? Jesus even I aren’t anywhere near as bad as that. 😐

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ewan – Member
    This should give you some pricing guidelines:

http://cheapofficefurniture.co.uk/metal-filing-cabinets-c-187.html

Genuine LOL, right there…

Cheers 🙂

goatster
    Free Member

Granny ring

My own formula backed up with working in LBS. On the whole for a second hand bike to go for over £2500 it has to be something special.

Just the way I work it out for example I am selling a demo 8 which cost me over £5200 rrp on the bike and parts, I just sold it for 2800 its been ridden for 2 half days! Or half price + a bit.

T

wwaswas

those wheels are quite, errm, vivid aren’t they.

yourmywifenow
    Free Member

If it`s shiney and heavy, buy it! This has only ever let me down a few times

MrNutt
    Free Member

the more you pay the faster it goes.

I’m surprised I even have to type that.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

I’ve never know such biterness towards a brand such as their is with Orange, can I ask why or am I opening a can of worms. The spec on the one I’m looking at is far better than a 2012 lapierre zesty of equal cost and coming from Lapierre bikes I know they are more complex and bottom brackets are a pain. I fancied a Santa Cruz tallboy but they are massively expensive.

You’ve not been on here or BR much then have you 🙂

It’s not towards the brand, it’s the fanboys that think (and preach) that Five is the answer to everything, despite them clearly being over-priced, under-engineered, heavy, dull bikes.

And yes, I rode one in my quest for the perfect 120-140mm travel all-rounder and it wasn’t in the top five!

timmys

A criminally ugly bike with no warranty. Get that cheque book out!

skywalker
    Free Member

So when I say ridden once it really has been

Don’t you think he built it up and though “what the **** have I done”

skywalker
    Free Member

It’s not towards the brand, it’s the fanboys that think (and preach) that Five is the answer to everything, despite them clearly being over-priced, under-engineered, heavy, dull bikes.

Specken sie bullshit.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

You’ve got to love the gold and orange mismatching that’s going on there.

float
    Free Member

looks like someone played ‘how much money can i spunk on a bike’

nmdbase
    Free Member

That is errrr, damn I just puked 🙂

goatster
    Free Member

Could you speak any more BS if you tried?

Here we go:
    It really isn’t the brand, just the 5 and then only the disco black which is clearly slower than a red one, it’s the stupid fanboys that know the Five is the answer to everything form trials to Dh…

Could go on…

and on…

Don’t try and put a limit on BS

T 🙂

lostboysaint
    Free Member

And as if by magic, out they all came. Case for the prosecution rests.

skywalker
    Free Member

No, there is only one of you, the rest of us were giving him some advice and you popped up talking shit.

Scamper
    Free Member

Haven’t the Sweary Northerners done alot for Orange 5 residuals recently?

batfink
    Free Member

I don’t care how good/bad/overpriced it is….. it’s gopping

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve never know such biterness towards a brand such as their is with Orange, can I ask why or am I opening a can of worms.

A lot of people on STW absolutely love their Orange Fives. I’ve never ridden one so I cannot definitively comment either way, but I’ve been put off by the steep cost of the frames and the single pivot design.

It took me an awful long time to figure out that it’s all in the details with this type of suspension design and a lot of folk will tell you that Orange have got it right. Moreover, simply undoing two pinch bolts to drop the old bearings out is a hell of a lot more user friendly than attempting to drive out twelve knackered press fit bearings on a Specialized FSR.

If you’ve test ridden a lot of bikes and know that you want a Five then you’ve at least done your homework. Just shop around, but I’d say that £2.6k is a little steep for a secondhand bike with potentially no warranty backup. It might be an idea to try the BikeScene folk for a Five frame and see if you can build it yourself.

[edits] Oh and I’m glad that you’re going to ditch those rims. They’re a little “challenging” I think!

nmdbase
    Free Member

lostboysaint – Member

Don’t you like your single pivot then 😆

lostboysaint
    Free Member

Yes I do, significantly more than I did the one on yours, that’s why I bought it 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve never know such biterness towards a brand such as their is with Orange, can I ask why or am I opening a can of worms.

You should have seen the comments levelled at Marin until very recently, much the same. It’s a shame that they’ve gone back to making boring looking bikes again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘How much to pay for an Orange Five?’ is closed to new replies.