Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • how much to have a clutch fitted in a VW polo?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

Bugger, mrs just got a new car and advertised her old 53 reg VW Polo 1.2 but I just drove it and the clutch is slipping quite a bit. Can’t flog it like this so assuming worst, what’s a reasonable cost for a new clutch being fitted? Just trying to weigh up whether it’s worth doing and then selling privately or just offloading it to someone like webuyanycar for the £950 they allegedly say they’ll give on website valuation (I suspect they will offer less when they actually see it, so the feedback I have seen says). Any advice appreciated.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Personally I’d say put it on eBay at 99p start, no reserve, and list the clutch fault – you may be surprised at how much you get. Done this a couple of times and final bid has always been higher than I thought it would.

parkesie
    Free Member

Region of 3-400 depending on location and parts used.

Northwind

I stuck my Focus on ebay with a totally banjo’d clutch and an incredibly long and accurate description, set the reserve price as the scrap value. I’d estimated about £900 for it in running order so was a wee bit surprised to get £500 for it knackered. Went off to a bloke in the trade to be done in his spare time, everyone happy. Saw it driving about a while back actually so that’s me double happy, it’d have been a crying shame to scrap it even though it was barely financially viable to fix.

Webuyanycar offered my brother something like a grand for his old van then turned up and offered £150, boy was lucky not to get fed to the pigs tbh but that seems to be their business model.

trail_rat
    Free Member

certainly wouldnt bother fitting a clutch.

someone will buy it “cheap” fix the clutch on their own time for 100 quid in parts and sell it on.

worth taking the hit to get rid than risk potential shafting by garage.(and getting an extra 50 squids)

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Our 04 Skoda Fabia 1.2 cost £325 at a good, local garage, 2 months ago.

RustyMac

For my 53 plate 1.4 FSI Polo it was about £350 in 2010. I’m with trail_rat here, advertise it as is. I would hope someone would pay £600 for it if it has not done a million miles and is in reasonable shape other wise.

redstripe
    Free Member

yep think I’ll just list it with the problem and take what we can get for it, doesn’t seem to make sense spending another £300 + on it at a garage, the on-line prices for clutch kits seem to be about £50 so I’m sure someone competent will do it themselves, cheers

dooosuk
    Free Member

See what WBAC actually offer and if they try to stiff you sell via Ebay without replacing the clutch.

What year is it and how much do good ones sell for though?

redstripe
    Free Member

2003/53 black polo 5 dr 1.2s with towbar air con dab cd radio 91K years MOT tax about to expire, past ones seem to go for about £1500 privately, trade in £900-1000, with this issue, who knows

soops
    Free Member

Where are you based?

redstripe
    Free Member

New Forest, between Bournemouth and Southampton

redstripe
    Free Member

trader has offered £800 as is with clutch going, sounds okay, unless anyone else wants it for a tad more before he collects on Monday…

redstripe
    Free Member

sold now

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘how much to have a clutch fitted in a VW polo?’ is closed to new replies.