Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How much to convert a garage into a room?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Had a price in which to me seems a bit pricy so – how much to:

Knock through from house, install door + lintel etc, timber frame the room (approx 12′ x 10′) insulate, board out, plaster, lighting, radiator, all using materials to ensure it meets building regs.

?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

More than you might imagine. You’d need to insulate the floor as well. £10k plus?

br
    Free Member

Does the price include all the admin, fees and VAT?

If not, add these plus a shed to now keep your bikes in 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Yep – all in price for everything and already looking at sheds (although not for the bikes as fortunately it’s a double garage so they will stay in the garage along with other valuable stuff). 🙂

The price we have is exc. VAT at just shy of £10k so a £12k job + any unexpected extras.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Are you halving the double garage halved and adding a window at the front?
    Does the estimate include the floor being levelled? (There’s usually a slope from back to front of the garage).

johndoh
    Free Member

No, it’ll leave the double garage front and sit in one corner leaving an L shaped garage. Already has a window but that needs the glass swapping from obscure glass. It includes a suspended/ insulated floor. The garage is single skin so it needs fully insulating.

rone

We paid £3.5 for that; shower/toilet compartment and electric heating. Frame, insulation and board.

No window though.

I think it was very much friend prices.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

OK, have you thought about block walls not stud? That’s what I’d go for in a garage, more substantial and soundproof in my opinion. Also you’d only have to board and skim the internal walls.
    However it does sound quite a high price, how many quotes have you had?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Just to give you an idea on price, my friend just got quoted for a full garage conversion including? window, toilet, utility area plus an upstairs bedroom conversion taking down a stud wall and adding an ensuite bathroom for what you were quoted.

You could work out the material cost quite easily.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just the one price so far – definitely getting more quotes though.

johndoh
    Free Member

So here is the list of work:
    Knock through from house to garage installing two concrete lintles to form doorway
    To build stud walls in garage to form room approx3.6m by y 3.7m incorporating a corridor into garage insulate in 4inch kingspan
    Installing a new timber floor in new room in garage and corridor same level as house
    To batten off 2 walls in garage(rear wall and window wall )insulate with 2inch kingspan
    To insulate floor in 4inch kingspan
    To insulate above ceiling in 250 mm loft insulation
    To lay 18 mm chipboard flooring
    To plaster board ceiling in fireboard plaster board
    To plaster board new stud walls (walls in garage in fire board plaster boards
    To plaster skim all new walls and ceiling and make good plaster from nock thru
    To fit 2 new door casings and doors with furniture
    To fit new fire door casing and fire door with furniture into garage
    To fit new skirting boards and archetrives
    To supply and install new radiator to new room
    To change frosted glass in garage to clear
    To fit new mdf window board
    Electrics
    6 downlights to new room
    2 downlights to corridor
    3 double sockets
    To install air bricks for airflow under new floor
    To box in water meter allowing access for reading

dantsw13

John – I did similar a few years back and it was 10kish. It was a timber framed garage and took a month.

daviek

We did this a few years ago, split the double garage in two and knocked through to the hall for access. Builder did the wall to split the garage and bricked up the front, joiner did the framing and fitted the window as I didn’t have time to do the framing everything else was pretty much myself and at a guess id say it was about 6k all in.

benp1

You’re getting rid of garage space?

I want more garage, but my garage is very small.

If I had a double garage I’d be protecting like place from invasions like it was gibraltar

rocketman
    Free Member

Matey had the back of his garage converted into a walk-in shower + toilet + wash basin + heating accessed from inside the house 9k couple of years ago

johndoh
    Free Member

You’re getting rid of garage space?

I want more garage, but my garage is very small.

If I had a double garage I’d be protecting like place from invasions like it was gibraltar
    It’s a double garage and has a pitched roof so although it is being reduced in size I will still retain plenty of workshop/bike storage space fortunately. And with two rapidly growing girls and various musical instruments starting to be learnt we would like them to have a space of their own.

Stoner
    Free Member

great opportunity to do it yourself. Materials arent a huge cost. Of that 10k price I would expect half to be labour.

V satisfying job, and no too complex either. Read the building regs and installation guides for all the construction products and a bit of friendly advice from others and you’ll be fine! 😀

CheesybeanZ

great opportunity to do it yourself. Materials arent a huge cost. Of that 10k price I would expect half to be labour.

V satisfying job, and no too complex either. Read the building regs and installation guides for all the construction products and a bit of friendly advice from others and you’ll be fine!

Get someone else in to do it , it’ll take great big junks of precious riding / family time if you do it yourself .

johndoh
    Free Member

V satisfying job, and no too complex either. Read the building regs and installation guides for all the construction products and a bit of friendly advice from others and you’ll be fine!I am already taking a week off work to do the garden (decking, flagging, fence installation, general tidy) so I don’t fancy losing any more time to DIY 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How much to convert a garage into a room?’ is closed to new replies.